Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Im caught between two cars. I dont know which one to choose. There both great cars but each has its own special thing.

Its between a MKIV TT Supra and a E46 BMW M3, what do you guys think I know it might be biased since this the supraforum but go ahead.

·
Registered
27 Posts
As a DD the M3 is a better all around car... More of a pleasure to drive, better interior, better handling... However it is expensive to mod and used bmw's always seem to have problems.

If you are looking for a highway monster then the supra your only choice... However it will be a 10+ year old used car. Even with the Supra's track record of reliability, they are getting old and having problems.

·
Supra TT Senior
1,887 Posts
Really depends on what you're looking for. Supra will have all out power, rare, reliable. M3 will handle, have luxury, and have more class.

Personally, after I sold my Supra TT, I went shopping for M3s...did a ton of hw, drove a few, and decided to go with my Porsche for the better reliability.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
As a DD - M3. As a Weekend Warrior - Supra.

The M3 is alot more comfortable and practical. Decent power, handles on rails, and is very reliable - although many will say otherwise. I have had NO issues with the car at all - just the Stupid BMW Service Department. Make sure you look into your department and look into reviews from local guys that service there.

·
Z06 convert
1,378 Posts
Really depends on what you're looking for. Supra will have all out power, rare, reliable. M3 will handle, have luxury, and have more class.

Personally, after I sold my Supra TT, I went shopping for M3s...did a ton of hw, drove a few, and decided to go with my Porsche for the better reliability.
What are you looking to get for the Porsche?

·
Registered
17,677 Posts
So Im caught between two cars. I dont know which one to choose. There both great cars but each has its own special thing.

Its between a MKIV TT Supra and a E46 BMW M3, what do you guys think I know it might be biased since this the supraforum but go ahead.
I'll beat "Whatever" to it:

Get the M3 and do an LSX swap!:hay: :nuts:

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I think if you are comaring the two cars...and considering the M3 then you should go ahead and buy the M3. The cars are very different, drivablity, comfort, style, etc. and can't really be compared. As everyone seems to say above. The M3 is more of a DD and would be great as one. IMHO the Supra is a great collectors car that comes out on the weekend for fun so it is easier to ignore some of the downsides for the great power, handling, exclusivity of owning one.

·
Acolyte of Dienekes
2,458 Posts
Coming from a daily driven LS1 FD, I really needed something (alot) more comfortable and roomy since I spend a long time commuting, and something in an auto or has an auto mode since I'm stuck in stop-and-go traffic alot.

I considered a Supra, but it was really not much of a step up in luxury/comfort/romminess, I decided I wanted something more modern, and I have always thought the E46 M3 was super sexy and classy (though the Supra is also sexy). So I ended up with an SMG M3, and couldn't be happier :).

·
Vanilla
1,458 Posts
Just because something is expensive to replace doesn't mean that it is prone to failure.
Ever try researching SMG failures? Old/high milage SMG's are timebombs.

Same with 355 and 360's with the F1 box.

The technology behind these things weren't meant for the kind of service life/intervals that American streetcars go through.

·
Acolyte of Dienekes
2,458 Posts
Ever try researching SMG failures?
I have indeed. And yes, F-cars are a different story.

I'd be deathly afraid of an SMG car out of warranty.
Old/high milage SMG's are timebombs.
Owning an SMG M3 that is out of warranty and owning a very high mileage SMG M3 are 2 very different things. Of course euros are not gonna last as long as jap cars, but I'm not gonna keep this car for as many miles as I'd keep a yota for. But owning an SMG M3 that's out of warranty but doesn't have insanely high mileage should not be of great concern, we aren't talking apex seals here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts