0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the sizes of speakers for an mk3

I know it says for the Mk4

Thanks

·
I'm in the Death Business
1,924 Posts
I believe...correct me if I'm wrong. The fronts you can fit anywhere from 4" in the existing door holes or something up to 6.25 or so in the actual door panel. I did 5.25 components in the front and the rears are 4" however they're REALLY shallow so you need to find speakers that aren't very deep. That's just going off the top of my head but I could be wrong, it's happened before.

·
7M till the END
586 Posts
I have a 91, i fit 6.75" without any need to modify anything except for the new mounting holes which took 2 seconds to get done. i used the pioneers componnents. for the rear, forget about it, in my car its 2 3.5" and 2 4" i think. but i didnt even bother to mess with it, i made a rear seat delete kit and put 2 5 way 6x9 speakers and couldnt be happier. currently working on a custom fiber glass enclosure for the back that will keep the targa top, i am almost done with it, 1 12" angled towards the front.
but anyway, dont expect to get anything even if you change to a better speakers if you change the 4" and the 3.5". change the ones in the doors with 6.5" and get 6x9 boxes and use the pionner TS-6991R, ofcourse you need an amp to get a good clear sound of it. anyway, i typed too much.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi-Voltage is working on a box for 2 12" subs for my car and still be able to store the top in the hatch area.

·
7M till the END
586 Posts
actually i have the enclosure, sub and amp for sale, all almost brand new, less than a week of use. my engine is gone and i need to fix it,
the enclosure replaces the spare tire and uses the same screw that the spare uses to keep it down. i made it angled towards the frotn so you can really feel the bass and i can, my pants shake only at 1/4 way, it feels if someone is knocking on your head if i turn it half way, i dont want to turn it all the way becuae i really dont know what will happen, glass broken? battery exploding? lol.
but anyway, I love kicker becuase it really kicks, even the round ones are awesome as i built the enclosure for 12" round one. i was expecting to sell it so i didnt want to limit the options of subs to only kicker squares.
anyway, if you did fiber glass work before its really easy, you have alot of space to work with, the spare tire space is huge, and i even used more than that to make the bass tight and not shaky like 99% of systems are, especially the normal boxes like from best buy or ebay or that stuff. I built mine as a sealed box, its way nicer in my opinion. if you live in jax or would like to check it out i would love to let you hear it, it will make you start cursing only in 1/4 of the power, trust me, i have a friend who never spoke a bad word in her life (supposably) i just let her sit in my car, and the ohh sh** factor took over. she went insane after it, she kept begging me to build her something similar, lol.
anyway, last words, make it a sealed box, use as much of space as you can, the more air the tighter the bass if the sub is good. make it angled towards the front for two reasons, 1- you will feel it wayyyy more than if its flat in trunk, 2- non of that shaking under the car or wipers or any of that stuff, it will just shake the pedals under your feet, shake the seat and bang you on your head, lol.
finally, choose a good sub, i went with kicker CVR, the new 2005 model, its really nice and not as $$$ as JL which is the only other i like, and it looks much nicer (or ricer, lol) than JL black look.
i went with dual 4 ohm coils becuase i wired it down to a 1 ohm and 300 watts JBL amp is really enough, and thats not even half way. and best part is, it doesnt drain the battery, i am running A/C, 2 amps, 8 speakers and the Sub, headlights, electronics,...etc and no dimming, and dont need a cap or anything. if you want to go the extra step get a deep cycle battery like optima.
ahh, i always write too much. good luck with your project and let me know if you need any help.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well with 3000 watts in the rear I don't think 1 sub will be enough

·
7m > 2jz > 1jz
1,518 Posts
in an mk3 the stock sizes are 4" all the way around.
to put 6.5" all the way around you may need some modification but not to sure.
i would do 5.25" myself because they sound better than 4" and they are really easy to put in the stock size holes. at least thats with the 86.5-88. 89-92 not really sure what the sizes are esspecially the 91-92 b/c they have more speaker holes in the car.

i also myself have a question, i want to buy a bazooka tude 10" and take out the bazook sub and put a alpine type-s sub in the tube. can this be done? does anyone know. lmk plz!!!
-sean

·
7m > 2jz > 1jz
1,518 Posts
in an mk3 the stock sizes are 4" all the way around.
to put 6.5" all the way around you may need some modification but not to sure.
i would do 5.25" myself because they sound better than 4" and they are really easy to put in the stock size holes. at least thats with the 86.5-88. 89-92 not really sure what the sizes are esspecially the 91-92 b/c they have more speaker holes in the car.

i also myself have a question, i want to buy a bazooka tude 10" and take out the bazook sub and put a alpine type-s sub in the tube. can this be done? does anyone know. :dunno: lmk plz!!!
-sean

·
7m > 2jz > 1jz
1,518 Posts
oops srry posted twice.
-sean

·
7M till the END
586 Posts
for teh 91 and 92, the door speakers are 6", we have bigger speaker grills, I still have the stock ones if you want to see. so i just drilled new holes and put 6.75" in htere without a single problem. for tha back, i have a sub and 2 6x9 in the reasr seat delete kit, so i am sure even if replace the speakers with bigger ones, i wont be able to hear anything from them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts