Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am highly considering going with an MKIII supra. I love the supra. I am, however, just starting college and am looking into this situation realistically. I really would absolutely love an MKIV, but in all financial reality I can't afford one. I have found some good MKIII turbo supra's for under 10k. I am hoping to eventually upgrade the turbo (twin or single from factory?). I have been looking at the greddy kit. I was wondering if a few of you all could give me some advice.

First off, what whp am I looking at for the Greddy TD06 package? Is there a way I could use a piggy back for this? I don't want to spend an arm and a leg just yet on a standalone. I won't mind buying fuel injectors, fuel pump, BOV, full exhaust, or boost controller. If I'm leaving anything out, informing me of those items would be a tremendous help as well..

I would love to search this stuff, but as you can see I made a thread under the New Members. I understand the search feature is disabled for now. I hate to bother you all with this newbie information that search would save me from :(

Patrick

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well. Down the line, when I finish college and start making more money, I will simply do a 2jz swap.

Unless you recommend that I save for the swap right away and do BPU on the stock turbo(s) to keep me temporarily happy. The 2jz engine itself is not so hard to find nor expensive. It's all the extra "stuff" involved with the swap that I'm worried about.

·
Dagger OCHO
790 Posts
mk3's are beautiful cars. a PITA, but for me, all the pain and headache, it's well worth it when it runs. but if what you really want is an mkiv, then save up and get one. you can easily get a 5spd or auto 93 or 94, for around 16K. then buy a 2jz-gte and swap that in, then later get the 6spd and everything else you need for that.

as much money as i put into my mk3 already, i coud've owned a mkiv. but i will never sell my mk3 for an mkiv. i love it way too much.
right now i'm putting in a 2jz. so far i've spent about 5K

but here's a link that will help you out.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152334

and being in college... i don't think you're gonna have enough money to maintain this car. everyday something new will break, a new leak will develop, you engine will make another funny sound. before you start upgrading the engine, inspect every part of it. replace heater hoses. make sure vacuum lines are connected right. make sure all the sensors are within tolerance.

the 7M can be very reliable if maintained properly. and since we all know how old it is, it's probably been treated like crap and not taken care of by the many owners it's had in it's life.

check out supramania, they are dedicated to the mk3 and have a lot of info there. and they have a search function.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well..it won't be my daily. I have faith in an older supra. But you are right in terms of inspecting and changing out the minor things. Perhaps there is a thread somewhere telling me what all is a good idea to change out when buying a late 80's supra?

·
Registered
81 Posts
in your case...you want a solid running car/project.

my best advice if you absolutely had to get one is to relax and really take your time looking at one. consider the owner. does he look like a guy that would baby the car and keep up on the maintenance or is he some one that will just bag it until; it dies.

you will want to ask about the HG. the 7m motor was bad for blowing head gaskets due to under torqued head bolts. i would consider getting one that isn't modified. and if so so i would stick to very very basic bolt ons such as exhaust and intake. i wouldn't advise getting one that has seen a boost controller unless you are prepared to deal with the possible consequences.

now as for modifying...you seem to be just throwing parts at it..once again wrong approach with the mkIII. you need a power goal. if you are looking for 400 hp will be a completely different list of parts as suppose to 700.

the 7m will comfortable hold 500hp on the stock bottom end (if it is in really good shape aka rebuilt) anything over that IMO starts getting pricey. in that case yes..i would go with a jz motor.

if you intend to do a swap there is no point and blowing alot of money into the 7m. i would work around the car that being suspension frame stiffing tire wheels. i say this because everything that you buy for the 7m will become useless when you swap to a jz aside from piggy backs and boost controllers.

oin the 7m..i would do a hg with arp hardware asap. if you can get the surfaces machined and use a metal hg. from there i would focus on suspension. if you have plans for the body (ie paint body lit etc) i would get doing that as well then bolt on upgrades such as a cheap down pipe/mid pipe and a good exhaust (as you will be able to use this cat back for the swap) and i would raise the boost and do the 550cc injector and lex combo with some form of cheap tuning. i would then stop there and start collecting what you will need for your swap such as misc pieces (like jz belhousing) and the motor itself of course. then the needed upgrades for the motor

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well my goal is for 380whp on pump gas. Above 400whp on race gas.

I've been looking at the greddy TD06 kit from MVP which apparently utilizes the stock manifold and downpipe (which I'd end up changing out anyway, at least as far as the downpipe goes). Is it a popular kit among MKIII owners? If not, what is a popular turbo kit / route that people use for 400whp goals?

·
SuperWhiteNinetyTwoMeat
1,001 Posts
Assuming the motor is up to par just get the stock turbo rebuilt and upgraded to at least a 57trim, new intercooler piping and larger intercooler, Apexi AFC, Lexus 4.0 AFM, 550cc injectors, full exhaust, and a electronic boost controller and 380 wheel horsepower is possible.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will a stock turbo with turboback exhaust, tune, and boost control keep up with, lets say, an STi from a roll? Evo?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ignore the last post. I saw another thread, and I have new question. I checked out Hybrid motorsports and I see they have a JT56 turbo. What will I need for this turbo? It's supposed to make about 400whp which is plenty for me.

With that turbo I'm assuming I'll need aftermarket
-oil and water lines (unless that comes with the turbo)
-clutch
-bigger fuel injectors
-bigger fuel pump
-MAFT pro

Anything else? Assuming my engine is in working order and the compression test comes out nice and clean

1 - 11 of 11 Posts