Supra Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
90T
731 Posts
What is wrong with the mk3 tank? I trust the plastic ones far less. Already had the plastic hanger in my volvo spring a leak due to a crack developing and its far younger than the mk3.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
What is wrong with the mk3 tank? I trust the plastic ones far less. Already had the plastic hanger in my volvo spring a leak due to a crack developing and its far younger than the mk3.
Nothing especially wrong with the tank itself, it's more the fact that so many of them are left with lots of fuel in them when these cars do their best "Supra" impression and sit for years on end. The water that gets into the fuel causes a lot of rust, unfortunately.

Mine, even after some pretty serious cleaning attempts, still wasn't confidence inspiring. I wasn't gonna risk putting fuel from that nasty old thing into my fresh engine... but a brand new tank, from Toyota, in a shiny new box? I'd have bought that in a heartbeat. After all, I went to the trouble to cut my floor out to install an ATL fuel cell, forever essentially ruining the rear area of that car. Had buying a new tank from the dealer been an option? It's a no-brainer.

·
Super Moderator
10,753 Posts
Just as not all metals are the same, neither are all plastics. Whatever polymer/plastic is used in the JZA80 tank is fantastic and seems to last forever.

Volvos are half-Chinese half-Swedish trash these days, and like pretty much anything that's made in Europe or owned by a company from Europe they seem to use recycled water bottles and used condoms for everything polymer or plastic in the car - including components difficult-to-service areas of engine bays that contain or direct coolant or fuel.

So they get planned obsolescence, and a captive market for mandatory and overpriced components that are all made out of cheaply made lightweight and cheap-to-ship garbage in one nice neat, profit-engineered package.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts