Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Toyota Supra N/A
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Again I'm posting because my broken Supra seems to still be causing problems.

So she has a very werid start pattern and sometimes just decided not to start, even though the battery, alternator, and starter (new) all check out.

Now just today I started the car and it started however all off a sudden the tac and temp gauge shut off after bouncing around 1-2k rpm, and the battery light came on. After running the car for a bit I shut it off and went to start it again and it didn't start at all, no power to anything (clock, windows, ac, ignition).

So obviously I have bad wiring issues and I was wondering if any of you know how to pin point the problem or know off any common fault points. I've already redone the connection between the factory wiring harness and the starter.

Thanks!

·
Registered
86 Toyota Supra N/A
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just a little update:

I pulled the Ignition fuse and replaced it and it started up. Battery light turned OFF and temp and tac worked fine.

Then I shut it off and no power again!!!

This confirms my suspicion of it being an electrical problem and is 100% out of my knowledge. If anyone had some info that would be great but I think I'm going to have to take the car to an electrical shop.

·
Registered
86 Toyota Supra N/A
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey so I went over everything in both fuse boxes and found that my alternator fusible link is in very bad condition and is not making proper contact. (I can wiggle it loose). Could this be the problem?

Besides that the rest of the fuse box wiring looks perfect and making good contact so I don't think it needs a rewire.

Attachments

·
Registered
1987 Supra Turbo R154 Pearl White, Blue Velour
497 Posts
I would replace that for sure. Also, something may be up with your alternator. I just changed mine a couple of weeks ago. It was working fine until I went through a car wash (high pressure touchless type). I think it's just coincidence but after the wash, I had 3 lights on the dash come on and stay on. Battery, Brake and Tail light. I knew from my 4Runner that 3 random lights like that were a warning of sorts so I searched it and everyone said alternator.

I ordered a new unit from Driftmotion and it fixed my problem. Honestly the car seems to run better and windows are faster etc.

I don't know the age or condition of your alternator but if you run into a dead end you might try that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts