Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Supraless member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got to ask you this to put a term on a discussion with one of my mates, as I've never tried it myself :bigthumb: I post that here cause I guess some NA guys would have tried out.

Between a MKIII turbo and a MKIV NA, both bone stock and 5 spd, who would win for example on a 0-60 or a 0-100? I say it would be even and he says the MKIV would be raped...

I know it seems like a high school backyard bet, but you all know about men's pride :D

·
Hardtopper
13,043 Posts
I have owned both and honestly they are close enough for me now to be able to give you an anwer, considering they are both bone stock.

·
<.>
343 Posts
The horsepower difference is only slightly better on the MKiii turbo compared to the MKIV na but the MKIV NA weighs about 300lbs less + or -. The data published for 0-60 and 1/4mile times are very similiar. A bone stock MKiii turbo will not rape a MKIV NA, it should be a driver's battle.

·
i recorded mark7m001.mp3
2,109 Posts
I've raced my cars against each other (my pops driving the mk3, then us switching cars) and the MKIV took it every time, maybe about 2-3 car lengths by 70mph. These short runs were all about 0-100. Both my MKIV and MKIII have nothing more than an exhaust, and both are in good tune and running well.

·
Supraless member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys...
It makes sense to me too.
Mark 2JZ, you've got both of them, I wonder what differences you've noticed between them in terms of handling, engine feel,...
I have a MKIV NA as well, but I've never had the opportunity of trying a 7M MKIII.

·
Madison Motorsports
389 Posts
Should be a close race, just watch out for mods on the turbo, cause just a few and he'll rock the mkiv.

·
i recorded mark7m001.mp3
2,109 Posts
heavyfoot said:
Thanks guys...
It makes sense to me too.
Mark 2JZ, you've got both of them, I wonder what differences you've noticed between them in terms of handling, engine feel,...
I have a MKIV NA as well, but I've never had the opportunity of trying a 7M MKIII.
Handling wise, MKIV is a step above since it doesnt feel so nose heavy. The steering has a meatier feel and the car itself feels (and is) much lighter than the turbo MK3.

Engine feel - the 2JZ in the MKIV, even in NA form, is much happier to rev above say, 4k, than the 7M would. Don't get me wrong the 7M will still rev to just under 7k if you make it. Below 4k, the turbo 7M feels to have more torque than the NA 2JZ.

The 2JZ just feels to be a much smoother motor in all aspects. In terms of reliability the MKIV never had me worrying.

Keep in mind these are just my opinions based on the 2 turbo MK3's and 1 MKIV NA that I have/had. I'm not trying to be biased or downtalk the MK3 or 7M at all. Comparisons described above are with a stock MKIV NA and stock turbo MK3 :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts