Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to bother you guys with more 1JZ questions Im just trying to make sure of all the little details.

I have heard that the 1JZ GTE engine was in MKII's in Japan...

...Is this MKII 1JZ GTE the same as a MKIII 1JZ-GTE?

Any little info. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,377 Posts
there was no 1JZ engine in the Celica XX in Japan.

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
There was a Mark II in japan that had a 1jz.. but it wasn't a celicasupra.. hope the helps

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,377 Posts
He's talking about this car

I was under the assumption most people knew what a Mark II/Chaser is.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats right!!

I forgot bout those other toyotas with the 1JZ's.

A 1990 Mark II 1JZ swap into a MKIII...anyone know if this can be done easily or will it be pretty complex coming from a Mark II?

Thanks guys.

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,377 Posts
AFAIK, it's a VVTi motor. So it won't be exactly plug and play into your supra. Any swap going from one car to a completely different car will be a bit of work.

a 1J is a 1J. anything can be done with time and money but it's everything else that makes the swap easy or hard. intercooler, fan, ignitor, ecu, harness, resevoirs, map sensor, oil pan, etc.

If you don't wanna complicate things get a clip or motor set from the car you have. have a supra, get a supra clip. have an SC, get an SC clip.

·
Registered
923 Posts
jza70, jzx81"mark 2, cresta, chaser", jzx90, jzz30"soarer:, all had regular 1jz, some of the late jzx90 may of had the vvti engine, jzx100, jzx110. jzz31 may of had vvti, although I dont know much about the later soarers.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lets say I can get this Mark II 1JZ GTE engine with whats basic on a engine swap for under $1K as apposed to $4K for a MKIII clip.

Ill be pulling in all my favours from my one year stay in Japan.

Think its worth it?

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,377 Posts
A JZA70 clip shouldn't be 4k unless someone is butt raping you.

If you're gonna go 1J, just get a Supra clip or at least a supra moterset. prices range in between 2k-3k depending where you go for full clips

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jarco -where you got yours Im guessing OneJoeZee- wants $3K for their front end clips, being Canadian, thats another few hundred or so and then taxes on that.

Regardless though, I can get the 1JZ for under $1K which is still a good $2K less then a front MKIII clip.

I just wonder if all the necessary playing with getting the engine in the car and buying the parts that wont come with the engine will be worth the cheap motor.

On the other note I will have a mechanic helping me, Im nowhere near the profficiency with engines Id like to be, like lots of you. Im learning but the confidence still isnt there.

So I guess it comes down to -ya it'll be more of a hassle but it is still do-able, especially for the price.

You guys mentioned VVTI to me before...is it an advantage to have?

Any comments would be great.

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,377 Posts
I got my clip from Jose. www.driftmotion.com

you're getting a 1JZ for 1k. but what else are you getting for that?

when I blew up my first 1J, my 2nd 1J was 900 bucks. but it was just that. a 1j. it wouldnt have made a running swap in any car. It's not even a Supra motor. If I were to gather the rest of the parts neccesary to make it a swap into a Supra i'd spend at least the amount I paid for my clip in the first place.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thats just it, I need to squeeze everything I can out of my acquaintance.

What -other than the whole clip- should I be specifying I need from him for the swap?

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,377 Posts
most of that stuff i listed in post #8. and then some. theres a 1j swap FAQ at the top of the page that could probably answer all of your questions

1 - 16 of 16 Posts