Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to start racing the car over the next year so now I'm preparing the engine/suspension for track usage.

What is the best road race suspension setup to run on a '97 TT with a Sport Top? Are strut tower front/rear necessary?

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
Originally posted by Lue:
<STRONG>Andi would be the best person toask about this subject.</STRONG>
I'm flattered that you say that, but I must admit there are quite a few other road racers on here and they each have their own opinions as to suspension setup.. heh.

Front strut tower brace: yes, get one. TRD. Call Jeff Watson @ Toyotaworld.com

Sway bars: get 'em. TRD. Call Jeff Watson @ Toyotaworld.com

Springs & Shocks: Depends on how stiff you're willing to go. If you want a good, nice balance of luxury and sport, get Eibach Springs and KYB AGX shocks. If you want a stiffer setup and better handling, get coil overs from Tein or HKS (Teins are 2x the price of Eibach/KYB, HKS's are 3x the price).
Also I'd recommend doing cooling mods like a big Fluidyne radiator as well as an oil cooler from Greddy or Stillen or whomever else makes one. But I'd also leave the stock oil cooler too.. I'm running two oil coolers, stock water-oil cooler and Greddy air-oil cooler.

Try to keep the boost down on the road course. I would like to run 14.7psi (1 bar) but my car creeps to 1.1+ even with the boost controller off (downpipe, etc..).

Andi

·
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Andi,

I appreciate the feedback. I've also checked out your site...great info. I'm sure it's helped a few people out!

I'll be going with the Tanabe Exh. based on your input (another one of my posts you responded to!) as well as the Eibach/KYB setup for now. I'm still considering HKS coilovers but seems too stiff for 95% of my use on the street. I guess I should ask them if they offer spring rate options...then I could buy the HKS with springs soft enough for the street and swap to race springs for the track.

Is there a better boost controller than the Profec B for racing applications. Mainly concerned with reliability/accuracy.

Regarding turbos, will I be underpowered running the stock twins in TT mode with 14.7 psi boost? I've checked out Reg Reimer's One Lap car and I think he is making nearly 500 RWHP .... a bit more than stock twins in tt mode.

Thanks again!!

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
All coil-overs can have different rate springs swapped in/out. That's the big advantage of coil-overs, besides the height adjustability.

The Teins are the cheapest, and in my opinion and that of others on the MKIV list, the best also. Although, the Intrax ones have the advantage of working with standard Eibach race springs, so you don't have to wait like I do 6 weeks for new springs to arrive from Japan (and to pay $150/pair like I just did). heh.

The Profec B and the DSBC are the best boost controllers IMHO. I have a DSBC.

As for the turbos, you'll DEFINITELY be better off running a Powerhouse single turbo at 14psi and making 475rwhp or so on stock fuel at the road course than with stock twins at 14psi with about 380rwhp.. *BUT*.. that's an expensive proposition. heh.

Stock twins at BPU boost levels on the road course just won't last too long and will create too much heat.

Andi

Originally posted by happyboostin:
<STRONG>Andi,

I appreciate the feedback. I've also checked out your site...great info. I'm sure it's helped a few people out!

I'll be going with the Tanabe Exh. based on your input (another one of my posts you responded to!) as well as the Eibach/KYB setup for now. I'm still considering HKS coilovers but seems too stiff for 95% of my use on the street. I guess I should ask them if they offer spring rate options...then I could buy the HKS with springs soft enough for the street and swap to race springs for the track.

Is there a better boost controller than the Profec B for racing applications. Mainly concerned with reliability/accuracy.

Regarding turbos, will I be underpowered running the stock twins in TT mode with 14.7 psi boost? I've checked out Reg Reimer's One Lap car and I think he is making nearly 500 RWHP .... a bit more than stock twins in tt mode.

Thanks again!!</STRONG>

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Out of curiousity, how do strut tower braces actually help our cars? I understand on cars with struts they can preserve negative camber as the strut tower bends. But our cars don't have struts.

[ May 21, 2001: Message edited by: Grant ]

C

·
0 Posts
Which do you think is a better investment if you had to choose: shocks and springs or front and rear sway bars?

Does anyone ever have a problem with scraping a SuperDragger Exhaust when the car is lowered?

Do the sway bars reduce flex in the car when the targa top is off?

Jon

C

·
0 Posts
One last thing...

My car is a '94 so I have the stiffer suspension to start.

Jon

·
Registered
74 Posts
Originally posted by Jon:
<STRONG>Which do you think is a better investment if you had to choose: shocks and springs or front and rear sway bars?

Does anyone ever have a problem with scraping a SuperDragger Exhaust when the car is lowered?

Do the sway bars reduce flex in the car when the targa top is off?

Jon</STRONG>
This depends on what shape your stock springs/struts are. My old '95 BPU was awesome on stock springs -- great fun to drive. But it only had 10,000 miles at the time. If your car's suspension is in good shape, go for the swaybars. TRD front strut tower brace and Cusco rear along with SS brake lines and Motul 600 brake fluid is also a good idea.

C

·
0 Posts
How can you tell what kind of shape there in? I mean, there a hell of a lot better than my friends '97, but I havnt ever rated them with another '94...

Jon

·
Registered
74 Posts
<STRONG>How can you tell what kind of shape there in? I mean, there a hell of a lot better than my friends '97, but I havnt ever rated them with another '94...

Jon</STRONG>
Basically if your struts are worn out (leaking, bouncing, etc...) they have to be replaced. Under average driving, factory struts should last ~80,000 miles. Make it 30K, if you live w/ tons of potholes around (i.e. downtown big city ;).

C

·
0 Posts
Struts? Replacing the springs and shocks would make a difference with the struts?

Thanks.

Jon

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
<STRONG>I mean, there a hell of a lot better than my friends '97...

Jon</STRONG>
I heard that!

This is how you tell: Replace them with Tein coilovers. Before throwing in trash, inspect them for leakage. I don't think our cars don't have struts.

I just rode in a pre-97 with stock suspension and khumo victoracers at an autocross. Hes car had 1/2 the body roll of mine, and he got the best time (albiet in a fun run) even against cars with slicks.... When are you going to come up here and kick my ass? Don't wait till I have Teins :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
<STRONG>Struts? Replacing the springs and shocks would make a difference with the struts?

Thanks.

Jon</STRONG>
Woops. I meant replace the shocks or whatever our cars have stock.

C

·
0 Posts
I will be coming up in the middle of July hopefully. I think I will be continuing onward to Boston to visit some friends.

And yes... i will kick your ass :).

Jon

1 - 16 of 16 Posts