Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
My name's Scruffy.
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have the opportunity to buy an MKIV auto trany that has been built up to take a pounding so its race prepped, even with a 3800 high-stall converter. can i somehow make the auto trany bolt up to the 1jz? i mean i know i will have to get a bell housing but will it work on this setup? (1jz-gte motor, 1991 MKIII turbo, MKIV auto trany)?

·
CT12 Destroyer
2,993 Posts
i wanna say that the 2jz auto tranny bolts right up..

but dont quote me.

I think you use the 2jz clutch and the 2j flywheel drill pattern

·
Registered
562 Posts
The tranny uses an ECT ECU. If you had the right one it would probably work with a little wiring help. I would think that it could be doable if you had the patience.

·
Registered
562 Posts
hmmm guess i need to read up on my MkIVs. Thanks for the info bdekoning. I have been doing research on the MkIV wiring and man they have got some fat plugs on those bastards.

·
Your Neighborhood Pikey
3,341 Posts
If you read his post clearly, he asked if the setup will bolt up the 1JZ. He didnt ask about the wiring that you guys jumped allover. The tranny will bolt up to the 1JZ. Controlling the tranny would definitely be an issue since the ECT is internal to the MKIV ECU. Perhaps the AEM EMS could control it? Dunno... Anything is possible.

One other option to consider is the auto from the Tundra...

- Hams.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Yes it will bolt right up, and the electronics aren't such an issue; I know of at least one transmission shop in Australia who sells manual control boxes for Toyota electronic autos. Tiptronic shift on a Supra, yee-haa! :D

B

·
0 Posts
and how much do these control boxes cost?

yes, the AEM will control the trans.

·
My name's Scruffy.
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well could i just not use the ECT? or am i going to have to use the ECT to get it to shift correctly.

but the auto tranny from the tundra bolts up? how much stronger is it compaired to the stock 7m.
does the 1jz even come with auto? if so does it have ECT? and is it the same as the 7m's?

thx for the info guys..

-viperlocc

B

·
0 Posts
line pressure on the MKIV tt trans is computer controlled, thats why you need the MKIV TT ECU.. (on the other a340s the line pressure is just controlled by cable)

btw, cant the 2jz ECU run the 1JZ motor? im pretty sure all the sensors are the same/of the same type...

B

·
0 Posts
yea, i meant the sensors that need to be physically attached to the motor..

air flow sensor = something that can be transfered over.

·
MKIV SUPRA FREAK
1,738 Posts
this is viperlocc!!

is the jspec 2jz map? i thought it was. so pretty much if im good with wires and all that i could MAYBE get it to work?

how about just building the auto 7m? who has there's built?

·
Your Neighborhood Pikey
3,341 Posts
Hmm the 7M's auto tranny can't handle much power... A few companies do offer upgrades, but not much has been said on the positive for them. One note, Sound Performance does offer an upgrade for $2900 range, but that's not including an upgraded stall, which you'd probably want to consider.

I had considered this route when I blew up my tranny on my 50,000 mile car, but then I looked at the cost/benefit, and chose to do a 5 speed swap. I wonder honestly if the 1JZ would be better suited for a 5 speed though...

- Hams

B

·
0 Posts
the 7m auto trans is basically the same tranny thats in the NA MKIV and SC300.. so its been proven to take well to builds. DaveH for example - low 10's and 600+ rwhp all day on a built Sp GEN 1 NA auto.

·
My name's Scruffy.
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
that was my other route was to get it upgraded by larry at SP. now since the 1jz come with the same tranny, is it built up better since its a higher HP motor? or is it exacly the same?

B

·
0 Posts
i honestly dont know anything about the 1jz tranny..

btw, boostlogic is doing MKIV NA tranny buildups for $1800 now...
(same trans)

·
Your Neighborhood Pikey
3,341 Posts
I heard that too about Boost Logic... Kean builds nice stuff so I'm sure it would be a good choice. I still think a good choice would to build an adapter plate for a TH400... It would be bullet proof.

- Hams.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts