Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i would like to know i have supra with 2jz-gte engine i wana fix the new engine which comes with vtti and a single turbo do u think its better for tunning

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
Horrible idea. The VVT engines have no where near the mod potential that the 93-98s have. Their variable cams put a serious restriction on the aftermarket. Seeing as how you're in Kuwait, you want as much aftermarket you can get. The aftermarket in Japan (as I understand it) is virtually non existant for these engines. There are all but no cam replacements for this car, and from what I've heard it is very difficult to get the VVT engines over about 600whp, and we all know that OUR 2jz isnt even breaking a sweat there. Stick with what you have, its the better motor.

·
Supraholic/Boostaholic
1,513 Posts
LYTLdiablo said:
Horrible idea. The VVT engines have no where near the mod potential that the 93-98s have. Their variable cams put a serious restriction on the aftermarket. Seeing as how you're in Kuwait, you want as much aftermarket you can get. The aftermarket in Japan (as I understand it) is virtually non existant for these engines. There are all but no cam replacements for this car, and from what I've heard it is very difficult to get the VVT engines over about 600whp, and we all know that OUR 2jz isnt even breaking a sweat there. Stick with what you have, its the better motor.
agreed 100% with! :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
I understand the reasoning behind the cam thing. It might be the problem, however I have seen HKS kit in Japan with the upgraded cam and controller for this.

But why those engines would not go over 600hp? What's the difference?

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
The difference is in the head. Unless HKS actually does have an upgraded cam for the VVT heads, which last I heard, they didnt, then their cams simply cannot flow enough air to support that kind of horsepower.

·
Registered
108 Posts
So the problem is that stock camshafts are on the limit at 600whp, but block and head itself would allow more hp, if we could find the right camshafts for this engine?

I have the link somewhere in my work computer. I will try to look it up tomorrow.

·
I want some purple drink!
241 Posts
LYTLdiablo said:

Damn straight :bigthumb:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts