Supra Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I've finally decided that I would stop being the forum cuck and give you guys a look at the progress that has been made on my car since. It's gone through quite a few phases but I feel like I'm slowly crawling towards the end of the build. So lets start off at the beginning.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

In November on 2019, my 1991 Toyota Supra 7MGTE reached the streets of Ontario after making the trip from Winnipeg. The car was bought sight unseen, but from what I could see in the pictures and description it was just what I needed for a fun summer car. It was a joyous day, except when I found no engine oil on the dipstick.... Although it did a cool party trick where if you let it sit overnight, it could smoke out an entire room though. Off to storage it went for the winter.

So it begins...

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle registration plate Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window

The car started off 2020 with a few nice cruises around the area but that didn't last long. A blown heater hose was the first hiccup of the year, but luckily I was only a couple blocks away from home and the fix took me 10 mins. Not long after that the body kit from Shine Auto showed up and that is when the build began. The body kit fit like absolute garbage, so a lot of work went into getting the fitment perfect. Extra layers of fiber glass were added to the skirt and bumper for some extra rigidity since some of the body kit was way to flimsy. The long process of dismantling the body, fixing all the little bumps and dents, and getting it prepped for paint began. My dad was the only reason this whole part of the project was possible and without his help, the car wouldn't be where it is today. I can wrench on any vehicle that comes my way but when it comes to bodywork, I'm more useless than tits on a bull. We decided to go with Porsche's metallic night blue for the paint color after deciding the world didn't need another black car, and figured that it would accent the full blue interior nicely.

During that whole ordeal, I found a clean set of used Work VS-XX's for a reasonable price so I scooped them up. I always loved the looked but couldn't fathom the thought of buying them brand new. The car would of been sitting on some similar XXR's if it wasn't for finding this miracle.

From 0 to 100 to a Dead Stop

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Wheel Land vehicle

The majority of 2021 was a pretty uneventful year for the most part. The car still drank a ton of oil but it was manageable. Had some nice country drives and never left me stranded. The car ended up being used for a few scenes in Canadian Hollywood. Still don't know when the shows going to come out, but you might spot it in Netflix's Painkiller. The end of the driving season had the car get some ceramic coating done to help protect the paint, and it was worth every penny. The car had an even deeper blue shine then it did before I couldn't of been any happier. What seemed like the perfect end to year, then became the start of a whole other episode, and this one was gonna sting.

The project started out as a simple head removal and refresh. Slap in some ARP head studs (oh, to be so naïve), a head gasket, and build a head that could handle my future overkill power goals. The head was getting Brian Crower valves, springs, guides, and locks and that was going to be all, until it wasn't.

Say hello to cylinder number 6...
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

The moral conflict started. Slap it back together and pray nothing happens or was it time for a full build were constantly going through my mind. The CT26 was leaking oil, I had no idea what happened inside my engine, and from the prices I was gathering, I was going to have to shell out big bucks to do the major work I wanted. At the time, the decision was to just absolutely send it and pray nothing happened to my freshly built head. Months went by with this mindset, until one day I met someone who would help solve all of these issues.

My HKS Super Dragger Made Me Do It

I looked, and looked, and looked for an exhaust for the supra. I found a Super Dragger muffler in Malaysia, but I realized that was a terrible idea. I found a CXRacing cat-back for sale but procrastination got the best of me and the exhaust sold the day before I messaged the buyer. Feeling like nothing could go my way, I just stopped looking for one. Then I found the post that changed it all. A brand new Super Dragger only posted up for an hour. Just a few hundred dollar bills later, and it was mine. The seller and I started talking about the future of our builds, and that's when it happened. As his door was closing, mine was opening. He had everything I needed, and he was getting rid of all of it. A few more, more like a lot more, hundred dollar bills exchanged hands, and then we get to where we are today.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Rim

Font Material property Paper Paper product Parallel

The build is practically all there. I bought everything but the head, suspension, and driveline. All the block work was done and just needs to be assembled. The only hiccup with this is that it turned out to be a 7MGE block, which concerned me at first but after some long thoughts, didn't really bother me.
Which leads me to today. After waiting for many months, My BC264 showed up and is currently being added to the head, my HKS stopper head gasket has arrived from Japan, and my ACT 6 puck clutch has arrived. I have a new-to-me OEM flywheel being sent off for machining and am hoping on getting the rest of my parts here in the next coming months. I'll have a complete parts list link posted at some point once I get everything together. A complete 6AN fuel system, a full Marlin Crawler transmission rebuild, and many miscellaneous parts still need to be gathered to finish the build.

I'll probably start a new thread on a full 7MGE NA-T conversion just to help out anyone else that's thinking about going this route. If you made it to the end thanks for reading the full story and hopefully I'll have some good updates for you guys before the end of the year.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will you please explain the term “7MGE NA-T”? Until recently I thought it was different that 7m/ge and was corrected with the ge is na.

Thank you. Nice build. Will be watching.
You're right, the engine being a GE does mean that its non-turbo (NA). The term NA-T is just saying that its being changed from naturally aspirated to turbo. Would be the same as saying a Turbocharged 7MGE, but its just easier writing it out as 7MGE NA-T

1 - 2 of 2 Posts