Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i still need bpu's since i recently recieved my 94 mkiv turbo from my parents, which they restored at our body shop from a total. im a student on a budget wanting to get a high horsepower supra. i know a single turbo conversion kit [the sp74HO] that costs $4500 and includes everything i need (turbo, hoses, BOV,wastegates, exhaust, etc.) the only things it doesnt come with is an intercooler, upgraded fuel system, and a new ecu. i want this kit because i was told it would help me run 9's w/o n2o and full interior. ive seen the proof also. i need suggestions for the fuel system, ecu, and intercooler. any help is great apreciated.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also, that bumper in the Supra Forums banner, what model is it? i know its a C-West, but i dont know which model it is.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
BPU is downpipe, catback exhaust, boost cut controller, boost controller, and some people do intake. there are several other mods to do along with BPU which bring your car to BPU+, BPU++, and so on. going with upgraded turbo/turbos is APU. BPU = BASIC performance upgrades. APU = ADVANCED performance upgrades. Its called advanced for a reason. There is a lot involved.

You should really read this.... http://www.mkiv.com/faq/faqtt.html it will answer most every question you have posted so far.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i still wonder about the parts i need, what fuel system, intercooler, and ecu would be good for big single turbo?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
j2supraman said:
i still wonder about the parts i need, what fuel system, intercooler, and ecu would be good for big single turbo?
intercooler, i prefer GReddy, ill probably get the 4-row when time comes for me to buy an intercooler, but I know a lot of people have made very good power on a GReddy 3-row. All of the big companies make intercoolers (Apex, Blitz, HKS)... but Im not sure on the specifics of those.

ecu/engine management.. depends on how much tuning and control you want. you can have a full standalone such as AEM EMS... PHR has a new MAP ECU that is supposed to be very good, replaces the VPC/S-AFC combo... you could also try and find a used VPC, although with the MAP ECU out now, I would buy that over a VPC, unless I already had the VPC. Personally Im planning on AEM EMS when the time comes.

fuel system... theres so many different options that I dont know where to start. youll need a bigger fuel rail, bigger injectors (injector size depends on hp goal), bigger fuel lines, upgrade fuel pump, and adjustable fuel pressure regulator, probably a few other small things. Since you are talking about SP74HO kit, Im assuming you have big goals, which means you will have to replace a lot/use bigger injectors/higher flowing fuel pump compared to less hp goals.

You could check out the setups of some of the cars on www.T04R.com. Try and find one that comes close to what you want to do, and pattern it after what they did (such as using comparable parts).

Titanium said:
the car isnt gonna get u into the 9's you'll have to pull that off yourself
:agreed:

you can have all the power and all the performance parts you want, and if you cant drive the car worth a damn, you wont get good times.

·
its a slow auto...
3,362 Posts
i dont know if you've ever driven a high hp car, let alone a 9 second car:eek: but if you've never been i such a thing and are really plan on doing this build up you should find some one on here thats in your area and has a single turbo car that will give you a ride in it;) if you never driven anything that fast you'll probably just wind up putting that car right back in your parents body shop:( a mid to low 11 second car is plenty fast for the street and will give an asswhooping to most cars out there...not to mention will cost you a hell of a lot less then a single turbo 9 second street car;) just something to think about. jay

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ive driven my cousin's viper(hes an owner of a plumbing company) and that hauls alot of ass...its a bit loud...and thats a high horsepower car. also one of his member in the viper club owns a twin turbo powered viper, and that person took me for a ride. it was hell of a ride and thats why i wanted a high hp supra. so yes ive driven and road in high hp cars.

·
SC Under Pressure
290 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something (wouldn't be the first time!) but aren't you going need to leave the state of California to pull this off. There are no single turbo's legal here dude, period. Most of the other stuff you are talking about isn't legal here either. I'm not going to get specific here, (no expert), but you are in serious shit with what you think you can do vs. what CA says you can do.

You are going to be one pissed off sucka when you spend $15-25k and see a CARB referee who tells you to trash it, park it or sell it out of state. You are spending too much time dreaming and not enought time reading this and other forums, I'm not shitting.

Problems for CA testing unless:

1) The kit has a CARB E.O. number - meaning its CA certified
2) The upgrade looks enough like stock to fool the tech
3) The tech is stupid, doesn't care, or you pay him/her off

One big problem is if you get caught, you run the risk of winding up on the "Black List" whereby you have to go henceforth to a referee station for all your I/M tests. No way you can fool around with those guys.

You better be studying law.:beerchug: :beerchug:

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
ive been researching it for when i bring my mkiv to cali (i plan on living out here after i am finished with school).. and seems like the best thing to do is to register it out of state, or find a shop that will let you pay a lot to pass regardless. ill probably leave my cars registered in Georgia.. cheaper.

·
Old School
314 Posts
Please don't make it sound so simple. Your also gonna have to think about traction, tranny, saftey equipment, etc. Do yourself a favor and research yourself, it isn't gonna do you any good to throw on parts suggested by us.

j2supraman said:
i still need bpu's since i recently recieved my 94 mkiv turbo from my parents, which they restored at our body shop from a total. im a student on a budget wanting to get a high horsepower supra. i know a single turbo conversion kit [the sp74HO] that costs $4500 and includes everything i need (turbo, hoses, BOV,wastegates, exhaust, etc.) the only things it doesnt come with is an intercooler, upgraded fuel system, and a new ecu. i want this kit because i was told it would help me run 9's w/o n2o and full interior. ive seen the proof also. i need suggestions for the fuel system, ecu, and intercooler. any help is great apreciated.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
j2supraman said:
i still need bpu's since i recently recieved my 94 mkiv turbo from my parents, which they restored at our body shop from a total. im a student on a budget wanting to get a high horsepower supra. i know a single turbo conversion kit [the sp74HO] that costs $4500 and includes everything i need (turbo, hoses, BOV,wastegates, exhaust, etc.) the only things it doesnt come with is an intercooler, upgraded fuel system, and a new ecu. i want this kit because i was told it would help me run 9's w/o n2o and full interior. ive seen the proof also. i need suggestions for the fuel system, ecu, and intercooler. any help is great apreciated. thanks :D
You clearly have no idea what it means to drive a 900rwhp Supra. Driving a Viper and riding in a TT viper will not prepare you, and all that power will get you is a smashed car and maybe even some serious injuries. The fact that your parent's bought you the car makes me think that you are an inexperienced driver, so 320hp is more than enough for you.

Keep it stock, and then after while add a DP, exhaust, BBC and boost controller. After you get used to that, you can consider going single. It really amazes me how many new Supra owners want a 1000HP machine before even getting to know the car.

How do you plan on stopping or maintaining control in such a powerful car? Suspension and brake upgrades are a MUST, even for BPU cars.

BTW, I'm not sure if you are an auto or 6spd, but either way, you won't be doing 9's anytime soon. Even with a 1000hp car, you'd be lucky to run 11's and not crash the car with your experience level (no offence intended, I certainly don't have the expereince to hit 9's either)

·
Registered
104 Posts
FWIW

"Student on a budget" and "running 9s" does not compute.

Go BPU, no farther, and then see where you are in two years financially.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i have alot of expirience drag racing with an 89 civic si that i used to have. i got it to get into the high 11's to high 12's with nitrous. so dont think i dont have expirience drag racing.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
j2supraman said:
i have alot of expirience drag racing with an 89 civic si that i used to have. i got it to get into the high 11's to high 12's with nitrous. so dont think i dont have expirience drag racing.
Well, it's good that you have some prior experience, but you really are comparing apples (fwd) to oranges (rwd) I won't even mention the powerband differences.

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
j2supraman said:
not to insult and fwd fans but...i must say there is a difference between a. the power to get a (probably) 2000 or less lb car into the 11's, than the power to get a 34-3700lb race weight car into the 9's. and b. fwd, isnt rwd. when you spin in fwd shifting into third, youre not in nearly as much trouble as in a rwd car. also with well over double the hp.

as said in the other thread, crawl before you walk. i do not mean to insult your driving skills, but seriously, this is a whole different world.

get your bcc, downpipe (i have one, if you want it pm me), exhaust, eibach springs, kyb agx shocks (coilovers if you have money), boost controller, and egt and boost gauges. then start thinking about other things...a front mount intercooler, an safc or other fuel controller, cam gears, an intake maybe, a short shifter, sway bars, strut tower bars, floor support bars, rear cross bar, etc etc...trust me man, theres lots of money to be spent, and lots of performance to be gained before you go single...im almost done with my BPU, THEN I will start saving for single. start small man, dont just try to jump in...stock twins to SP74HO is more of a jump than you think. its not buy kit, put kit on, buy sticky tires, press gas, brag about time slip. lots more to it man.

Mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Since you are on budget why not ask dad to pay for all those mods.Also don't forget you need BIG BALLS and LOTS & LOTS of experience to run 9's,did i mention BIG BALLS.BTW there's a big diff running 9's and high 12's.
TTT

·
Boost Junkie
12,843 Posts
I agree with everyone here. I am also a newbie to the Supra world, but do have a lot of experience with other vehicles. These cars are not cheap to build so if you are on a budget-stay on that budget. Do research and use the Search function before you ask questions that make your newbie status even more pronounced. Start small and go from there. There is a lot of things to learn before you start dreaming about running 9s.

Good luck.

Steve K.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts