Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello gents, hoping to get your assistance on a suspected suspension issue.

I recently changed out both front lower control arms and replaced the bushings on the upper control arm. The ball joints on the lower control arm had a lot of play and the bushings were worn out. The upper control arm seemed okay but I figured since I was in there I might as well switch them out with some polyurethane bushings. However, after I finished the job and took the car to get an alignment the steering wheel jerks and causes the entire body of the car to shift while accelerating. When I accelerate it shifts the entire car left and as soon as I let off of the accelerator it seems to correct itself and then jerk back right.

Any thoughts? It's not definitely not a fun experience. Tonight/tomorrow I'm going to get under there again once I finish work to check everything.

Joe/EUSup

·
iSPOOL
1,382 Posts
How are your tires?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tires seem okay. Plenty of thread, even wear. But I have considered changing them out as the car sat on them while I was deployed overseas (10 months).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like it's caster related of you have a bad tie rod bushing.
I'll take a look at the tie rod bushing. Do you know of a way to test it? Just look for play? I'm learning as I go when it comes to suspension.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
What signalpuke said.

I doubt its alignement related, but i have seen some sloppy alignement work through the years, you can upload a picture of the alignement paper here if you want and we can rule that out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What signalpuke said.

I doubt its alignement related, but i have seen some sloppy alignement work through the years, you can upload a picture of the alignement paper here if you want and we can rule that out.
That's a good idea. When I got the alignment done I asked for the printed copy but they said the printer wasn't working. I might go back and ask them to check again.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Check for breaks or leaks in the rubber bushing. Jack up the front end and check the rod for play, it shouldn't move. Basically grab the rod and shake it. If it moves, replace it.
I'll check on that tonight. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Check for breaks or leaks in the rubber bushing. Jack up the front end and check the rod for play, it shouldn't move. Basically grab the rod and shake it. If it moves, replace it.
I jacked up the front end on both sides and everything seemed okay. I yanked on the tie rod and it seemed pretty firm. I am going to go by the alignment place and see if they can take another look.

·
Registered
480 Posts
They might have a record of your alignment on their computer, ask them if they can email it to you. If they don't, then when you go back, take a picture of the computer screen with the results.
When you have steering change with throttle input, it's usually either toe related or caster related (although less likely). Really shouldn't get much at all if you have power steering. I've only experienced it with a failing tie rod in a FWD car with no power steering, setup with some toe out so launches would be closer to 0 and not in. That car was all over the place depending on throttle input.

Are the lower arms adjustable?
Were the poly bushes well lubed?
Might be a binding bush. No idea, just throwing out ideas.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They might have a record of your alignment on their computer, ask them if they can email it to you. If they don't, then when you go back, take a picture of the computer screen with the results.
When you have steering change with throttle input, it's usually either toe related or caster related (although less likely). Really shouldn't get much at all if you have power steering. I've only experienced it with a failing tie rod in a FWD car with no power steering, setup with some toe out so launches would be closer to 0 and not in. That car was all over the place depending on throttle input.

Are the lower arms adjustable?
Were the poly bushes well lubed?
Might be a binding bush. No idea, just throwing out ideas.
I went underneath the car and torqued down all of the parts related to the front suspension to spec. The self-service shop I go to has experienced mechanics on location to provide input. The front to wheels have a small amount of side to side movement but the two mechanics that were helping me said they couldn't figure out what was the cause because everything seemed tight. We then moved to the back wheels and the back-left tire has a lot of movement from side to side. The issue seems to be in the strut rod bushing. Once they saw that rear strut rod bushing they said that was the issue. Seems strange to me that the issue would arise so suddenly but it definitely needs to be replaced.

I also went back to the alignment shop and they 'of course' claimed it not to be the alignment and instead pointed the finger at weakening engine mounts and old bushings. I might take it to a more reputable shop and get another alignment done.

-Lower control arms are not adjustable. OEM.
-Poly bushes were very lubed. I was worried I used too much lube actually. 😂

Thank you for taking the time to read. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
480 Posts
There shouldn't be much slop in any of the wheels, whether toe or camber when shaking them. In the OP you mentioned that the car wants to turn left when getting on the power. If the rear left has a lot of play, I would think it would toe out under power, and that would lead to turning right.
When you raise the car up, try shaking the tires from the top and bottom, see if you have any play in that direction (camber). If you do, then your wheel bearings are shot.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There shouldn't be much slop in any of the wheels, whether toe or camber when shaking them. In the OP you mentioned that the car wants to turn left when getting on the power. If the rear left has a lot of play, I would think it would toe out under power, and that would lead to turning right.
When you raise the car up, try shaking the tires from the top and bottom, see if you have any play in that direction (camber). If you do, then your wheel bearings are shot.
None of the wheels have any top to bottom play from what I can tell. The front two wheels go side to side a bit and then the back left tire moves a lot. I'll post videos of each here in a bit.

·
Super Moderator
10,115 Posts
I'd also inspect the steering rack bushings themselves. They can weaken with time in such a way that they seem fine and stiff to the usual push-pull inspections by hand, but under road force they can give unpredictably. It would be unusual for rack bushings to only be a problem under accel/decel, usually rack bushings would cause random bumpsteer issues and other inconsistencies especially on rough pavement. But considering what you've already checked and found nothing, it merits a look.

Reactions: thadius

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Maybe your steering rack has issues. Def need to sort out that back left tire.
See YouTube video below.

The order of the video is:
-front left tire
-behind front left tire
-back left tire
-behind back left tire
-front right tire
-behind front right tire
-back right tire
-behind back right tire
-rear drive shaft (found play)

Now that I see it on video I am definitely seeing it more clearly. Really anxious to get your thoughts. Thanks again.

EUSUP

·
Registered
480 Posts
Front Right wheel bearing is shot. Rack probably has a lot of slop and needs a refresh. Might as well replace the tie rods while you're at it. Rear end is all over the place, I'd replace all the bushings. Basically replace all the rubber you can in the suspension, and go from there.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts