Supra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What's up everyone. I got a MKIII '87 7MGTE like two months ago and since its summer (and school is done) I wanted to get work done on the car. What are some recommended upgrades that are easy to do and/or are affordable? I was going to do a fuel pump/injector upgrade but I honestly don't know where to start. If someone can give me pointers please!!

My uncle had a lot of upgrades and fixed parts of the car to keep it running like new. Here's what the car ha:

-Targa Top
-push start
-straight dash (no crack)
-power windows and door locks
-Sparco Driver seat
-KSport Coilovers
-S/T Sway bar front & back
-perrin turbo cover
-17” Rims
-HKS cat back exhaust
- full head machine service
-New metal head gasket (Cometic MLS) with ARP bolts at 80lbs/torque,
-new timing belt
-new tensioner
-new water pump
-new thermostat
-new upper/lower hose
-new TPS sensor
-new full synthetic oil and filter
-new helicoil kit
⁃new spark plugs
⁃new fuel injectors
⁃new throttle body gasket
⁃new Idle air control

I want to do some cosmetic work but i think the engine will need more work than anything. I'm starting to experience starting issues. The wires in the red circle are what I need so if anyone is parting out there 7M pls lmk!

Attachments

·
Registered
1987 MK3 Supra Non-Turbo (Getting 2JZ-GE Swapped)
27 Posts
That's what's on the car already? Damn, Lucky. :D
I would say at that point check all of your gaskets, Especially for the Targa top and taillights, they tend to spread rust really quickly once they fail. Get your motor in check and just enjoy it, it seems pretty kitted out. An OEM Set of taillight gaskets is ~65$. Either that, or if it hasn't been done already, relocating the battery. Battery Boxes are about 20$, 2/0 Gauge wire is about 10$ a foot from Driftmotion, you could probably go cheaper if you bought it from home depot or somewhere like that, but I wouldn't IMO, Also maybe consider subframe bushings. But apart from that, I would say just go out and have fun!

·
Rock'n Death with Spikes!
168 Posts
Is that going to your Cam position sensor? That may be your problem. Looks like it's been rewired. The stock connector gets fried on that side of the engine and sometimes you get start issues(among other things)

·
Registered
54 Posts
If your cam position sensor looks like that chances are it's picking up a lot of noise from the ignition among other sources in the bits it's running uninsulated. At low RPM is when the signal to noise ratio is lowest on VR-type sensors, so I strongly suggest you fix that wiring, as it very well could be part of your hard starting issues (and you're also giving yourself less chances to have a headache further down the road). You want the sensor as close to the shielding on the wire bundle as possible.

I did mine with some Deutsch DT 4-pin connectors and while it isn't stock and the way it looks might irk some, it's also a lot better than stock. Or than stock 30 year old parts, rather.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is that going to your Cam position sensor? That may be your problem. Looks like it's been rewired. The stock connector gets fried on that side of the engine and sometimes you get start issues(among other things)
I have a new TPS that's been sitting in my car that needs to be swapped. I'm not sure but I'll ask my uncle lol. Thank you

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If your cam position sensor looks like that chances are it's picking up a lot of noise from the ignition among other sources in the bits it's running uninsulated. At low RPM is when the signal to noise ratio is lowest on VR-type sensors, so I strongly suggest you fix that wiring, as it very well could be part of your hard starting issues (and you're also giving yourself less chances to have a headache further down the road). You want the sensor as close to the shielding on the wire bundle as possible.

I did mine with some Deutsch DT 4-pin connectors and while it isn't stock and the way it looks might irk some, it's also a lot better than stock. Or than stock 30 year old parts, rather.
Is that for all the wiring? Because honestly, I'm not sure what to properly do lol. it's my first car that i'm going to be doing work on and I don't wanan mess up lol.

Would I just get the Deutsh DT 4-Pin and get it installed??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's what's on the car already? Damn, Lucky. :D
I would say at that point check all of your gaskets, Especially for the Targa top and taillights, they tend to spread rust really quickly once they fail. Get your motor in check and just enjoy it, it seems pretty kitted out. An OEM Set of taillight gaskets is ~65$. Either that, or if it hasn't been done already, relocating the battery. Battery Boxes are about 20$, 2/0 Gauge wire is about 10$ a foot from Driftmotion, you could probably go cheaper if you bought it from home depot or somewhere like that, but I wouldn't IMO, Also maybe consider subframe bushings. But apart from that, I would say just go out and have fun!
I'll see if my uncle got the work done on those, if not I'll give them a look and see for the replacements. What's the point of relocating the battery? just for more space in the engine bay??

·
Registered
1987 MK3 Supra Non-Turbo (Getting 2JZ-GE Swapped)
27 Posts
I'll see if my uncle got the work done on those, if not I'll give them a look and see for the replacements. What's the point of relocating the battery? just for more space in the engine bay??
The battery relocation helps move some of the weight over the rear axle for a little more grip, plus it makes it a little bit easier to replace and wire up IMO. For me, since my car didn't come with any sort of battery hold-downs it's also a safety upgrade. If I crash, there wont be a 30 LBS weight rattling around inside the engine bay unsecured. Just my 2 cents though.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Is that for all the wiring? Because honestly, I'm not sure what to properly do lol. it's my first car that i'm going to be doing work on and I don't wanan mess up lol.

Would I just get the Deutsh DT 4-Pin and get it installed??
Just for the excess wire you marked in red in the picture. If you remove the corrugated tube (non factory) you'll see at one point the factory grey bundle of wires ends and the rest is just added onto it. That excess wire needs to be removed, and if the connector is in bad shape it needs replacing. It's a very minor wiring job, but if you're not confident doing it and can live with the starting issues for now, don't do it. It can wait.

·
Registered
425 Posts
What's up everyone. I got a MKIII '87 7MGTE like two months ago and since its summer (and school is done) I wanted to get work done on the car. What are some recommended upgrades that are easy to do and/or are affordable? I was going to do a fuel pump/injector upgrade but I honestly don't know where to start. If someone can give me pointers please!!

My uncle had a lot of upgrades and fixed parts of the car to keep it running like new. Here's what the car ha:

-Targa Top
-push start
-straight dash (no crack)
-power windows and door locks
-Sparco Driver seat
-KSport Coilovers
-S/T Sway bar front & back
-perrin turbo cover
-17” Rims
-HKS cat back exhaust
- full head machine service
-New metal head gasket (Cometic MLS) with ARP bolts at 80lbs/torque,
-new timing belt
-new tensioner
-new water pump
-new thermostat
-new upper/lower hose
-new TPS sensor
-new full synthetic oil and filter
-new helicoil kit
⁃new spark plugs
⁃new fuel injectors
⁃new throttle body gasket
⁃new Idle air control

I want to do some cosmetic work but i think the engine will need more work than anything. I'm starting to experience starting issues. The wires in the red circle are what I need so if anyone is parting out there 7M pls lmk!
I have to ask, the "Helicoil kit" Where were these Helicoils installed? That's not an upgrade per se, and can be a perfectly acceptable repair. Knowing location is a good thing for you though. Just in case.

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,669 Posts
If it's stock turbo then leave the injectors and fuel pump. Why do you want to change those?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have to ask, the "Helicoil kit" Where were these Helicoils installed? That's not an upgrade per se, and can be a perfectly acceptable repair. Knowing location is a good thing for you though. Just in case.
tbh im not too sure where that repair was done but it was done somewhere. ill ask my uncle lmao

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,669 Posts
Just get it sorted out first. Walk before you jog. After several months, a year, etc. of it driving fine, then consider boost up. If you want upgrades, upgrade the drive-ability and reliability of this 33 year old car. After that, boost up with an intake, turbo back 3" exhaust. It sounds like you want to get more power just by doing fuel mods. It doesn't work like that.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
It sounds like you want to get more power just by doing fuel mods. It doesn't work like that.
But... that's how it works in the diesel world... :p

If only someone on here, some extraordinarily helpful soul had written up a "Supra Upgrade Path 2021" and stickied the thread in the Mk3 section... that'd be awesome. :)

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
In case my last post came across as me being a bit of an ass, this is what I was talking about:

Jeff's away from keyboard at the moment, but the man is THE man when it comes to how to get a great value out of these cars. Plus, like me, he knows a lot of things that DON'T work. :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts