Supra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got done rebuilding a 7M- GTE engine, but having some idle/ driveability problems. The car is a 87, the engine is out of an 88. The airflow meter was not included with the turbo engine. We got the AFM from a boneyard, but I have no idea what year it's from. When we went to bolt it up to the factory intake box, the "flange" was different. The resistance of the connections wasn't within 88 specs. So are the AFM's different between the 87-88 and the 89 or 90+? Tried a search, thanks in advance. Justin

·
Your Neighborhood Pikey
3,341 Posts
Are you sure that you got a MKIII AFM? All AFM's on the MKIII turbo are the same for all year models. If it doesn't bolt up to the factory air box and the readings are wrong from the actual sensor, then I'd guess that you have the wrong AFM, or at least an AFM from another toyota.

Take a pic of the AFM so we can verify it, and can you tell me the part number on the black box?

- Hams.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's a pic. The white part is our temporary filter. Part numbers; printed on side: 1930-287, stamped on black case: 22204 42011 FMZ3AYY2 Fuji. Thanks!

·
Your Neighborhood Pikey
3,341 Posts
You know, looking at your picture.... You're missing a bracket that's the back casing to the air filter box. That part bolts to the AFM directly... I dont know if I still have mine or not. I would have to dig around in the attic to see if I have it to show you. you might consider buying the K&N adapter and mounting a filter to that. I will check on that part # and get back to you on that as well.

- Hams.

·
Acting my age
3,968 Posts
I have found the AFM's to be different from 88-89.. It seems most of the 86-88 that have a white seal will work on 89-92's but the black seal ones for some reason cause trouble on 87-88 models. This is especially true when you try to use a black seal AFM with a lexus housing on an 87-88.. Dont ask me why.. it just seems to work that way. Find yourself a white seal box and I bet your problem goes away.

·
Flying Dutchman Pilot!
2,173 Posts
yes, thats because 87-88 and 89-92 are different AFMs. Sorry, you gotta find one with the white outline, yours is an 89-92. I think one has the HAC mounted in the AFM and one doesn't, but don't qoute me on that, I do know its something to that effect though. If you go straight to the lexus afm you need 87-88 black box to go on it, but if you have an 89-92 car you can use the lexus black box because it is of the same style as the 89-92 stock afm.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've used the white seal, and black seal AFM's on my 88 turbo without problems.

None of them ever pass the 88 TSRM resistance check.

You're missing half the air filter housing in the picture as HamsMKIII pointed out, but apart from that looks fine.

·
2JZ Mk2
1,183 Posts
Toyota lists the same part # AFM for all years. I've briefly ran a 88 AFM on a 90T just fine. HAC is a seperate sensor in the glove compartment area or in the ECU 89+.

·
Flying Dutchman Pilot!
2,173 Posts
yeah, you are right about the HAC, but I still think theres a difference, I just dont remember what. Maybe it was the air intake temp sensor. I know VPCs are wired in differently because of the air intake temp sensor. I've got no hard facts for you though so take it as you will.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Yea, the HAC sensor is near the ECU by the glovebox on the 88. I think I'm just going to have to find the 88 AFM. If it has the same problem then I'll know if it's causing the trouble. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. After a quick drive today I got an Air Intake Temp. sensor code. Is this inside the AFM on the 88? I assume it is. After reading these posts I am definitely thinking that this AFM just won't work because of the codes that the ECU is tripping, especially now that the HAC sensor is involved. Thanks, Justin
And about the air filter housing...yea, I need one of those. Got one?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes the temperature sensor is inside the AFM. Since you got the code, I'd suspect your wire connection. It looks fairly nasty from the picture. Try cleaning it up and checking for any broken wires.

Can you get your hands on an oscilloscope or a voltmeter with a frequency counter? That would tell you if the AFM is good in no time.

·
greasemonkey
3,144 Posts
did your car start as an n/a? if so thats why the mounting flange didnt mate to the air box. the n/a afm has a smaller flange.
william

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The afm flange on the N/A engine is different. or so I assume, because the GTE flange won't match up to the N/A air box. I still need one of those if anybody has one...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I finally got an AFM to borrow today. It was from an 88 with the white seal. I bolted it on and the car ran great. I think I'll keep believing that the MKIII AFM's are different on the earlier years. Finally got the turbo to kick in! I can't believe how much the AFM controls with the ECU. Hell, I can unplug the AFM on my Nissan and it runs the same (hmm..maybe that's why it runs like sh*t). I'm just pretty damn excited. Justin

·
Stormcock approves
1,859 Posts
bdekoning said:
or.. its an AFM out of a MKIV NA or lexus... hence the diff flange for the air box
Wow that would be nice if he was going for what I am...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts