Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
me and a friend was heading home on the interstate the other night when a cobalt pulled up and started to rev at me. First I thought it was just a na with a stupid muffler, It didnt have the usual wing or stock ss wheels. He passed by me and I heard a loud super charger whine, I was like well he must be a ss. I geared down to third and pulled back up beside him. We paced each other for a moment and then took off, thought that I would instantly leave him but I did not! lol he stayed beside me through most of my third gear. Once I pulled into 4th I started pulling away though, by 135mph or so he was 5 or 6 lengths back.
I was boosting 15psi (probably 400hp or so crank) so the little cobalt must have had some mods to hang even as well as it did. The super charger was loud, never been able to hear it on them before stock.

·
You serious?
2,999 Posts
Just because it has an SS badge, doesn't mean that it's the supercharged model. Even on the SS, the SC is an option.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
or vica versa

there are aftermarket kits to but a SC on the base model cobalt as well...

·
Registered
299 Posts
I own a stock MKIII and I work for GM. I drive those little SS's all the time. It definatly wasn't stock as the stock SS is quick but definatly not faster then a MKIII. Off the line I can see the SS taking it. but on the highway i dont think so. They have stage kits now for the SS, a smaller pully gear, bigger injectors, and a preformance exhuast. I read it only adds around 35 horses and 30 ft/lbs though.

·
You serious?
2,999 Posts
They have stage kits now for the SS, a smaller pully gear, bigger injectors, and a preformance exhuast. I read it only adds around 35 horses and 30 ft/lbs though.
30 extra horses to a FWD vehicle that weighs 2806lbs is pretty much, considering. For four bangers, the Cobalt and SRT-4 aren't that bad. I don't understand how some people say "it's still a neon" or whatever to the cobalt. Even someone knowing nothing about cars could tell you they are two different cars.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
the ecotec engines are pretty damn powerful, especially when you build them with GM's help

they have a drag car that has something like 85% stock parts that puts out over 1000hp...

now an STR-4....it's a damn neon!!! I've been raped by one, but it's STILL a neon...

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Good run OP.....400hp is pretty good..What do you trap???.......SS give stock 350z's a decent run up till about 100mph then the Z just pulls away...A "stock" MKIII is not faster than a Cobalt SS....SS traps low 14's @ 96-98mph from what Ive seen....Correct me if Im wrong but Ive never seen a "stock" MKIII hit those numbers especially with all that weight to push around. Still love those MKIII's...Got a few of them here in BK that looks great....Any big pics???

·
Registered
794 Posts
I raced one in my JZA70. He got raped pretty bad. I actually pulled out because at a certain point, I was only racing myself. Check your setup. You should murder him as well.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good run OP.....400hp is pretty good..What do you trap???.......SS give stock 350z's a decent run up till about 100mph then the Z just pulls away...A "stock" MKIII is not faster than a Cobalt SS....SS traps low 14's @ 96-98mph from what Ive seen....Correct me if Im wrong but Ive never seen a "stock" MKIII hit those numbers especially with all that weight to push around. Still love those MKIII's...Got a few of them here in BK that looks great....Any big pics???

I posted this kill and forgot all about it.lol The last time I went to the track I ran [email protected], car is 3600lbs as it sits and im 250lbs. The car wasnt tuned and was running pig rich at the time of that track run. My goal is to hit 112-115mph in the 1/4 with more boost. You are right though, a stock mk3 is not faster than a stock cobalt. stock mk3's trap around 91-93mph I think and high 14s to low 15s ets. Ive ran nose to nose with a c6 vette at the same boost so I was just suprised when the cobalt kept up for as long as it did. I respect it as well as the srt4 neon but would hate to lose to one.lol

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
My friend has a 05 cobalt ss sc wit the stage 2 package.(smaller pulley, injectors)Only other thing he has is an intake. He ran a best of 13.8 at Raceway Park. We raced from a dig and I beat him but not by much. Mayb a car the most. People say it was closer. If we raced any longer he would of beatin me. That car really boogies up top! All I got is 91 mk3 turbo 5spd with a k&n filter, hks dp, hks dual tip exhaust, and I was runnin at like 8 pounds of boost. The stage 2 package for him puts him at 15 pounds of boost. Stock is 12 psi. So these cobalts are actually impressing.

·
EZ2CYI1
875 Posts
A guy here in KC went something like 13.7 @ 105 in his otherwise stock Stage 2 SS/SC (only mod was the stage 2 package).

A friend I work with has a stage 2 with a handful of other mods but he's so wary of snapping an axle that I don't think he's taken it to the track yet.

·
Registered
102 Posts
30 extra horses to a FWD vehicle that weighs 2806lbs is pretty much, considering. For four bangers, the Cobalt and SRT-4 aren't that bad. I don't understand how some people say "it's still a neon" or whatever to the cobalt. Even someone knowing nothing about cars could tell you they are two different cars.
but they are so similar, why not call them a neon or cavalier?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts