Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys - just tried this out and was very pleased to see how well it worked with basically OEM fitment so I thought I would share.

Edit: The OEM filter for the sc300 (which is the one pictured below) is 88880-30040. (It supersedes the original part number of 88880-24020)

Backstory, I replaced all the foam in my AC box about a year ago when I removed it while replacing my dashboard. While it was out I noticed under the evap tray there was what looked like a formed cutout for some type of door or accessory. I didn't think much of it until I read about sc300/sc400's having a cabin filter. I did some digging through clublexus and came up with some photos of their cabin filter door. It was in the SAME place as the molded cutout from the Supra evap tray seen below. (this is a RHD MKIV unit, but the LHD is the same just reversed - RHD was the first picture I found) The door opening location in blue while the hardware locations are circled in red.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

Here is the picture from clublexus of the SC300 cabin filter door installed in what appears to be an identical size and location as the picture above (obviously this is a LHD sc300 and above is a RHD supra, but you get the idea):
Automotive exhaust Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

and this is the SC300 with the door removed showing the filters installed:

Automotive tire Vehicle Vehicle door Door Bumper

So after seeing this and knowing the Supra has a door opening that I assumed would be the same dimensions and would just need to be cut out for the door to fit I went to a local junk yard that had an sc400 in hopes of purchasing the filter door and the square nuts for mounting it.

This is what I came home with (I don't have the square nuts pictured separately, but you can see where they go when the door is installed - they are M5 threaded. I had one of the factory wingnuts too, but I opted to use allen head bolts for a cleaner look):

Wood Engineering Gas Machine Auto part
Automotive tire Tire Wood Finger Gesture

When I placed the door over the Supra opening it was a perfect match to the opening and the hardware locations. The next step was to cut open the filter door access in the MKIV air box. In hindsight I wish I had tried this when the box was apart as doing this cutting inside the car was a pain, but I was able to use a box cutter with a fresh blade and score the lines until I finally punctured the plastic. (you can see one of the square nuts I took from the SC400 in the picture below - there are two and they also fit perfectly in the MKIV airbox.) Then I used a step drill bit for the larger center rounded bump which worked pretty well. It is by no means perfect, but is about 95% and the door has an attached rubber seal to block any air leaks.

Hood Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Next step was to install the new toyota filters pictured below (as you can see they are designed to be installed together and actually interlock with each other once installed) - they even included an installation booklet with pictures:

Food Staple food Red Material property Gas
Grille Wood Gas Composite material Font
Font Material property Paper Paper product Design

So here's the install procedure:

They are designed to flex in the middle and then snap back together after being straightened inside the air box. Put the first one in and slide it toward the front of the car
Gas Computer hardware Gadget Audio equipment Office equipment

I can only attach 10 pictures so I'm going to break this into 2 posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Here's a picture of the inside of the HVAC box from when I tore it apart before I cleaned it. You can see circled in blue there is actually a locator pocket to secure the front filter:
Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Tread Wheel

Next step is to slide in the second filter and lock it into the side of the first one. Make sure both tabs on the bottom of the filters are closest to the rear of the car when inserting them as pictured:

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

Finally install the filter door, but make sure the filter tabs fall into the channels in the rubber gasket in the door. You can see how they line up below (I have outlined the filter tabs in red and the slots they lock into in the gasket in blue:

Hood Finger Gadget Bumper Electrical wiring

Here's a closer angle of the front tab and locator:

Finger Bumper Automotive exterior Gun accessory Auto part

After the filters are installed and the tabs are located in the door gasket. Screw down the door to seal everything up and secure it. Here is the finished product:

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yeah, I agree. However, while researching the sc300 filters, I learned that even the early sc300’s came from the factory with the door but no actual filters installed. So it wasn’t a big priority for Toyota in general it seems. Not to mention Toyota was actively trying everything in their power to reduce the weight of the mkiv. Perhaps this was part of that?

0 change in flow, but the Toyota filters are carbon impregnated which should reduce any external smells and seemed to make the air smell a little cleaner. I took apart and cleaned everything in the hvac when I replaced the foam so it smells basically new anyway. I haven’t had a chance to drive it and compare.

·
Premium Member
1987 MA71 R154 Pearl White, Blue Velour
1,200 Posts
Glad to share it! I figured I’ve gotten quite a bit from the forum so I’m due to give something back.
Thanks much! I love write ups like this.

I have a MK3 but I encounter this type of stuff as well. I had to come up with a quick and dirty way to get around the fact that the 87MK3 had a smaller plug size for the LED flasher so a new LED flasher does not fit. They changed this in 89 or 90, but for my 87 I made this and it solved my problem.

Font Parallel Diagram Event Science

·
1,872 Posts
A long time ago, I discovered that I could remove the "white plastic cover" when I had the glove box disassembled and placed a cabin filter in there . At the time, I had a few extra Acura cabin filters and one of them fit perfectly, so I ran with it.

I always assumed there was a better way but I never bothered to search this forum. I appreciate you posting your research findings and I am glad you found a way to make changing the filter more user friendly and its basically oem after modifying it.

·
Registered
94&93 vr4, 94 rx7, 98 2.5rs, 95 Supra TT
165 Posts
Really nice write-up. If anyone finds another cover, I'd love to add one to my Supra. On the gc8 subarus (98-01) there was a cabin filter option from the dealer. It worked exactly the same. You'd cut the opening out and they would sell a cover and a filter. The covers are long discontinued, but I was able to get my hands on one and created a 3d printed one for the community. I was initially printing and selling them, but later just released my design file as it was too time consuming. The oem one also had a rubber seal, but the plastic one I made sealed fine.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts

·
Boost Junkie
12,800 Posts
I'd love the part number as well....if it isn't discontinued. I guess one thing we have going for us is junk yards.....but I'd rather not go there.

Steve

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, I couldn’t find any individual part number for it. I think it’s part of the evap tray sold as one piece, which is discontinued. I didn’t look too hard though as I wanted to confirm fitment before I tried buying new parts. This would definitely be a good candidate for a 3D printed item.

·
1,872 Posts
^
The part number you gave is for a 91-97 Toyota Aristo and 91-95 Toyota Crown/Majestic and is showing as discontinued and not interchangeable. The 93-97 Lexus GS300 is also showing as discontinued and not interchangeable.

The correct part number for the 1991-2000 Lexus SC300/SC400 bottom tray is 88524-24060 and is also showing as discontinued. I'm not able to find a part number for the lower bracket only because it may have been sold as an assembly.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts