Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
im not sure but i know theres a thread some where about it. Check it out. *search it* i dun wanna search it tho heh

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ma71supraturbo said:
non-spoilered mk3's have a CD of .34
spoilered mk3's have a CD of .33
MKIV tt's have a CD of .32

has anyone thrown on a front bumper lip and gotten the nbrs from that? I would think the lower profile of the hood to roofline would make for better aerodynamics.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
SlimFastSupra said:
odd

how does a wingless mk3 have more drag?

was it maybe 87 vs 89?
i think this is because of the turbulance zone created by low pressure area behind the rear hatch, which is smoothed out by the spoiler...i would think the ma71 would have better CE since the 3 peice spoiler would channel the air around the body and out the rear with minimal turbulance...thats just what i think from eyeballing it

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
SlimFastSupra said:
odd

how does a wingless mk3 have more drag?

was it maybe 87 vs 89?
the mk4 is the same way... better drag coefficient on a wingless then a winged...

and for the record... a 2003 viper has a drag CE of .40 ... :lol: toyota owns ;)

·
Banned
3,588 Posts
and for the record...a honda insight has a CE of .28 i want that!!!:mad:

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,347 Posts
Too bad it looks like poo.

CD is only so important too, frontal space is important as well, and don't forget downforce :p.

In case anyone is wondering, a Ferrari 360/F430 has a coefficient of 0.33CD... it's also got 620lbs of downforce at 300km/h, heh.

I don't know where I'm going with this post, so I'll end it now.

·
25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,306 Posts
If you want to lower you CE, just add a flat bottem to your car.

The spoiler on the early MK3's is the one that works the best areo wise. (Looks are up to you.) Toyota did not claim any benefit from the new design, or the 89 front bumper changes.

I'm just guessing, but a completely flat bottem, and better air management under the car would cut our CE down into the 20's for sure.

BTW, running wider tires raises your CE quite a bit. (More air resistance to go around the wider tires. Rim choice also can make a difference, the smoother flat sawblade design was part of the low CE on the MK3. I'm sure by the 91 model, with the 5 spoke wheels, and the new spoiler, the CE was higher than the original ones. (But I don't think Toyota or any other car company would mention that detail to you.)

Shave your mirrors, door handles, tape off the glass trim etc, and with a flat bottem, your CE might be a very low 20ish number. (Are you shooting for high speed, or gas mileage?)

If you want mileage, go buy some 205/55 16's in a very low grip hard tread compound on stock sawblades. Remove your passenger mirror. Add a front spoiler extention and use the 88 turbo wing. Presto, more gas mileage. (Try waxing the car and keeping it clean too, lowers your drag... LOL)

Good luck.

·
Banned
3,588 Posts
lowering your car helps too ;)

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
SlimFastSupra said:
That is what I would expect, but according to the figures posted the wingless MK3 has a worse (higher) drag figure.
oh yeah...heh its 330am here...i need to go to bed...

dont mind me ;)

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
I got those figures from my website (www.geocities.com/ma71supraturbo) but I haven't been able to find the original source for any of the claims yet (ran out of bandwidth...again...) I will double check, but I'm fairly confident the winged model actually lowered the Coefficient of drag on the mk3 -- I know it also did for the fc3s (but that package included a different front lip). On the rx7 fd, the early model wing apparently just added drag

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
While CD is important, CDA (A = area) is the number you really need to get any meaningful numbers to compare cars with. CDA can be used to determine drag force. Why only CD numbers are usually published, I do not know.

·
Moderator, megalos ntabatzis!!
4,409 Posts
-=Supra=-He's_BACK said:
has anyone thrown on a front bumper lip and gotten the nbrs from that? I would think the lower profile of the hood to roofline would make for better aerodynamics.
who has the cash to drop on a windtunnel? Everything is a guess.

I would think lowered to the same height as a tt the mk3 would achieve the same cd numbers. And i also think toyota focussed more on looks than performance on the mkiv with the flat ass and thats why they opted for the gigantic wing. Im just speculating. In all truth well never know anything more than they throw at us.

·
got sup
1,553 Posts
SuprAng said:
who has the cash to drop on a windtunnel? Everything is a guess.

I would think lowered to the same height as a tt the mk3 would achieve the same cd numbers. And i also think toyota focussed more on looks than performance on the mkiv with the flat ass and thats why they opted for the gigantic wing. Im just speculating. In all truth well never know anything more than they throw at us.
The truth is if u have money put a lip an dlower it and go to a wind tunnel. but i truely doubt we have that kind of money sitting around.

craig

1 - 20 of 34 Posts