Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
...heading for 500+ RWHP
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find out if you can put a single 10" or 12" sub in the back hatch of a 91 MK3 with the spare tire and the targa top in the hatch too?

Let me clairafy...I saw a MK3 (w/ targa and spare in hatch)at a meet last week with a 12 in the back ( very tight fit!) But is this safe for your sub...I've heard that there isn't enough mounting depth for a sub to hit good...any comments? Advise?

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,351 Posts
Well I've mounted my 11" inside the spare tire (had to cut the bolt holder, and get it welded back in shorter, then turn the spare upside down, and cut out some wood, and bolt it down, it makes a nice seal around the spare tire.

The top piece of plywood was glued onto particle board, and bolts down nicely. I'm going to be getting an upholstery shop to sew in a piece of thin fabric right above the sub, so that it has a lot of room to breath ;)

·
evil will always triumph
2,225 Posts
i have 2 10's in the back of my supra with no clearance problems... and they are kenwood excelon subs too....

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Supraluva said:
I got 2 10's to fit...:D

One thing I always wondered with a system like this, is what happens if a tail light or a rear marker burns out. Can you still get to the access panels?

C

·
0 Posts
Does anyone know of a normal box that you could just buy that would fit the targa as opposed to a complete custom setup which costs a lot?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Nothing off the shelf, unless someone is selling theirs. You MIGHT be able to get a standard hatch box in there if you cut the plywood false floor so it could rest on the real floor, but I doubt there is enough clearance to the targa. Perhaps with 10's you would stand a better chance this way.

Bob

·
Hardtopper
13,043 Posts
This is what I had in the MK3, and it slammed!! Take off the false floor and spare tire.. the box was custom built for the Supra so it runs the full width of the rear and just high enough to cover the targa by almost 1/4 of an inch

I have something very similiar to SupraLuva's in my MKIV and my targa fits perfect there too

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
and also, how much did that system cost supralova? why didnt you go with better subs, just wondering? I must say, that is one BEUTIFUL set up! :bigthumb: :hail: :rockon: :wackit: :aroused:

·
Hardtopper
13,043 Posts
I believe he bought his car with all that already in it.

Systems like that can get up there.. in the thousands. My similiar setup was just under 8k.

T

·
0 Posts
Cz213 said:
Does anyone know of a normal box that you could just buy that would fit the targa as opposed to a complete custom setup which costs a lot?
Can check out mine onwww.cardomain.com/id/toyotastud
I built a box for not too much money which works decent. I also could have actually made it so the targa still fit but my measurements ended up a little off so the box ended up taller than it needed to be. I got two 12's in the box and my spare tire is still in the original location although its a pain if you need to get to it. I ended up with a blow out a week after I built my box. I plan to do something else later on but this is just temporary. Also supraluva I really like your setup.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Supraluva said:
I got 2 10's to fit...:D

as for changing the tail light bulbs,

i think the panels might be removeable , notice the seeration lines on the box.

What im intrested in knowing is how the sytem sounds when you ahve the targa in the trunk? does it rattle ?
is it muffled???
I was thinking of doing a trnk setup in my car but have to find out how it would sound first...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts