Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1989 Toyota Supra Turbo (7M-GTE) and I recently blew my head gasket, and Now my head is damaged. The camshafts are scratched where they touch the camshaft clamps and the inside of the clamps are scratched as well.

I am not very familiar with the theories and concepts of camshafts, but my mechanic said that the entire head needs to be replaced because the parts that are scratched need to be almost as smooth as glass to operate properly.

I have read that the camshafts from an NA Supra are actually an upgrade from the turbo cams. Is this true? If so, then why? I contacted a Certified Toyota mechanic and he says that the NA cams are not compatible and will mess up the timing of the turbo engine. Others claim that the NA cams are larger and will give me an increase in horsepower, but the turbo cams are cost about $200 more each than the NA cams. I can't imagine why smaller cams would cost so much more.

If the NA cams are indeed an upgrade to the turbo cams, what modifications (if any) will be needed in order for them to function properly?

Thank you very much for your time and your patience. I greatly appreciate any and all help that I can receive from the Supra masters at this board.

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
heh. your tech doesn't know much- the cams are the the exact same design and they drop right in.

the whole big deal w/the NA cams is they move the power band lower in the RPM range, but they hurt top end power. it really depends on what you want....

BTW- i'd pick all those parts up used. if you're buying new you might as well buy a whole new car.....

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info! I appreciate your help. You said that the NA cams hurt top end power? How so?

They drop right in without any further modifications (ignition, timing, need for adjustable cam gears, etc.) needed, right?

While on the subject, are the entire heads of the NA and the turbo supra identical? Or do you know if there are any important differences aside from the cams?

Thanks again for all your help. I'm still new to the 7MGTE, but I am very happy about owning a supra and I am always ready and willing to learn more about it. ^_^

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Didn't mean to sound stupid on the previous post. What I meant to say about hurting top end power was that how much lower will the powerband be dropped and at what RPM will it be?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i believe the heads are the same, or atleast compatible. I put a gte head on my N/A with no probs.

·
Registered
523 Posts
wait a minute, i thought the longer duration made the power band a few RPM's longer? damn, its been too long since i've thought about cams :( please expand on that.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I recently got a hold of a guy who is willing to sell me his 60K mile head with cams for about $250. Do you guys think this is a good investment to replace my busted turbo head?

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
really? only $100? Do you know where I may get an immaculate head at such a price, and who i have to talk to in order to do so?

More importantly, will this whole NA head into a turbo engine swap thing really work? If it does, could you please elaborate?

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Search the parts section and eBay. Heads routinely go for 40-60 dollars, complete. The heads are the exact same between the N/A and the turbo, just the camshafts are different.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replay. I'm going to search through ebay shortly. What I am more concerned with is is the NA cams are indeed compatible with the turbo engine. if you could give me more details, i would greatly appreciate it. ^_^

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The only difference between turbo and na heads is just the cams. Thats it. The turbo cam has a 236/236 degree cam. The na has a 256/256 degree cam. The lift it the same. The only thing you need to do when swappingthe two is re shim the valves. As for performane with adjustable cam gears you might, and I mean might get a few more ponies (less than 10 prob.). Not really worth it. If you want to really make a difference port and polish the head. Or if you have cash go all out with the head.

·
***ified?
1,087 Posts
If you are asking questions about upgrading your car, I would recommend the n/a cams.

Good, quick bolt-on gain - especially with the stock turbo.

·
Registered
144 Posts
most mechanics would say that talking cams from a na car and adding them into a turbo car would be bad unless someone knew alot about your car mkIII or not..

yea 250$ is a tad steep for a head 420$ for a fully built head with cams and everything bolt on style from CHI(cylinder head International) (id bet theyd even swap out to NA cams for ya )

you should be able to find cams for under 100$ used...

Bill

1 - 17 of 17 Posts