Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a 94 Supra Turbo that just sits in my garage most of the time has tens of thousands of dollars in it etc. On the more everyday side of life I own a 1986 300zx turbo and I am thinking if selling it and getting a MKIII Supra Turbo. From an unbiased point of view...which is the better car all in all and which one will make more power off of bolt ons (exhaust, intercooler, boost controller, intake filter, safc, bigger injectors, fuel pump, etc). I know very little about the third generation supras so I'll let you MKIII experts tell me.

Thanks,
Michael

·
Registered
379 Posts
The MKIII can get pretty fast from just those mods. You could potentially see 500+ hp. However, jsut like the 300zx it's an old car and it will need lots of care to get it running good. Reliability will be an issue if you move too quickly. I enjoy my MKIII, I bet everyone else here does too. I also like the 300zx but yeah. If it's going to be your daily driver I think you should go to a local supra meet and get someone to let you test drive it. If you like it, go for it, the MKIII is awesome

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I think I need to at least ride in one that is modded. I like them a lot too I just need something to help me with my decision.

·
!black
4,622 Posts
MK3 > 300ZX

IMHO of course. Having worked on both, I just prefer toyota's packaging and engineering. If you've ever had to take appart many domestics, You reall appreciate all the connector styles toyota uses :) Nissan isn't bad, but for the coin a mk3 is a good condender. It's a big GT car... has some good strait line grunt ant decent handling. To me, the mk3 feels a tad more stable than the 300.

Most MK3's get bad raps due to previous owner neglect and age. Just find a good one, do some basic maint to ensure a solid platform and start modding.

·
Street Sleeper
1,114 Posts
A mk3 is a good daily driver if you look after it and don't beat on it all day long. Look for a good one rather than getting a cheap one and thinking its not going to take much to fix it up, because there are some real lemons out there that will suck you dry. Have a look through the technical secton of this forum at the FAQ's about what to look for when buying then try to get someone who knows about the cars to come with you when you buy.

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,084 Posts
I would never buy an 18 year old turbo for a daily driver...........much less modify one.

These cars are at the point now where they need to be totally gone through if you want to use them as reliable transportation.

·
On the edge of adhesion..
942 Posts
Rajunz said:
I would never buy an 18 year old turbo for a daily driver...........much less modify one.

These cars are at the point now where they need to be totally gone through if you want to use them as reliable transportation.
Agreed...I love my MKIII but it has taken a complete overhaul of basic parts and maintenance to get to be the daily driver that I enjoy every morning and every evening. 30,000+ miles and lovin it, however attention must be paid to the 18 year old parts that need to be replaced. Hope this helps and good luck!

Khris

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
I also agree with rajunz. As far as boltons go the mk3 is superior, no argument there by anyone. To make my mk3 a daily i replaced EVERYTHING, but its totally worth it its a great drivers car, and a sweet daily driver.

~scott

·
Supra Fan
4,114 Posts
boostedspra said:
I currently own a 94 Supra Turbo that just sits in my garage most of the time has tens of thousands of dollars in it etc. On the more everyday side of life I own a 1986 300zx turbo and I am thinking if selling it and getting a MKIII Supra Turbo. From an unbiased point of view...which is the better car all in all and which one will make more power off of bolt ons (exhaust, intercooler, boost controller, intake filter, safc, bigger injectors, fuel pump, etc). I know very little about the third generation supras so I'll let you MKIII experts tell me.
Thanks,
Michael
:bsflag:

You have a mk4 with "tens of thousands of dollars" invested into it, but your question about modding the mk3 vs. 300zx is asked in a third grade manner?LOL I dont think so. I call b.s.

·
Sexy Bitch
392 Posts
osofast7m said:
Agreed...I love my MKIII but it has taken a complete overhaul of basic parts and maintenance to get to be the daily driver that I enjoy every morning and every evening. 30,000+ miles and lovin it, however attention must be paid to the 18 year old parts that need to be replaced. Hope this helps and good luck!

Khris
I've dumped about $4400 into my MKIII after I bought it to make it a reliable Daily. And boy is she reliable!!!! :)

Unfortunatly she's a gas hog lol.

·
WhorE
504 Posts
not only is this post bullshit, but why come into a forum mainly called Supraforums, and ask if a supra is better than a what was it again?? Thats like going into a Honda forum and asking if a Honda Civic is better than a Mazda MX3. Just using those as examples. just my 2 shitty cents.

Wayne

·
Sawblades Rock!!!
194 Posts
This thread is funny...
Of course everyone here is gonna say the MKIII is the better car. Even if they've never owned or operated one.

And he has a 94, and wants an MKIII???!!
WTF. That 94 you supposedly have will be alot more reliable/faster/cheaper to maintain, then just about any old MKIII.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
anyone who calls bs can pm me and i'll send you a pic of any part of the 94 that you want. And third grade manner?? come on now some cars respond to bolt ons faster and as far as a biased opinion on the mkIII, I know this but I also expect people to point out the good and the bad of the mkIII just like some of the more respectable people did. And for those who wanna call my mkiv bs, pm me and we can get together and at a local 1/4 mile, that PO's me when people say my cars are BS!!!!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And 2 so I want a nice daily driver?? Whats wrong with that do you want to take a car that runs off 102 unleaded, 1000 cc injectors, and 26 lbs of boost out everyday of the week, not to mention 57,000 original miles. I just asked an opinion about the cars I didn't ask for the BS comments

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,376 Posts
I daily drive my Supra. :D

Hoping to get another car this year. not because the Supra can't do it anymore, but because I don't want to anymore.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I daily drive my 87 with 163k on it, and it has never given me large problems. The occasional old hose somewhere will give me an hour of downtime and similar stuff. I'm too going to be trying to get another car. Not because of my Supra being unreliable or not being too great on gas but because I just spent A LOT of money on a top quality paint job with brand new front end parts (car was bought wrecked, had a front end off of a not-so-good quality parts car.) It is because i'm a huge pansy and am scared to drive my car this winter for fear of other drivers on the streets/on the campus parking lots. Not to mention road salt, ;).

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yea I agree, nice to see that some other people like driving something other than their nicest car every day of the week.

·
Registered
311 Posts
boostedspra said:
yea I agree, nice to see that some other people like driving something other than their nicest car every day of the week.
My first car was a *poor* condition 89 4 door Civic. I tore the living crap out of that thing in every way possible. I miss having a beater you don't care about and sometimes purposely do bad things to. I have a heart for destruction unfortunatly.

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
Ur 18 with an mk4 turbo with tens of thousands of dollars in it? 57,000 miles? That's why people call bullshit.

Sell ur 300zx. Buy some common sense. Welcome to the internet.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts