Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
MKIV rear spoiler discussion:
I know us wingless guys still get some added downforce from the trunk design. But, any added downforce and/or safety for speeds 150MPH and up are an added bonus.
I plan to dragrace which speeds may near the 160s range or a hair more plus I plan to do more halfmile racing where I will near or possibly eclipse 200MPH if all goes well.
I have never driven in a MKIV with the OEM or TRD wing. Are they both designed for proper downforce and added stability or are they more of an aesthetic look over the wingless trunk? Never know and doesn't hurt to ask.
I may consider one or the other down the road and I want to do my homework now while the car is getting rebuilt and upgraded.
Thanks!

I build the CF drag wings for the T1 GTR's, but their flat trunk helps the construction immensely. Our arch and body lines make it suck. But heres one I saw and may try out to build on my own.

These are the ones I make for GTR's for example:

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
^^^ nice find Dick. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seems at very high speeds the oem one is a good balance between wingless and TRD. Guess I may hunt one down. Or, I may end up making a flat CF one straight off the back of the trunk lip like the ones I do at T1 for the GTRs. But the arch really makes it a PITA since we dont have flat trunks.

·
I blame the Midwest Sect.
1,097 Posts
I know when I switched from wingless to OEM, my 60-130 times on my vbox improved a little due to traction in 3rd gear. We are talking hundredths of a second, but that's also at a slower speed.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Going quicker is always a bonus, but I am more seeking stability and added safety

·
I blame the Midwest Sect.
1,097 Posts
Going quicker is always a bonus, but I am more seeking stability and added safety
Agreed, the speed was gained due to stability and a shift in the center of pressure to the rear. I personally think its noticeable on the highway at least, I never raced without a wing.

·
Registered
157 Posts
A loooooong time back, I found that when I went wingless with the Seibon CF hatch, the back end of my old Supra would start to feel "light" and "floaty" at around 130mph as well Brando.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I installed the Shine JZAA80-RD-PRO rear diffuser a few years back. Ran 1/2 mile race between 155 to 170 in windy conditions (more than 30 times. Lost count....)
stuck to the ground and had no problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This topic brings back old memories. About 17 years ago someone stole the spoiler off my lowered supra with 18" rims... Big rims back then;). I thought wow, this thing looks awesome with no fin. Then I entered the freeway at my usual 120mph pace and thought what the hell? Somethings not right. Felt like I was riding on a sponge in the rear. I even took my good friend for a ride and he noticed the difference right away. At higher speeds the rear seemed to lift. To this day I see guys running high speeds with no wing and I'm surprised. Maybe for me it was a placebo effect. But, when it comes to form or function, with a supra I find you can bet on function.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
which one Nick would you go with

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
I would go with the OEM wing unless you can make and test a custom wing. Maybe people who regularly drive deep into the high triple digits already have experience with other wings, drag wings, etc.

^ I would rate my opinion on this as barely more than hearsay and second hand info from reading other comments since I've only ever had experience with the OEM wing and not much over 185 and I've never driven a Supra fast without a wing. I also don't recall any comparative test numbers for OEM vs TRD. In the past there was a number floated out there for the OEM wing that I remember as "60 pounds downforce" but I forget if that's the correct number or at what speed. If that's at 80mph then downforce at 200 could be more than a couple hundred pounds.

·
Hardtopper
2,479 Posts
FWIW, I've been 180+ wingless and never felt even the slightest hint of instability, even on a less than ideal surface. I think alignment and tire selection will play a major roll in that, though. I'm on 19" R888, which I would assume is inherently more stable than say a 28" drag radial on a 15" wheel.

·
Registered
362 Posts
How about mounting a wing off the rear crash bar mounts? Might be easier to work with than the trunk lid and the increased leverage will increase the rear wheel downforce at the expense of front wheel downforce.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I would certainly agree with Hellbringer. When I felt the high speed instability above 130+, I was driving on a set of the 18" Blitz O3's with 285 wide Nitto NT555's and my Seibon CF wingless trunk. Not exactly the ideal setup for high speeds. I just kept it below 120 until I sold it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts