Supra Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I cruised on the highway at about 60 miles per hour, I here a non-mistakable sound of a bov valve not too far behind. I look in my mirror and I see a 94+ 3000GT VR4 twin turbo. After waiting for him to line up with me, i see him downgearing, so I quickly downgeared my car to third and try on taking him. He got the head start and wen boost kicked in I started pulling on him. I was pulling on him in every gear until i was going 100+ i was scared of cops so i decided to shift into 5th and he took me out fast, after upgearing to 5th. It wasnt a bad race, i gave him the thumbs up and we both went out the nex exit and i asked him how much boost he was running and he told me 15 psi. I raced him at 14 psi of boost and also with 4 people in my car (he had one). Not bad considering I was keeping up with him.
I have these parts.
HKS Downpipe, EVC1, FCON, Super Mega Flow
Apexi N1 exhaust, Stillen brakes and Magnecor Wires
POWER OF A MK3

L

·
0 Posts
hahaha

well stillen breaks is about $1000 same price as a VPC so and extra 30 hp right there hahahah LAm

·
Twin-Turbos 2X the Proble
806 Posts
Hmmmmm I dunno about that one man, at 14psi you should be making about 320hp Max, a 3000GT TT @ 15psi should be 400 or over horsepower. I've been in a 14psi 3000GT VR-4 and its REALLY fast, but anything can happen, but with 4 people in your car? maybe he was broken or something.

----------------------------------------------
88 Supra Turbo

E

·
0 Posts
:bsflag:

MAYBE if he was stock you could pull on him on the highway b/c it is so heavy with awd but with 4 people in the car you weighed more than him. dont think so

·
Registered
34 Posts
eyebrowski said:

MAYBE if he was stock you could pull on him on the highway b/c it is so heavy with awd but with 4 people in the car you weighed more than him. dont think so
Negro your only 17 what you know about awd or the VR4? Actually stock boost on a vr4 is 12psi I believe, which is only makes it about 340? and they are heavy depending on which model. The awd effectiveness is lost after the launch as seen on awd eclipse against fwd ones on the highway.

C

·
0 Posts
i beleive that they are 320 hp on all the newer models,

i dont know why everyone is so down on you, i can see it happening. its not like you even said you slaughtered him by 10 cars lengths, you siad you were pulling on him and then you both got off at the next exit lol

·
Turbo Fire Truck Driver
559 Posts
I find this one a little hard to believe (but I wasn't there... so I guess take this with a grain of salt). First of all, you really need to check your figures before you go shooting your mouth off about weight... the Mk3 Supra Turbos weigh in at over 3500 lbs. ( the mk4s are about 3400). Now, if this guy had *4* people in his car with him (let's just assume an average of 150lbs a person)... that's an additional 600 lbs of weight. That puts his car at about 4100 lbs. Now, granted, the VR4 is a porker at 3800lbs, but it's also has 90 more horse stock than the Mk3 Supra. So if you add 150lbs for the driver for his car, he's still underweighing the Supra. Plus if he's running 15lbs of boost (and he's a knowledgeable VR4 owner) you can probably bet he's upgraded his fuel system. I guess I need everyone else's help to draw a conclusion to this one because I honestly don't know a whole lot about the Mk3 Supras. Personally 320hp @ 14 psi sounds a little high... but as I just said, I don't know much about them.
I'd raced a few Mk3s when I had my VR4 and I never had any problem with them, but I was also pretty far from stock *and* I never did any 60 - 100 mph races with them either. The VR4 really isn't very strong up high, but damn those AWD launches are fun. Most of the street racing I did with mine was from a stop so I'd get a several car-length lead right off the launch. That was often enough to make most people give up before the speeds got too insane. Though I did take a 2001 Trans-Am Ram-Air WS6 from 70 to 160 out on the Ohio turnpike last winter. :) One downside of AWD (which is why I sold mine with the intention of buying a MK4 Supra) is that with those fantastic launches you also have the risk of grenading your transmission or the transfer case. I've done one launch with my VR4 where I rev'd it up to redline and side-stepped the clutch. It was like being shot off an aircraft-carrier's catapult. But I never did it again for fear of exploding my $7000 (replacement cost) tranny. It's a beautiful sight too... nearly makes the front wheels come off the ground! And the looks you get... *sigh* I miss my VR4. :(

Wes

G

·
0 Posts
vr-4's have 320 at the flywheel. but since the tranny sux and its all wheel drive, (power loss throught transfer case) most modded mk3's could run with them from a roll. but from a stop since its all wheel drive mk3's have nothing on the vr-4

·
Senior
1,475 Posts
Not an impossible scenario. Same displacement, lighter or equal Supra, VR4 1 psi greater boost. Let's do a rematch from a roll, o.k.?:D

·
0 Posts
hehehe.......

Hey guys, I've raced a 91 VR4 and both of us are stock. Yeah....he out laurched me 2 cars because it was the first time I've raced my car with a 5-speed tranny and I stalled and start moving at about 1k rpm. I was very suprised I pulled up to him everytime I shift to the next gear. Yeah, the VR4 has 300hp, 91, but it loses about 35-40% hp to the wheel and our supra only loses about 10-15% of 232hp, which makes it about the same hp to the wheel. I figured that since the VR4 is heavier, that's why I keep catching up.

Not to dis anyone with a GT, but diffinitely my supra will kill my friend's VR4 on the freeway. I've driven his VR4 and it is sluggest. I notices the gears ratio on the VR4 are too far apart.
the supra pulls harder on from 60 on....

peace!!

·
0 Posts
this is for anyone with or use to own a GT VR4.

I was just curious what kinds of mileage did you get from a full tank of gas?

because my friend with the VR4 always braggs about him getting 350-380 miles full tank.

does the trip (mileage counter) tends to be fast? It does to me....as compare to with my mk3.... or my mk3 is slow....because I get about 280 miles full tank. man his counter be rolling fast.....

I know GT has bigger tank, but it's only like 1 gallon more.

Thanks,

·
Turbo Fire Truck Driver
559 Posts
The driveline loss on a VR4 is about 25%, not 40%. Secondly, the 91s have 300 hp, vs 320 in the 94+. Also, the later models are a bit lighter since the Active Aero system was removed from 97 on.

That does sound about right about the mileage. When mine was stock I consistently got over 300 miles per tank (if I wasn't fooling around too much). I usually filled up right between 1/4 and Empty, but if I ran it down to E... it would probably be up in that range. Once I put the bigger injectors and fuel pump in, my mileage suffered horribly though. If you stay off the twins the car's pretty efficient for a sports car. It's rated at 18/24 cty/hwy and I think it has like a 20 gallon tank (these are for the 94 models).

The other problem with the VR4's is their little 9B turbos run out of steam in the upper RPM ranges. After I'd upgraded the fuel system on mine I would run it with the boost controller set at 17 psi, but I would notice that by redline it was only holding 10 or 12 psi. Another reason they don't do well in highway speed drag races. I want a 6-speed Supra really bad, but after having been spoiled with the VR4's traction and launches, I have a feeling I'm going to be very frustrated with getting traction in a 6-speed Supra.

Wes

I

·
0 Posts
i have an 89t at 10 psi boost and my friend has a vr-4 dont no what year. But i put the nitto 555r's on and he can bearly beat me off the line. i launch at 4 and he launches at around 6, off the line the most he pulls is his car door to my front bummper and i have video to prove it. and any time i race him from a roll hes toast. so i belive his storie. His vr4 has intake, full exhasut and shimmed waste gates. So i think he did it!

If any doesnt believe pm me and ill email you any of my 30 videos
of me kicking his A##!

Even when we swaped cars his car still lost
curse of the misu

·
500Rwhp+ Club Member
270 Posts
I just raced a VR-4 last weekend and at the stop light using my levelten auto and 3200 stall I pulled on him right from the start.
I had no problem blowing him big time away and Dean Lapointe @ CT {well was here in So Cal then} was a witness of this.
I also on the same day would have destoyed a C5 corvette but didn't know the race was started till Dean in my MKIV and the corvette were 3 cars ahead. I punched from a 40 mile speed and a few seconds later I was side to side on that corvette and pulling till we hit traffic.

I believe both were stock...

·
0 Posts
when I raced my friends 91 VR4, it's not all that fast from start. he's always bragging his VR4 is fast off the line. I don't see it much faster than my supra. anyways, me and him is planning on going to the VR4 meet sometime in late July and we will run together and I will have it on video.

the highest he ever laurch was 4,000 rpm. He is afraid his transfer case will blow. yeah...it churp but slow to me....and he say it's fast. lol.

W

·
0 Posts
i have one friend with a VR4, and one with a Stealth RTtt.

VR4 guy took out his air filter, and raised the boost to 18psi and he was running 12.60's @ 109mph. he later replaced his clutch, raised to bar to 21psi (on stock fuel), and stripped the heck out of the interior and he ran a best of 12.20's @ 113mph. i mean all he was running was the drivers seat and dashboard with instruments. he would redline and dump that clutch like it wasn't his car (1.6's sixties). he ended up running lean to long and fried his piston rings. it didn't take him long to do that.

Stealth guy had catback exhaust, K&N, and ProfecB set at 15psi and was only running 13.60's @ 103mph. now he wouldn't launch that car hard at all. what's important here is his mph.

when i had K&N, cartech Downpipe, exhaust, speaco intercooler, 550cc's, Magnecor's and EVCIII set at 1bar on stock CT26 i was running 104mph.

it's a believable race to me. when you say you were pulling on him i'm assuming it was a slow creep. i'm sure you didn't blow his doors off. VR4's can have one hell of a launch, but top end isn't it's best feature.

EDIT: VR4 friend was running 113mph, not 111mph.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.