Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what type of rebuild kit would be good to fix rod knock on a 7m-gte motor

·
Registered
863 Posts
You're going to have to pull the motor apart to see how much damage is done before any decision on what needs to be purchased can be made.

At the very least you will need bearings, piston rings, and a complete gasket kit. You may need a rod(s), crankshaft, oil pump, etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're going to have to pull the motor apart to see how much damage is done before any decision on what needs to be purchased can be made.

At the very least you will need bearings, piston rings, and a complete gasket kit. You may need a rod(s), crankshaft, oil pump, etc.
It’s minor damage, it has a light knocking sound, I just don’t know what a good company is to buy the rebuild kit from with everything for the internals

·
Registered
879 Posts
rebuilt a rod knock motor myself. it only knocked at certain rpm points / loads. I would say a light knock as far as rod knock goes. anyway, needed to replace my crank with a reground unit, 1 rod to get it right. while I was in there I did new (japan mfg nippon) pistons, felpro multi layer steel gasket (mls), arp studs, new asin oil pump (shimmed) and new seals, belts, hoses

good luck finding a kit that is quality! you really need oem gasket set, most other lip seals (main, cams) will leak or blow out easy. ask me how I know.... started with felpro everywhere and now have oem toyota front, rear, oil drive shaft, cam seals. oh and oem fpig on the oil pan bc gaskets don't work there.

honestly you have to make a lot of decision to even decide what you need. what the hp goal ?

oem style or improved hard parts (rods and pistons)

oem style HG or have the deck and head machined to proper ra for a metal gasket. my felpro mls runs on stock surfaces

what main/rod bearings. you have to grind the crank to get rid of oem select a size bearings, but your rod knock crank could be toast, mine was bent, it was not the bearing surface that was the issue

how far to take the head. once you take the valves out and machine them, welcome to the world of shim under bucket assemble, check, disassemble, reassemble time vampire hell

do some searching on here - I know the basic search sucks but the advanced search can get you to some decent mk3 section 7m build threads where people pick apart each component and go over different options

set the ring gap right, double check the bearings (measure and verify with plastiguage), be meticulous at assembly and you can have a good result.

im happy with my home brew rebuild. holding 15psi, taken tons and tons of abuse over several years now :)

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,499 Posts
It’s minor damage, it has a light knocking sound,
So, you've already taken it apart and inspected the crankshaft journals with a micrometer? Or, are you going by your ear to inspect the crank by having the engine running?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, you've already taken it apart and inspected the crankshaft journals with a micrometer? Or, are you going by your ear to inspect the crank by having the engine running?
I’m going by ear because I can hear the knocking, I just wanna know what’s the best rebuild kit I can get for my 7m-gte because I honestly don’t know any good companies for parts

·
Registered
879 Posts
elmhurst toyota (oem gaskets) / rockauto / ebay

people rip on the last one bc you have to be careful. for example, no you dont want the cheapest gasket set / cheep turbo from ebay. some really junky stuff on there... but you do want oem nippon brand pistons from ebay. ebay also has upgrade parts for the ct26 (rebuild kits, improved thrust bearings/ billet compressor wheels / improved exhaust turbines). intercoolers, silicone hose kits, name brand wideband / engine management systems, they are on ebay as well. Its not so much were you by stuff, but what it is you buy...

OP when you say "I honestly dont know any good companies for parts"

some of us og's read it like : your saying you don't know anything about mechanics / rebuilding an engine or any of that stuff. this is not the simplest engine to learn to rebuild on.

what Chevy dude is telling you is you dont know at all the condition of your engine. you can't diagnose by sound. there could be metal shavings all over in there. you have to disassemble (like its a crime scene being careful to not destroy evidence) and evaluate what you have to see where to go with it

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,499 Posts
madisonMK3 said:
I’m going by ear because I can hear the knocking.
That's exactly what I suspected.

madisonMK3 said:
what Chevy dude is telling you is you dont know at all the condition of your engine. you can't diagnose by sound. there could be metal shavings all over in there. you have to disassemble (like its a crime scene being careful to not destroy evidence) and evaluate what you have to see where to go with it
Yes, that's exactly what I'm getting at.

See that picture? That was the headgasket on my old "White Wagon" Supra. That damn 7M ran perfectly smooth, and so damn perfectly quiet you couldn't even tell it was on! What was cobbling it together was what's left of that headgasket. It seemed fine, no big deal, but I didn't know anything until I took it apart; which is inline with what you're saying, Binadu.
bhg3.jpg
In a perfect world, It should look like this, just squished a little. My situation was exactly like yours. I didn't know how bad it was until I tore into it. Actually, the crankshaft situation could be worse, as it could be irreparable and beyond serviceability.

madisonMK3 said:
OP when you say "I honestly dont know any good companies for parts"

some of us og's read it like : your saying you don't know anything about mechanics / rebuilding an engine or any of that stuff.

Also, exactly what I'm getting at.

Attachments

·
Registered
863 Posts

Where you get parts from will be largely dependent on where you live. If you live in Guam you probably want to buy everything from the same vendor to save the hassle on shipping 10 different packages to a small island in the Pacific ocean.

But first you need to figure out what you need before you worry about what brand to buy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts