Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading the difference between the years in the MKIII.

Which year do you think is the best. I previously had a 240sx 1991. I'm told that 1991 LE model is the best because it was the lighest and somethign w/ the exhaust compared to the 1992 model. The 240 started from 1989 ( i think) til 1994. The best model was 1991.

So with the supraz i was wondering which was the best... i know there really isn't a best but would like to get an insight to help my shopping.

thanks

G

·
a lot of the differences, as far as i know, are cosmetic, and technological.

the 1992 looks the best. Post '89 tail lights, spoiler, front bumper, steering wheel... and a few other thing just look way better. '89 and after is when it really started to look good.

then the differences are like airbags, LSD, stuff like that. as far as i know, all good things, adding insignificantly little weight. (the weight these things add would only matter if you're stripping the car and full out drag racing, and in that case the year doesn't really matter, you're rebuilding the whole freakin' car anyway)

1992 also have the least wear and tear, in general, because they've been on the road the least amount of time. the only problem is that 1992's are a tad rare, because everyone was waiting for the 1993 upgrade. (a HUGE one worth waiting for) so 1992's weren't sold nearly like the previous MK3s.

This is my limited info. hope it helps. might not be the more technical stuff you were looking for, but whatever. :)

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
looks are all a matter of opinion...some people think the 89+ cosmetics are better where some people think the pre 89 cosmetics were better...i know most people think the pre 89 front bumper is more aggressive... etc etc

as for the car the engine is the same 89+ and the only big things after that are the speaker systems and the airbags. and most people like the single year 89 steering wheel the best because its like 90-93 but it doesnthave the bulk in the middle because it lacks and airbag......

and the 92s are rare...but its the 93s that are the rarest......if you can find one of those...it will be in good shape gauranteed!

·
Premium Member
6,130 Posts
IdealSupra said:
looks are all a matter of opinion...some people think the 89+ cosmetics are better where some people think the pre 89 cosmetics were better...i know most people think the pre 89 front bumper is more aggressive... etc etc

as for the car the engine is the same 89+ and the only big things after that are the speaker systems and the airbags. and most people like the single year 89 steering wheel the best because its like 90-93 but it doesnthave the bulk in the middle because it lacks and airbag......

and the 92s are rare...but its the 93s that are the rarest......if you can find one of those...it will be in good shape gauranteed!
The engines are not the same man, the 87 - 88 had a 6m crank while the 89+ had the 7m crank, which was heaviar and balanced better which moved the redline down on the 89+. The other difference is the motor mounts and cross member, if you plan for a 1j, then you should get a 89.5+ so you don't have to go through the hassle of changing out the cross member, and oh yeah, the 89+ has cup holders :) heheh aight peace

<-- 89+ rules the world

G

·
depends on whats available, the money you wanna spend...yadda yadda yadda.

The only engine difference is in the 86.5-88 with the 6m crank.

Other than that, its all cosmetic and electrical differences. Look for one that appeals to you.

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
BoostAddctn said:
The engines are not the same man, the 87 - 88 had a 6m crank while the 89+ had the 7m crank, which was heaviar and balanced better which moved the redline down on the 89+. The other difference is the motor mounts and cross member, if you plan for a 1j, then you should get a 89.5+ so you don't have to go through the hassle of changing out the cross member, and oh yeah, the 89+ has cup holders :) heheh aight peace

<-- 89+ rules the world
if you read my post...i said the engines are the same from 89+

and frankly the slight differences in the 6m and 7m crank are barely worth mentioning if at all.....

as for the weight differences....of course once new things were added it added weight....hence the reason the bone stock 86.5 was probably the lightest while the 92 or 93 fully loaded was the heaviest.....

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
omgitsroy326 said:
when was lsd added?

thanks for the help
LSD was always an option on the N/A models, and came stock on all the turbo's.

I like the 89 steering wheel, and climate control, as well as the spoiler in the back, but that about covers any cosmetic changes that matter to me.

The front end on the pre-89 is just way nicer IMO.

The steering and suspension was changed in 89, and in 90 I think, but I honestly can't remember the changes, lol, I bought mine 5 years ago, and that's when I would have driven different years.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
89+ has variable rate power steering, which is a sweet feature. Feels the same at 150 on the freeway as it does doing 5 in a parking lot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts