Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the feesibility of putting a mkIV 6 speed trans in a mkII for better highway economy. Will it fit? Are the ratios different enough to warrant a transplant of this kind?

·
Registered
459 Posts
This swap is in the category of: "If you want to spend a few grand to gain 3mpg be my guest".

You're asking for a world of pain and expense if you even attempt it...good luck.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
Unless you can find a rear end for your MKII in the 3.2 - 3.3 to 1 range, you'll lose fuel economy, as well as top-end speed.

·
DDDDUUUUUBBBBBZZZZZZZZ
2,022 Posts
and i'm sure the shafts are different lengths-another PITA you'll hafta deal with

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
Pretty sure the output shafts are different on the trannies too, so that's something else.

·
Registered
427 Posts
6th gear in the V160 is nearly the same ratio as 5th gear in the W58. In other words, it will make zero difference to highway fuel economy.

The V160 does not have a separate bellhousing like a W58, so adapting it to an M series engine (or anything apart from a JZ engine) will be a world of pain. In short, forget it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts