Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm fairly new on here and I've tired to search around but can't find a direct thread that can answer my questions.
I'm looking at purchasing my first MKIV Supra. Since I'm in Canada, we can get the Non-turbo automatic 1994+ supras for around 10k.
Now I'm not new to cars and have played with Honda's mainly, but how difficult is a automatic to manual swap on the MKIV?

Also, the factory motor that comes with the base supra's...would it be worth pulling it, giving it a slight rebuild and do a single turbo setup? or should I look into a motor from a turbo supra?

Thank you
bart

·
Registered
433 Posts
I can tell you that you def. did not search more than 10 seconds. There are many direct threads on both questions. But I'll give you some cliffs on both.

The difficulty of the tranny swap depends your definition of the word, your mechanical abilities, and your wallet.

The NA motor has the same block, different head. You can single it (NA-T) with good results, any lower end exept for VVTi (1998 only) is good for 500+ whp with a thicker HG. Or you can throw TT internals and a TT head/ECU on it and have a TT motor.

Like I said those are very broad answers but if you look around you will see many many threads on both.

GL with whatever you choose to do.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can tell you that you def. did not search more than 10 seconds. There are many direct threads on both questions. But I'll give you some cliffs on both.

The difficulty of the tranny swap depends your definition of the word, your mechanical abilities, and your wallet.

The NA motor has the same block, different head. You can single it (NA-T) with good results, any lower end exept for VVTi (1998 only) is good for 500+ whp with a thicker HG. Or you can throw TT internals and a TT head/ECU on it and have a TT motor.

Like I said those are very broad answers but if you look around you will see many many threads on both.

GL with whatever you choose to do.

My mistake, I was searching the whole forum itself and not the MKIV section only.
Found a few threads that have some good info in it.

But yea, I'm fairly competent with cars and mechanics so I'm not worried about the labor. I just need to research and find out exactly what I need to buy a piece together.

I was going to purchase a Nissan 300zx fairlady body and put a TT swap into that, but with the way the engine bay is so tight with the V6 motor, it's too much of a hassle.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I am going to tell you straight up before you get flamed for asking the most repetitive question on this forum....

If you want a turbo Supra, buy a Twin Turbo Supra from the start. You will spend more money on trying to make a NA supra turbo than you would if you just bought a TT Supra from the beginning.

For example, just to put a 6spd transmission in the automatic car you are thinking about getting will cost you around $10k depending if you buy new or used parts. (I paid $5k just to replace my 6spd transmission 2 years ago). Just something to think about....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts