Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have drifted many times before on streets and in open lots successfully. For some reason last night, I practiced my drifting in an open lot and heard my rear diff kept "creaking" while i was doing "power-over" drifts. After the "creaking" I stopped because i felt i was doing damage to the rear drive train. Is the NA rear drivetrain too weak for drifting??? Does anyone drift their NA MKIV without probs???

Any advice is appreciated :)

·
blur2ed.com
829 Posts
I have been drifting my NA drift car for a few months now on the track in practice days, along with a little bit of parking lot fun from before. My Rear End is having no issues, but it is a non-limited slip.
does it sound like it is coming directly from the rear end/the diff itself? It might be time to change gear oil and diff oil. Redline seems to solve a lot of BS problems. Redline oil 75w-90 manual tranny oil is a good one to go with for Gear oil. It makes shifting smoother and gets rid of a lot of wierd grind noises.

Thats one suggestion. the other is to get an LSD.
I have a 96 and for the past 4 months i have been beating it hard on the track. Rear end has never been swapped, with about 90K miles on it. I have no problems with it, but my steering rack is starting to get a little loose; I am thinking because I need new control arm bushings, or my tie rods ends are loose. Either way I will be changing it to the Jasper Rack for better angle soon, as my plans are to go pro.

Hoped this help, and keep posting up. Be careful with parking lot drifting man; The po-po is starting to crack down. Start doing practice days.

www.driftday.com
www.dgtrials.com
www.southeastdrift.com
www.usdrift.com
www.drift411.com

·
Banned
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx for the suggestions! im goin to change the tranny and diff oil. very soon as i just change my engine oil today with Royal Purple. Do i read right that your still drifting on stock N/A diff?? I too am around 93K miles. Wow! do you have trouble getting both wheels spinning at times??? btw, GOOD LUCK on your pursuit to goin pro! I'll root for ya n say you started on an NA MKIV :D

·
Filmmaker
2,719 Posts
do you have and LSD or no? I dont, and i drift mine a bit in the parking lots, and i havent had any problems. its alot of fun!

Matt

S

·
0 Posts
yea i get that creaking noise too when i get on it through 1st and 2nd gear. I guess I need to change my oil in my tranny and differential. thanks for the info.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just recently have got one problem while drifting with my MK4. For some reason when I turn to the right the car makes a low click nosie. My fluids are always checked when needed to but I'm having the car looked at next week but other than that I've had no problems.

·
blur2ed.com
829 Posts
SRA-MK4 said:
blur2ed

you have fd rx7 turnlamps!! looks kinda cool!

thanks! I was trying to do something different, and i think it works well with the body lines.

·
blur2ed.com
829 Posts
By May 13,
my car will have:

TMEngineering Control Arm Bushings and Camber Adjustment (reversed for drift setup)
Ebrake Tightened
Welded Full Lock Differential
JIC Magic Tie Rods and Strut Brace
Koyo Radiator.

I will tell you what difference it makes after my practice day in Atlanta on the 14.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts