Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Working OT
9,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are the MKIII's are they pretty reliable. I'm assuming most are I'm basically looking for a DD but want something that is still fun to drive. I've looked at a few mr2's but they want crazy money for those even the n/a are pretty pricey. So what do you guys think good for a DD or no?

· Registered
1989 7mgte swapped mk3
1,500 Posts
These are 20 year old cars...I have a 1989 n/a for a DD and it treats me well. I did burn a valve and had to take the head off and fix that. It currently has 205k miles and runs fine. I do have little repairs here and there and some things just don't work like they used to. My n/a is reliable, but I am not so sure a turbo would be a good option for a DD. Maybe some turbo guys will chime in.

· Registered
1,529 Posts
Been daily driving mine for 5 years / 60k now. I even delivered pizza in it for a little while.

I'd just recommend giving it a good once over after the initial purchase replacing hoses/gaskets/bushings as needed.

· Registered
1989 7mgte swapped mk3
1,500 Posts
Been daily driving mine for 5 years / 60k now. I even delivered pizza in it for a little while.

I'd just recommend giving it a good once over after the initial purchase replacing hoses/gaskets/bushings as needed.
Yea I should have mentioned that. When I did the head job I replaced every vacuum and coolant line along with all of the gaskets. Once you do this it'll be pretty reliable.

· Registered
737 Posts
This thread popped up about a month ago I think, the problem with a turbo MKIII is that it takes a lot of time, money and maintenance. Be prepared to have more things go wrong if it's your DD and you romp it a lot, or you are just an aggressive driver.....It really isn't an ideal car for a DD. If you do some extensive work, like all hoses and HG, new pumps...You should be good to go but it's a lot of work. Word of advice if it is your DD, you might want a back up car just incase when things go wrong.

· Banned
5,915 Posts
You have to be a damn good mechanic to DD a MK3 Supra.

I've been driving mine for about 1.5 years now and I've done alot to keep up with it.

· Working OT
9,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I've been driving mine for about 1.5 years now and I've done alot to keep up with it.
that's what I'm trying to stay away from I just want something I just need to change the oil in. Doesn't have to last forever but if I could buy something for 2,500 and get 2 years out of it with no major repairs that would be great.

· Registered
6,153 Posts
I am driving mine daily w/singled 2JZ. Absolutely love it!

You do have to have a decent set of tools and drop the procrastination. Just get the parts and get to work, in order to make sure it's drive-able the next day. If U don't have credit/savings handy, this could be a problem. Overnighting parts from Japan and all ;-)

Having a beater or backup plans for getting to your job is a must. Once you've run through everything "as it breaks" you're good-to-go for another 100K miles. Plan out things like suspension, engine/drivetrain, interior, and whatever, so that you can do more than what just needs to be done, at the time. This is where you start to do things "because you are there." That's what I suggest anyways.

· Registered
1,529 Posts
Turbo cars take maintenance whether it's a MKIV, MKIII, Evo...

There is nothing wrong with the MKIII as a daily driver as long as you stay on top of it.

If you hear a noise, feel a vibration, notice a lack of power... check it out immediately.
Check the oil every time you stop for gas.
If you see a spot on the driveway, find the source of the leak.

Overall I've spent an average of 1-2 days a month working on the Supra in the 5 years I've had it. I'm at the point where most major components have been replaced (HG, Compressor, PS Rack, water pump...) and most of my time working on it now will be straight up maintenance or upgrading it.

· Supras Invade Las Vegas
2,432 Posts
The MkIII is just fine as a daily driver. I ran mine for more than 10 years driving it EVERY day and had just 2 problems. First... the clutch died two days after I got it. Second... the CPS died and had to be replaced.

You do not have to be a master mechanic to keep up with the maintenance on a MkIII Supra. You do have to do the basic maintenance though. If you neglect any car it will fail - even the almighty MkIV.

Too many people on here cheap out and buy the most ragged out POS they can find just so they can save a few $$, then they don't do the proper maintenance to make sure the car is running @ 100%, and then they blame the car when it blows up.

· VVT-i FTW
704 Posts
I previously owned an '89 MKIII N/A when I was 16 and loved it. I learned a lot about mechanics on that car, but once I had the engine rebuilt, I never had a problem with it. As long as you use quality parts/fluids (i.e. synthetic oil ect...), its as reliable as you can get. I would recommend doing a JZ swap if your looking for reliable HP however, as the turbo 7M isn't what I would call "reliable" unless you dump some money into it. Just my two cents.

· Registered
1989 7mgte swapped mk3
1,500 Posts

I agree. A lot of things I do with mine are proactive rather than reactive. I have been DD'ing mine for about 4 years now. I live about 2 hours from school and it seems to do pretty well. I go home fairly often. I bought it with about 170 k and I have 205k now. No major problems besides burning a valve.

· Supra Dead Head
620 Posts
my 86 n/a was a great DD, granite i had to rebuild the block and replace alot of maintence items. But over all it was wonderful,crapy gas milage but thats the n/a rear end for you. I drove 45 mins to work and back every day. The seats are real comfortable too. Its fun to drove everyday most of the time i could'nt wait to jump in it and just drive.

· (◕_◕)
8,453 Posts
How are the MKIII's are they pretty reliable. I'm assuming most are I'm basically looking for a DD but want something that is still fun to drive. I've looked at a few mr2's but they want crazy money for those even the n/a are pretty pricey. So what do you guys think good for a DD or no?
Get a N/A Mk3 if you want a daily driver, they are the best for dd, simple, a bit cheaper. I dd my mk3 for three years, no major problems, except a spun bearing. In other words take care of it, it will take care of you.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.