Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new hood latch for my car, mine is 29 years old & I'm afraid it will release under hard driving & fly open and break my windshield & smash my roof. Does anybody know what hood latch can be used is a replacement? I have hood locks but since my car has an almost mint body I don't want holes cut into my hood. I don't even care if it's not a Toyota Part, as long as it fits & works. Toyota has discontinued all MK3 Supra Hood latches.

PLEASE HELP

·
Registered
751 Posts
Like, the whole latch mechanism? Nothing aftermarket or OEM will work without significant work to the hood and/or upper radiator support.

The good news is the actual latch mechanism is very durable and unlikely to fail unless it's been compromised by collision damage or heavy corrosion.

What about your latch is making you uneasy about it?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like, the whole latch mechanism? Nothing aftermarket or OEM will work without significant work to the hood and/or upper radiator support.

The good news is the actual latch mechanism is very durable and unlikely to fail unless it's been compromised by collision damage or heavy corrosion.

What about your latch is making you uneasy about it?
It's just old & I have too much money invested in this car to have the roof smashed should the hood fly open. I was thinking of shortening the springs for strength, the part is original & has been on the car for 29 years.

·
Registered
751 Posts
The only spring that's used for hood retention is the one on the secondary catch. On the primary catch it's there to pop the hood up when the mechanical lock on the latch is released via the release cable. The actual locking of the latch is done via mechanical interference. Take it off, pull the springs, and play around with the mechanism and you'll see what I mean.

If you're really concerned about the hood coming unlatched, make sure the cable does not have tension on the latch mechanism while it's latched and adjust the hood stoppers up front next to the headlight motors and the stoppers on the fenders behind the headlights. Those will eliminate any play in the hood that can cause it to bounce on the latch at speed.

The OEM hood and latch system is actually rather robust and I can't say I've seen or heard of one failing on its own in probably the last 15+ years.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only spring that's used for hood retention is the one on the secondary catch. On the primary catch it's there to pop the hood up when the mechanical lock on the latch is released via the release cable. The actual locking of the latch is done via mechanical interference. Take it off, pull the springs, and play around with the mechanism and you'll see what I mean.

If you're really concerned about the hood coming unlatched, make sure the cable does not have tension on the latch mechanism while it's latched and adjust the hood stoppers up front next to the headlight motors and the stoppers on the fenders behind the headlights. Those will eliminate any play in the hood that can cause it to bounce on the latch at speed.

The OEM hood and latch system is actually rather robust and I can't say I've seen or heard of one failing on its own in probably the last 15+ years.
I will try that, thank you much

·
YotaMD.com author
718 Posts
It sounds to me like you just need to adjust the latch and/or the bumpers which support the hood. If the bumpers are set too low, the hood can appear bouncy and unstable. If you adjust the bumpers up to the proper place (so they make contact with the hood), the hood will seem much more stable.

If your bumpers aren't all new, replace those first.

·
Registered
751 Posts
The sheer number of cars I've seen without the rubber on those things is amazing.

It's part # 53382-14010 and I just got a set from McGeorge Toyota at $4.36 each. That includes the bolt itself and the rubber bumper. Price may vary depending on who you order from.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It sounds to me like you just need to adjust the latch and/or the bumpers which support the hood. If the bumpers are set too low, the hood can appear bouncy and unstable. If you adjust the bumpers up to the proper place (so they make contact with the hood), the hood will seem much more stable.

Thank you much

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The sheer number of cars I've seen without the rubber on those things is amazing.

It's part # 53382-14010 and I just got a set from McGeorge Toyota at $4.36 each. That includes the bolt itself and the rubber bumper. Price may vary depending on who you order from.
Toyota dealers still sell these parts for MK3 Supra's?

·
YotaMD.com author
718 Posts
Toyota dealers still sell these parts for MK3 Supra's?
Absolutely. Many mk3 parts are still available new. Many are not, so it's hit or miss. Those bumpers are common across many models and years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts