Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Cool as Ice
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have kick pods in thier Supra ? If so any pictures ? Also, does anyone have kick pods with a STD transmition. I've never seen it, but seems it would get in the way a little.
Also, what are people impressions of theese ? Usually they offer a better stage than door speakers but again, i've never dealt with a supra. Thomas Kenyon I'm sure you'll be replying seeing is you've got all the knowledge and tools to have kickpods yet you have door mounts ? Thoughts ?

·
Registered
248 Posts
I've got some. I'll see about posting pics of v1.0 tomorrow (Monday night). Version 2.0 should be in the works on Tuesday. The one problem with kicks is that you lose the dead pedal. I've been working on creative ways to keep it with v2.0, but it seems damn near impossible. I drive my Supra ~ once every week or two just around town so my foot is on the clutch pedal mostly and it's not that big of a deal. However, I am keeping speakers in the doors so I can pull the pods for road racing (i.e. put the dead pedal back in).

Let's be honest here - the imaging with the speakers in the doors sucks balls. I've got digital time alignment and I've been able to correct for it in the past. However, for those without, the imaging is plain whack. The kicks really help out imaging but at a price. The Supra is just a difficult car to deal with from a stereo perspective. Life would be much easier if I thought the braces in the kick panels weren't a necessary evil...

·
651 Posts
I do not have kick panel mounted speakers in my Supra but, have always wanted to build some. I believe a solid 3 way system with the sub in the door and a 4"+ tweeter in the kick would provide the best image. I still would install an attenuated dash mounted tweeter in the stock location so that the sound stage could be "lifted". It would be very important to be able to adjust the level of the dash tweeter. This would be desired for 'top off driving' and other instances were a raised sound stage would be desired.

Why do I not have kick pods when I know they would provide the best sound stage?? Good question... But, to answer it simply and honestly.. TIME! I have had custom kick pods built for many, many other cars but never for a Supra. I am in the buisness of car audio and installation. To do a kick pod correctly for a Supra would take at least 2-3 days by an experienced tech. (Maybe Mr. Sean Park can vouch?) During those 2-3 days of fabrication, the tech would not be acquiring income building something for me. Bottom line is this... customer's vehicles come before by personal car. Thankfully, it is not slow enough for me to actually have 2-3 days of free time in order to have them built.

Maybe someone would like to have me build some... We sure as hell have done kick pods in much more difficult cars than Supras!

Anyway.. I know it was a bit long winded but, I hope that explains it.

Thomas Kenyon
Custom Sounds
San Antonio, Texas
210-340-4000

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I recently mounted 6.5" Boston midbasses in my kick panels. Basically, remove the factory braces, enlarge hole for magnet to fit through, build some MDF spacers, seal cavity with expandable foam, carve out foam to form an enclosure and finish off the stock kick panel plastic. Partial pics are on my web site. I'll get some of the finished results in a day or two. Imaging is decent. Biggest problem is not enough volume for the 6.5. Ended up venting them to the outside behind the magnet.

Worse part was removing the factory brace on the right side. One bolt is up behind the heater ducting. It took about two hours to finally get it out. Was able to only turn it a few mm at a time. Working upside down is no fun either.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts