Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am new to the MK3 Supra game and I am hoping you guys could point me in the right direction for carbon fiber parts. I have read that some shops are better then others when it comes to fit and finish or not getting ripped off. I am mainly looking for the other body molding if anyone makes it. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1987 MA71 R154 Pearl White, Blue Velour
536 Posts
Greets! Welcome to the forum. I don't have carbon fiber info but I'm sure someone will chime in shortly.

·
Super Moderator
10,179 Posts
Hi I am new to the MK3 Supra game and I am hoping you guys could point me in the right direction for carbon fiber parts. I have read that some shops are better then others when it comes to fit and finish or not getting ripped off. I am mainly looking for the other body molding if anyone makes it. Thanks for the help
There's been a few guys that have done low volume one-off kinds of carbon body molding kits, and most were pretty meh as far as fitment etc.

If someone were to make a carbon body molding set that wasn't total ass and was under $500, I have a feeling they'd be perpetually backordered. Hell, I'd buy two sets right now and I'm barely thinking about building a MK3 again!

Reactions: Dumeinao

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Has anyone had good luck with retro-spec carbon fiber I have read about the issues people have had with them but they seem to make all the stuff I want

·
Registered
917 Posts
Has anyone had good luck with retro-spec carbon fiber I have read about the issues people have had with them but they seem to make all the stuff I want
His quality sucks and he has a tendency to take money and never deliver product.

Shine Auto Product is the only carbon parts manufacturer that I could recommend at this point. Unfortunately their selection for the MK3 is rather small.

I am mainly looking for the other body molding if anyone makes it.
@te72 got the CF trim from him IIRC

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
His quality sucks and he has a tendency to take money and never deliver product.

Shine Auto Product is the only carbon parts manufacturer that I could recommend at this point. Unfortunately their selection for the MK3 is rather small.

@te72 got the CF trim from him IIRC
Sounds about right all around, and you remembered correctly Alan. My stuff from Shine appears to be very much a quality part, but their selection is somewhat limited. I only WISH they made the trim for our cars...

Fitment on my side trim is uh... well, not very good, if I'm being generous. I just assumed it was my "talents" showing when it came to body panel alignment. :p

·
Registered
4 Posts
I ordered $2000 worth of parts from Retro-spec almost two years ago. I have yet to receive anything but empty promises and sob stories about how he's still trying to recover from the fire that happened like 6 months after I ordered my stuff. Yet I see him on instagram saying stuff like "cleaning off my shelves, hit me up if you want one" with pics of parts I already paid for but never received. 0/10. Would not wish that shitty company on my worst enemy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you think people would be interested in seeing if a company like shine could make set we did got a group buy together

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you think people would be interested in seeing if a company like shine could make set we did got a group buy together
I think that's a great idea! If Shine is willing to make the parts, I'm sure a ton of people would be willing to go in on a group buy.

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,527 Posts
Perusing through Shine. I remembered that the word on the street was the FD RX-7 rear diffusers worked with the A70 Chassis.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Perusing through Shine. I remembered that the word on the street was the FD RX-7 rear diffusers worked with the A70 Chassis.
Caveat, I seem to recall that exhaust placement can require some fitment hurdles, but nothing that can't be overcome.

On the suggestion of getting Shine to take up the mantle, I'm all for it. I already have a set of carbon belt line trim, and I'd hop on that if Shine were to offer it. Heck, it doesn't even have to be CF, I'd take their proprietary flexible stuff that they use too.

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,527 Posts
Caveat, I seem to recall that exhaust placement can require some fitment hurdles, but nothing that can't be overcome.
Yes, that sounds about right.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Where did you get the carbon fiber trim from
Retro-spec. Sorry, thought I had replied to your earlier posts asking about this. Buyer beware though...

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
What seems tto be the issue with them? I really need new trim seems someone rhino lined mine.
Fitment was... well, to be polite... terrible. I won't pretend to be a body fitment expert, not by a long shot, but I'm not entirely useless when it comes to fabrication either. I'd be willing to bet that the gap between my driver side door rear edge and the trim between the rear tire and door edge, probably about 3/8" inch or larger.

The rear L-shaped trim pieces are angled to a point that it just looks wonky. The bolts that are integrated into the trim pieces rarely, if ever, lined up with the existing holes on the body.

That, and I was promised a piece to match the rest of the trim for the rear center panel, that never showed up. I wouldn't buy from them again, although I will admit that the appearance of the trim is pretty good. Just wish the fitment wasn't so bad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fitment was... well, to be polite... terrible. I won't pretend to be a body fitment expert, not by a long shot, but I'm not entirely useless when it comes to fabrication either. I'd be willing to bet that the gap between my driver side door rear edge and the trim between the rear tire and door edge, probably about 3/8" inch or larger.

The rear L-shaped trim pieces are angled to a point that it just looks wonky. The bolts that are integrated into the trim pieces rarely, if ever, lined up with the existing holes on the body.

That, and I was promised a piece to match the rest of the trim for the rear center panel, that never showed up. I wouldn't buy from them again, although I will admit that the appearance of the trim is pretty good. Just wish the fitment wasn't so bad.
Thanks for the save! I almost ordered a set the other day.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Thanks for the save! I almost ordered a set the other day.
As much as I hate to stand in the way of a guy making a buck, sometimes it is necessary. A reputation lives or dies based on your product, primarily, and your service, secondarily. In this case, neither were up to anything I would call a standard.

Really is a shame, as I do want to support those who go out of their way to sell Mk3 parts. Just... make QUALITY Mk3 parts, please. I think the days where us Mk3 guys earned a reputation for being cheap have passed. Not saying I want to pay artificially inflated prices or anything, but I'd be willing to pay quality prices for quality parts.

·
Registered
296 Posts
As much as I hate to stand in the way of a guy making a buck, sometimes it is necessary. A reputation lives or dies based on your product, primarily, and your service, secondarily. In this case, neither were up to anything I would call a standard.

Really is a shame, as I do want to support those who go out of their way to sell Mk3 parts. Just... make QUALITY Mk3 parts, please. I think the days where us Mk3 guys earned a reputation for being cheap have passed. Not saying I want to pay artificially inflated prices or anything, but I'd be willing to pay quality prices for quality parts.
This makes me sad because I really want the retro-spec lower front window molding / wiper cowl piece and I just emailed them inquiring about it :(

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
This makes me sad because I really want the retro-spec lower front window molding / wiper cowl piece and I just emailed them inquiring about it :(
Well pham, I would think that piece would be a bit less of a risk, considering it screws on. The side trim has integrated bolts, so if they get that wrong, things don't install correctly. The cowl panel, you might be alright on.

Or you could just do what we did with mine, remove it, clean it up, and plastidip the spots where the black coating has chipped off. Considering how tucked under the hood it is, it's an acceptable method for a turd like my car. Yours though... hmm. Maybe strip the thing completely and have it powder coated?

Reactions: pham
1 - 20 of 22 Posts