Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 284 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think? Take an N/A supra and drop an LSX engine in it. I think it would be a killer combination.

·
MUDKIP FARMER
2,709 Posts
I think that is kind of dumb, considering that the 2JZ is a big part of what makes the MKIV something special.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just figured it would be cool because it is light, and you can make a lot of N/A horse power out of it. I think it would help out the weight distribution and you would get better gas mileage too. It just seems like a better alternative to the 2JZ-GTE swap.

·
iSketch Master!
9,045 Posts
Why not just slap a 1uzfe (i believe its 1uz) in there or something. Last i checked they bolt right in, as they are the same engine in the sc400's, and you are at least keepiong it in the family, :p

ALex.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Do that to an RX7. Easier to do. As far as a Sup. Why ruin one of the big parts of the Supra having a cult following by removing its heart.

·
2jz powered
1,648 Posts
whats up with all these types of quetions lately? "can make my 2jz a v8 buy welding extra cylinders on" "mkiv ls1 swap"

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe it is because I'm not very brand loyal, but I don't see any drawbacks, besides difficulty, and who doesn't like a challenge.

·
I have auto ADD.
4,568 Posts
There's no real reason to swap in another engine other than a 2jzgte. It will cost more to put in the the ls1 than the 2jzgte and you won't have any power gains over the 2jgte.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
^Except possibly trannys. Th400's are Chevy trannys arent the.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SoarerTT said:
whats up with all these types of quetions lately? "can make my 2jz a v8 buy welding extra cylinders on" "mkiv ls1 swap"
"can make my 2jz a v8 buy welding extra cylinders on" That thread is just flat out ridiculous.

·
I have auto ADD.
4,568 Posts
SupraMan1990 said:
^Except possibly trannys. Th400's are Chevy trannys arent the.
Doesn't somebody make an adapter plate (or whatever they're called) to fit that tranny into an MKIV? Even if you did that you would still be under the cost to fit an LS1 into an MKIV.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
brewster said:
There's no real reason to swap in another engine other than a 2jzgte. It will cost more to put in the the ls1 than the 2jzgte and you won't have any power gains over the 2jgte.
Actually, if you swapped in an LS6 you would have a very significant power gain, as well as a more linear power band. And on top of that, the aluminum v8 would be lighter than the iron block inline 6. Not to mention better gas mileage.

·
I have auto ADD.
4,568 Posts
Jonas427 said:
Actually, if you swapped in an LS6 you would have a very significant power gain, as well as a more linear power band. And on top of that, the aluminum v8 would be lighter than the iron block inline 6. Not to mention better gas mileage.
An LS6 is going to run you much more than an LS1 though. For the extra money you would spend on the LS6 you could go BPU with the 2JZGTE. Maybe single? Maybe not, that might be pushing it.

Better gas mileage? Just keep the boost low when driving around.

What are the weights for each of these engines? There couldn't be that big of a difference. Maybe 100lbs tops?

If you really want to swap in an LSx go for it. :)

·
Registered
9,670 Posts
Go ahead and do the V8 swap.......and then when a BPU car smokes your ass dont come back here crying about it. BTW, go ahead and kick yourself in the balls.........thats how its going to feel when you realize you made a BAD mistake by taking a legendary car and putting an everyday common engine in it.

Jason

·
Member Thingy
1,120 Posts
Do that to an RX7. Easier to do. As far as a Sup. Why ruin one of the big parts of the Supra having a cult following by removing its heart.
An LS1 swap into an RX7 is one of the top three bang for your buck supercar mods. 300-400 easy NA horsepower on a linear powerband in a 2600-2800 lb chassis with aftermarket support like no other will, with equal drivers, pass 2JZ Supras like they are standing still on most tracks ... all on a budget less than half of the average price of a stock 6-speed Supra.

You do the math.

Those who say an LS1 in an RX7 is a bad idea have virtually no idea what they are talking about.

1 - 20 of 284 Posts