Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I read my 87 has 4" speakers in the doors and 5" in the rear, correct? Can I fit 5.25" in the front door pods and 6.5" in the rear? or should I go with 4" in the front and 5.25" in the rear?

I will probably use Infinity Kappa speakers and an Infinity Basslink sub.
Head unit will be a Pioneer DEH-P450MP.
This unit has a built in 50w X 4 amp. Should I use still use an external amp? I was thinking about using a Sony XM-475GSX 800 Watt 4/3/2 Channel Amp.

Thanks
Fred

·
1,057 Posts
I do not know as much about MKIIIs. But call crutchfield, you do not have to order from them. Just talk to a cust. service rep, they will tell what will fit and are very helpful.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
It depends. Only 89+ had room for 6.5. Pre-89 had 4" stock but a 5 1/4 can be fit with little problems. The rear speakers are all over the place. Every MK3 I have ever seen put something different in the back. Also the 91 that went with the 10 speaker system had speakers in the little vinyl spots next the rear seats, I am unsure of the size though.

·
Registered
166 Posts
MKIII has 4" in the front, 5 in the rear. You can fit 5 1/4 in either, but need to do a little work to make it fit. (the rear fits pretty easy, just make sure of a good fastening/seal or it will sound like crap) The 91 with 10 speakers has 2 three 1/2" by the back seats, I think you can fit a 4 inch, but it's really a pain to get to the speaker. I agree that the best would be to fit a 6 1/2 in the front, you can do it in the little pocket at the bottom of the door, just find a speaker (such as Infinity) with a shallow mounting depth.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I ordered 4 5.25" Infinty kappa 52.5i's. I'll guess I will get the dremel ready and see how they fit.
Thanks everyone for all of your input,

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How much work is it to get a 6.5" in the front locations? I have a 90 if the fit for the different years is different.

·
Some Guy With A Supra
378 Posts
I have an 87, and can you fit 6.5" in the back? If it's possible let me know, and I'd like to put 5.25" in the front instead of 4" like i orginally intended.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok the front door speakers in the 89 MKIII are 4's and anyone know what size the other four speakers in the back are?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just replaced my front component speakers in my '92 NA. I put in Infinity Reference 6 1/2" speakers in the front (not a whole lot better than stock to tell you the truth). Maybe they need breaking in. If any body wants my previous stock set, let me know. I'm still debating what to do in the back. I really like the Infinity Basslink idea but I want to also get some quality in the mid- to upper-range in the rear enclosures. I listen to a lot of rap and the References just don't cut it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got an 87 and the factory speakers are not good at all to say the least. I now have a head unit from a 99 sienna. Planning to replace everything with poineer and put a poineer spare tire sub in back. I think I will also run an external amplifier for rear speakers. Current set up has trouble competing with road noise on highway. Will also be dynamating as much as possible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts