Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a diagram showing the starter location?

My car won't start and I have removed the coilpacks/plugs in order to lubricate the top of the piston and cylinder walls since it hasn't run in so long.

About to whack the starter and see if anything changes but if not I'm going to replace it but I don't see it underneath at first glance.

Anyone have a diagram and any tips/tricks on how to remove it without hassle?

Thanks in advance for any insight

·
handy with the steel
414 Posts
The mounting location is circled in green below.

does it not turn over at all? What exactly happens when you turn the key?

·
iSPOOL
1,315 Posts
Anyone have a diagram showing the starter location?

My car won't start and I have removed the coilpacks/plugs in order to lubricate the top of the piston and cylinder walls since it hasn't run in so long.

About to whack the starter and see if anything changes but if not I'm going to replace it but I don't see it underneath at first glance.

Anyone have a diagram and any tips/tricks on how to remove it without hassle?

Thanks in advance for any insight
If you have a long breaker bar or something you can tap it from up top. Its here:

When we replaced mine we jacked the car up and went from the bottom driver side since the turbo supra is so jam packed with stuff you can barely see it from above. Just two bolts and a wire connection I believe.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The mounting location is circled in green below.

does it not turn over at all? What exactly happens when you turn the key?
View attachment 251212
Much thanks for that photo brother.

I've been having (what I believe to be) an electrical issue for a while now.

When I turn the key nothing happens, no noise, no nothing. One day the car just wouldn't start and I don't hear the fuel pumps kick on when I turn the key.

The interesting part is that the lights for the exterior and interior work..

I'm not sure if it's an electrical issue or what man.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have a long breaker bar or something you can tap it from up top. Its here:
View attachment 251213

When we replaced mine we jacked the car up and went from the bottom driver side since the turbo supra is so jam packed with stuff you can barely see it from above. Just two bolts and a wire connection I believe.
Thanks for that Shady, I'm going to give it a smack and see what happens.

If not, I wonder if I should hunt down the possible electrical gremlin or start replacing things.

·
handy with the steel
414 Posts
the obvious first thing to check is the battery. Assuming the voltage is good, put a meter across the terminals and have someone try to start the car. If the voltage goes to zero but nothing happens, it’s probably a bad battery.

If the voltage doesn’t change when the key is turned, then something in the circuit is keeping the car from starting. The two things I can recall off of the top of my head are the clutch/neutral switch and the anti-theft ecu. Both can interrupt the starter signal circuit.

A quick test you can do: If you can pull the plug off of the starter, you should be able check for 12V at the plug when someone turns the key. It’s a single wire (the starter is grounded to the block), so stick one probe in the plug and touch the other to the negative terminal on the battery or a known good ground location, like a bare metal spot on the chassis. When the key is turned to start, you should read ~12V.

·
Registered
351 Posts
If the fuel pumps aren't turning on, you might have a problem with the switch the key turns (ignition switch).

I'm just working from memory so I could be missing something but as I recall the starter relay needs the ignition switch, the clutch switch, and the anti theft ECU located in front of the passenger door to all connect to ground and the starter relay will switch on. You should be able to hear the relay or put a finger on it to feel it switch when you turn the key to start. A friend is great for this one.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
the obvious first thing to check is the battery. Assuming the voltage is good, put a meter across the terminals and have someone try to start the car. If the voltage goes to zero but nothing happens, it’s probably a bad battery.

If the voltage doesn’t change when the key is turned, then something in the circuit is keeping the car from starting. The two things I can recall off of the top of my head are the clutch/neutral switch and the anti-theft ecu. Both can interrupt the starter signal circuit.

A quick test you can do: If you can pull the plug off of the starter, you should be able check for 12V at the plug when someone turns the key. It’s a single wire (the starter is grounded to the block), so stick one probe in the plug and touch the other to the negative terminal on the battery or a known good ground location, like a bare metal spot on the chassis. When the key is turned to start, you should read ~12V.
Thanks for those tips man.

I bought a brand new battery for this specifically so the battery is okay.

I do have the clutch bypass so that I wouldn't get crank walk. I wonder if that could be causing an issue...

Just so weird that one day it was starting and running fine, then a week later it wouldn't do anything

I will give it a go with testing the power coming off of the starter connector.

Do you have a diagram or photo of where the anti-theft is?

If the fuel pumps aren't turning on, you might have a problem with the switch the key turns (ignition switch).

I'm just working from memory so I could be missing something but as I recall the starter relay needs the ignition switch, the clutch switch, and the anti theft ECU located in front of the passenger door to all connect to ground and the starter relay will switch on. You should be able to hear the relay or put a finger on it to feel it switch when you turn the key to start. A friend is great for this one.
Thanks for the tip s93.

Do you have any diagrams or photos for the locations of the ignition and clutch switch and anti-theft ECU?

Which relay should I try to feel turning on with my finger?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Thanks for the tip s93.

Do you have any diagrams or photos for the locations of the ignition and clutch switch and anti-theft ECU?

Which relay should I try to feel turning on with my finger?

Anti theft ECU is over on the right side up under the dash.

Starter relay is at the top right and you'd feel that turn on if you turn the key to start. Check the fuse marked AM2 too.

In the left kick panel, near driver's foot. Check the ST fuse with the badly drawn red circle around it.

Here's the overall diagram for the starter.

·
Registered
1993 Supra NA-T
48 Posts
I had a problem very similar to this. Usually if the starter is going bad, you can turn the key 50 times and get it to start 5 or 6 of them. Before you beat your starter to death and ruin the magnets, try cleaning the terminals and leads on your battery. All the electronics on my car worked but its like the starter couldn't get enough power.. I even bought a new battery. Turns out the leads had just barely enough corrosion to cause it to not start.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
View attachment 251244

Anti theft ECU is over on the right side up under the dash.

View attachment 251245

Starter relay is at the top right and you'd feel that turn on if you turn the key to start. Check the fuse marked AM2 too.

View attachment 251247

In the left kick panel, near driver's foot. Check the ST fuse with the badly drawn red circle around it.

View attachment 251246

Here's the overall diagram for the starter.
Much, much thanks for those diagrams s93, I know that wasn't a quick find.

I really appreciate and will report back

1 - 11 of 11 Posts