Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states, I'm creating this thread to cover the topic of swapping a 6 speed CD009 from a G35/350Z, into our MKIV's. There seems to be limited information on the Forum about this swap. Unfortunately, I missed out on buying a V160 before they were discontinued and jumped in price. I'm going to outline the basics of the swap, feel free to correct me / add insight if you would like.

I'm going to start with saying this transmission IS NOT equivalent to a V160. If you have the funds, swapping a V160 is by far the best route.
W58<R154<CD009<T56<V160... In my opinion...

For the people who don't have those funds, but still want to make 800RWHP, this is a good option. They handle high torque loads very well. I'm an apprentice technician with Toyota (severely underpaid) so personally, this is a good route for me.

Whats needed - Prices are approximate
-CD009 6MT FS6R31A - $500 USD - Nissan did a very bad job at classifying which transmission was which. For example, the CD001 looks identical to the CD009. The transmissions prior to the 009 were weaker. There's a few internal differences, but my understanding is the biggest difference were in the synchros. A quick google search will reveal that Nissan had big issues with blown trannies (giggle) and many were replaced under warranty. Do your due-diligence before you buy what you THINK is a 009 revision. Supposedly, Nissan sorted out their issues by model year '06. So get an '06 and you're likely in the clear. I will copy and paste the synchro differences to the bottom of the thread.

Adaptor kits - Price these out yourself with the clutch setup you want.
You've got a couple choices here.
- Collins Adaptors adaptor PLATE. Traditional adaptation method with a plate between the trans and motor.
-Collins Adaptors A340 adaptor kit - You cut the VQ bellhousing off the 009 trans, and bolt up a Toyota automatic transmission bellhousing. This is pretty nifty IMO.
-Maverick Motorsports adaptor kit - Uses the traditional plate method and a SPEC clutch. This specific one is interesting because of its use of a SPEC clutch. Personally, a good name brand clutch is important to me.

I am not sure who manufactures Collins clutches. Anyone know?
All these kits claim to clear the MKIV firewall and tunnel, with no milling required. I wont believe that until I see it..

- Modified/New shifter $300. The MKIV's shifter location in the tunnel is shorter than that of a 350Z or G35. How much shorter I'm unsure of right now. Many companies manufacture shifters to remedy this. I will provide an exact measurement when I can.

-Driveshaft. $500-$800 depending on material used. What a great time to go 1-piece:D. Many are available online. Or measure it up yourself and support local business.

-Transmission crossmember $250 - Collins makes a nice looking unit. Although I'm having this fabricated locally.

- VSS ; Speed sensor. The 009 doesn't have one. I've yet to figure this out. Driveshaft speed sensor on the input yoke of the differential is likely the solution.

- Slave cylinder. $100 if you weren't lucky enough to get one with the transmission.. Assuming you bought used.. probably a good part to replace for piece-of-mind.

**if you have to**
- Rear differential. Now would be a good time to re-gear the rear diff to suit the 6 speed. Personally, I have the small 200mm diff. My car is originally an SZ model ( 4.083:1 ). Ideally you want either a 3.133:1 ratio (big diff) or a 3.266:1(small diff).
My plan is swapping a GS400 ring and pinion (3.266) and a Tomei LSD. This will probably come out to $1000

My swap will be taking place over this winter. I'll be sure to keep the thread updated. Total cost of swap will be tallied at the end :)

Revisions 000 through 004:
1st: double synchro
2nd: double synchro
3rd: single synchro
4th: single synchro
5th: single synchro
6th: single synchro

Revision 005 through 008:
1st: double synchro
2nd: triple synchro
3rd: double synchro
4th: double synchro

Revision 009:
1st: triple synchro
2nd: triple synchro
3rd: triple synchro
4th: double synchro

·
Registered
219 Posts
Subscribing and following this thread. I've always been intrigued with the CD009 swap, as compared to the T56 by Grannas and of course the V160. I've read that these transmissions hold respectable torque numbers and moderate power numbers, so I'll definitely need to consider this option if I have to buy a TT auto.

Good luck with the swap!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Received my transmission late last week. Right away, I tore into the transmission for a visual inspection of the gears, synchronizers, and bearings. After it was deemed the transmission hadn't gone through any obvious failure, I slapped it back together with some fresh RTV silicone, OE seals and gaskets. All of which were available from Nissan. ( Input seal and gasket, output shaft seal, shifter seal ). Always recommend doing this. Super easy process. Follow the Nissan CD service manual available online.

Which brings me to my next point. identifying a CD009 revision. The pre-009 (008 as the book calls it) has a 2 piece main shaft bearing retainer. the 009 has a 1-piece "plate". Identification is clearly shown on page MT-33 - MT-34. Identification via double/triple synchronizers is also an option.

More to come

·
Registered
57 Posts
Im looking to do this swap as well. Plan on going with the Collins A340 adapter, his crossmember, and possibly Collins' new 8.5" twin disc clutch, Serial Nine shifter, Tilton throwout bearing. Also, looking to go with Grannas Racing Ford 8.8 rear end swap with 3.55 Detroit Truetrac and DSS aluminum driveshaft. He introduced a new twin disc clutch that is 8.5" in diameter which is a lot larger than the competition who are using 7.25 ID. Larger surface area would mean better drivability, which a lot of people complained about. Who or where it is manufactured is a big question i would like to know. His last multiplated clutches were made by Quartermaster.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great thread! I will be watching and learning as well.

I have a JDM 94 TT auto down here in Victoria.

Where did you source your trans from?
Canada Represent.

I kept an eye on Auto recyclers of Canada dot com. and Car part dot com. Eventually sourced one from Fenton Auto Parts in Barrie, Ontario. Low mile T-boned G35. Got it cheap enough I could justify spending $200 getting freighted out to B.C.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
update -
Purchased my parts earlier this week from Collins adaptors. Brett Collins was nice enough to hook me up with the Black Friday coupon code. $400 off never hurt anybody. Great customer service from him. Even took time out of his day on Thanksgiving to answer my questions.
I went with the stage 6 clutch system and traditional plate-adaptor. Decided on the stage 6 only due to it having a true-rotational mass (flywheel). The stage 5 needs the OEM auto flexplate, and its been reported on a few threads that I came across, that the drivability on them wasn't the greatest. Easy stalling and harder to get the wheels turning from a stop. Which makes sense... The flywheel is there for a reason. I wont benefit from the added torque handling capability, the stage 5 was very able to handle my power goals.

Onto the shifter... Went with the Collins shifter (apparently its not actually a Collins part... forget who makes it). its listed to measure out @ 31-1/2". Upon measuring the shifter distance on the R154 after removal, it was @ 32-1/4". Which fit well on my originally-automatic car. So here's to hoping it works.

Driveshaft - Held off on buying this for now. Collins sells one for $450 + $100 adaptor. Driftmotion might make one, I haven't inquired yet. But their driveshafts are listed @ below $400.. Figure this out later.

Just been working on removing the motor the past few nights. Disassembly is coming along swimmingly .

·
Registered
45 Posts
Looking forward to see the updates. Anyone using the jk series transmission with synchronized down shift rev-matching system?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Let me know how it goes. I'm not sure what a stage 6 means but I got a Spec Clutch twin plate clutch disk kit with my Maverick Motorsports adapter plate and flywheel. I'm having a bit of trouble getting the input shaft to slide in the pilot bushing however. I got the input shaft splines to fit into the clutch disk hubs but its just that last 3/8" thats being a problem.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Let me know how it goes. I'm not sure what a stage 6 means but I got a Spec Clutch twin plate clutch disk kit with my Maverick Motorsports adapter plate and flywheel. I'm having a bit of trouble getting the input shaft to slide in the pilot bushing however. I got the input shaft splines to fit into the clutch disk hubs but its just that last 3/8" thats being a problem.
Well thats not good! Thats the kit I planned on going with in the spring..

·
Haltech Employee
81 Posts
Look into Shaftmasters when ready for a driveshaft. That's who I got mine through after I got the adapter kit from Collins.

Brett Fenning(FenFab) makes the shifter. Did you get the first or second revision?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice work. Good luck. What are you doing about the master cylinder and slave ?
I've just started thinking about this hurdle. The CD slave has a female 10mm banjo...I think. My old clutch line ( Driftmotion ) is 120deg ends with 10x1.0 threads. Think ill start by looking for an adaptor fitting..

Look into Shaftmasters when ready for a driveshaft. That's who I got mine through after I got the adapter kit from Collins.

Brett Fenning(FenFab) makes the shifter. Did you get the first or second revision?
I'll look into shaftmasters this afternoon. Not sure what revision I got. Hopefully the newest? My parts are still in Washington state at a PO box. Will be until mid Feb.

Updates with be scarce over the next 2 months. Heading back to school in the New Year.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Sorry for the double reply. What kind of setup are you running? I'd kill for the driveshaft dimensions.. Trying to avoid any downtime if possible. Shipping times into Canada are nasty.

·
Haltech Employee
81 Posts
Sorry for the double reply. What kind of setup are you running? I'd kill for the driveshaft dimensions.. Trying to avoid any downtime if possible. Shipping times into Canada are nasty.
I am running the Collins A340 kit w/ a 3.26 200mm diff. I don't remember off the top of my head the measurement of the drive shaft and not in my emails with them. I must have called and gave them the measurement when I ordered.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts