Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While trying to decide what color to convert a black (rarest of all) MKIV, I came across these codes after hours of calls and internet searching. Here is the site from which they originated, and it links to the product numbers from Sherwin Williams automotive paint systems.

http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/formula/car_finder.cfm

I have them in an EXCEL file if anyone wants it.

TOYOTA 6Q7 BASECOAT IMPERIAL JADE MICA 1998 - 1998
TOYOTA 8L5 BASECOAT ROYAL SAPPHIRE PRL 1997 - 1998
TOYOTA 199 BASECOAT ALPINE SILVER MET 1994 - 2002
TOYOTA 1B9 BASECOAT QUICKSILVER FX MET 1998 - 1998
TOYOTA 3L2 BASECOAT RENAISSANCE RED 1994 - 1999

TOYOTA 752 BASECOAT BALTIC BLUE MET 1994 - 1996
TOYOTA O40 BASECOAT SUPER WHITE II 1985 - 2004
TOYOTA 202 BASECOAT BLACK 1976 - 2004
TOYOTA 1A1 BASECOAT ANTHRACITE MET 1994 - 1995
TOYOTA 6P3 BASECOAT DEEP JEWEL GREEN

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
I have a 93 baltic blue. How is it that the color started in 1994 there?

·
Addicted to boost
525 Posts
suprafanatic said:
While trying to decide what color to convert a black (rarest of all) MKIV, I came across these codes after hours of calls and internet searching. Here is the site from which they originated, and it links to the product numbers from Sherwin Williams automotive paint systems.

I have them in an EXCEL file if anyone wants it.

TOYOTA 6Q7 BASECOAT IMPERIAL JADE MICA 1998 - 1998
TOYOTA 8L5 BASECOAT ROYAL SAPPHIRE PRL 1997 - 1998
TOYOTA 199 BASECOAT ALPINE SILVER MET 1994 - 2002
TOYOTA 1B9 BASECOAT QUICKSILVER FX MET 1998 - 1998
TOYOTA 3L2 BASECOAT RENAISSANCE RED 1994 - 1999

TOYOTA 752 BASECOAT BALTIC BLUE MET 1994 - 1996
TOYOTA O40 BASECOAT SUPER WHITE II 1985 - 2004
TOYOTA 202 BASECOAT BLACK 1976 - 2004
TOYOTA 1A1 BASECOAT ANTHRACITE MET 1994 - 1995
TOYOTA 6P3 BASECOAT DEEP JEWEL GREEN

hmmmmm.......

I've read numerous posts about thier being two types of whites.
One type being 040 in 1993 I believe
The other being 050 for 1994-1998

Someone care to chime in on this???

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
BTW....

There is now one less black MKIV out there, and one more Emerald Jade Mica Twin Turbo! What an awesome colour!!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
suprafanatic said:

Yeah I have a question about the Sherman Williams site.

"BMW 418 BASECOAT IMPALA BROWN MET 2000 - 2002"
"BMW 418 SINGLE STAGE IMPALA BROWN MET 2000 - 2002"

Is a base coat liek part of the paint of lieka colored primer? I'm going to get this color :

but I need to know if I need to buy both the "Base" and "Single Stage". It's gonig on my Civic hatch, yeah I know all of us Honda boys are rice bois, so save ur breath, jw if a base coat is a special primer or if it goes over a primer. Thx for any help/info ^_^.

·
i need horsepower
1,365 Posts
anyone kno the paint code for the "pearl white" that came on the SE's?? cant seem to find it anywhere....:mad:

S

·
0 Posts
Maybe I missed something... Why is it that whenever the color chart issue pops-up MSB is never mentioned??

·
You Can [Not] Advance
2,871 Posts
old man celica said:
anyone kno the paint code for the "pearl white" that came on the SE's?? cant seem to find it anywhere....:mad:
Diamond White Pearl = 051

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Re: Re: MKIV color code chart - HERE

RiceFx306 said:
suprafanatic said:

Yeah I have a question about the Sherman Williams site.

"BMW 418 BASECOAT IMPALA BROWN MET 2000 - 2002"
"BMW 418 SINGLE STAGE IMPALA BROWN MET 2000 - 2002"

Is a base coat liek part of the paint of lieka colored primer? I'm going to get this color :

but I need to know if I need to buy both the "Base" and "Single Stage". It's gonig on my Civic hatch, yeah I know all of us Honda boys are rice bois, so save ur breath, jw if a base coat is a special primer or if it goes over a primer. Thx for any help/info ^_^.
Regardless of where or when you read it.....:
Whenever you read "Basecoat", you should understand that it's a clearcoat color....meaning that it's a color that requires clearcoat on top of it.
Basecoat paint is a 2-stage paint system ---> the 1st stage is the color coats, and the 2nd stage is the clearcoats .

"Enamel" is a single stage paint ----> it is sprayed on the way a clearcoat is sprayed, and it requires nothing on top of it.... enamel is it's own color and shines automatically.

So, when you pull codes, you'll see enamel and basecoat options. ***If you want a clearcoat paintjob, pick the "basecoat" option/mixture***. Just understand that the code remains the same only because the resulting color is the same --> (no need for a different paint code).
"Basecoat" has nothing to do with primers at all.

By the way, I enjoyed the comment about Honda guys....subtle, funny way of keeping people's mouths shut :D ;) I liked it!

And midnight hour.....nice sig big daddy :D How's the car coming??!?!!? :)

Later

S

·
0 Posts
Midnight Hour- Ok, I figure it was but what is in the paint, besides grey, that gives it the appearance of brown? Anthracite, in any other color chart, is majority grey. Shit brown and grey are like night and day...

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
SupraBeach said:
Midnight Hour- Ok, I figure it was but what is in the paint, besides grey, that gives it the appearance of brown? Anthracite, in any other color chart, is majority grey. Shit brown and grey are like night and day...

There's no way to tell unless you pull the code and read it....there's like 80 cans of paint ingredients that make up a mixing bank in the bodyshoops. And many of the ingredients have effects on ultimate color that you'd never dream of.....it's not like mixing red and green water colors like when you were a kid :D Ingredients with names you've never heard before

Ex) Gray, brown, silver and black dont make anthracite :D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts