Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i was talking to a Porsche GT2 owner about his car and he ended up asking me what i had. I said i've got a 1JZ and that's the smaller brother to the 2JZ. His eyes light up and he started asking me about the 2JZ engine b/c he had Heard rumors about the engine.

He ends up asking me what the achilles heal of the MKIV Supra is, b/c like most cars they have at least one. I paused, and then paused some more. I told him, "I'm not really sure if it does have one."

We went on about drivetrain, tranny, stock engine components, and other misc. stuff trying to come up with one but i couldn't come up with one. So he had me thinking, Does the MKIV 2JZ-GTE has an achilles heal???

·
Registered
9,808 Posts
Syed Shah said:
The driver ;)

AGREED, when I read the title....thats what I was going to post also. The common knowledge among domestic and import drag racers go like this.........What do a 400 and 800 horsepower Supras have in common? ........They BOTH run 12's at the track :wtflol:

Jason

·
Registered
659 Posts
As for the engine i'd say front main seal. Anyway it's not properly an Achille's heal... it's an issue that lots of car have! As for the rest of the car i'd say the rear torsen that gets into some play after a few miles... but that can be also easily explained: torsen diff is one of the most delicate LSD type made, and the Supra has loads of torque, expecially if BPU. This causes some play in the diff. Solution is $900 away, getting a TRD one (which is clutch type..it has no play but it doesn't have Torsen's smoothness when operating) :)
For all other things i think about i cannot find any defect. Ok, some guys here broke the belt tensioner or twisted the driveshaft.... but those are definately not Achilles Heals... just random happenings that every kind of car has (expecially if it burning out more thant 200hp/liter :cool: )

·
Registered
697 Posts
Valve stem seals, sqeaky control arms, wheel bearings, center console lid breaks, rust in hatch area... These are the most frequent complaints I've heard. I'm not really the one to make a judgement call on what the achilles heel of a jza80 is though. :dunno:

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Not drivetrain related but IMO applies to the chassis: overweight and the TTops have overly flexible chassis

·
Registered
659 Posts
reading what you all are writing i'm asking if you actually know the mean of "Achille's Heal" :dunno:
...it means that there's a weak (and i mean WEAK) point in the object (in this case in the supra). Not just a downside or a 'con' of the car (as might be weight or so).
I can partially agree about wheel bearings... that's a semi-weak point in the supra.... but why the weight? Where the hell can you find a car that goes as low as 3.5hp/kg with $1k mods?? :dunno:

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
OK, the power-to-weight is good. But if you do more than just drive in a straight line, weight is a huge issue.

Also, you probably meant 3.5kg/hp since 3580 lb = 1627 kg and 1627/465 = 3.5kg/hp ...unless somebody knows how to get 5700HP with $1k mods!?!

But nevermind if you don't want to count these specific hardware characteristics (overweight & too flexible) in the achilles heel category.

Maybe I would add "marginal/poor thermal management" whether pushing the stock twins too hard or driving singles hard for prolonged periods ...but I think in your definition, that's more in the wrong type of achilles heel category too.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Nick 95 6sp said:
OK, the power-to-weight is good. But if you do more than just drive in a straight line, weight is a huge issue.

Also, you probably meant 3.5kg/hp since 3580 lb = 1627 kg and 1627/465 = 3.5kg/hp ...unless somebody knows how to get 5700HP with $1k mods!?!
of course i inverted kg and hp :bigthumb:

But nevermind if you don't want to count these specific hardware characteristics (overweight & too flexible) in the achilles heel category.
indeed, i don't consider them. I really don't believe i should do! :dunno:
As for the chassis, it is flexible only with the targa off... but that's a common thing between targas (you cannot buy a ferrari and say that fuel comsumption is an issue... you simply know that from the beginning :p ). I'm also told that a Strut bar in the front help a lot.

Maybe I would add "marginal/poor thermal management" whether pushing the stock twins too hard or driving singles hard for prolonged periods ...but I think in your definition, that's more in the wrong type of achilles heel category too.
i think that too... :) in my point of view an achilles heel is when an object (eg a car) does not do something it is actually supposed to do! a faulty electric system is an achille's heel, a shitty geatbox that looses gears is, an engine that blows 1liter of oil every 200 miles is.... i hope you undrstand ewhat i mean :)

·
Administrator
17,266 Posts
Curb weight and propensity to overheat when tracked (thermal management). I can deal with both, but the second is a bit more difficult overall to ultimately manage.

·
Administrator
17,266 Posts
Huh? Running higher than stock boost can cause heat related problems alone at sustained load, much less putting an FMIC on there and running around the track, which many do.

Fortunately, no FMIC for me (yet). ;)

Oh, I forgot to mention steering feel...the power steering assist is too strong in the Supra TT and the feeling is pretty numb at times. I definitely hold that against the car, and people who have gone to manual steering have reported much better steering feel.

Steve T.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts