Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am looking for a set of coil over. And, I am considering the HKS HiperMax Performers Coilovers and Tien's Comfort Series. Anyone actually has it installed? How is it? Any comments would be appricated.

What setting and spring rate would be good for comfort and track? I know they don't go together. But, I want sth that can preform both cause my car also goes around SF and the roads are not as smooth... very bumpy instead. Thx,

·
TRACK CAR
1,432 Posts
I don't have either of those setups but I do run the Tein HA's and really like them. On their softest setting they are good on the street and when you crank them up they are very stiff for the roadcourse. Pretty happy with them if that does anything for you.

·
Senior Spooler
1,206 Posts
I know a few people running the CS and love them for the street. They also use the EDFC.
HKS I don't know anyone with them but Dusty could guide you. (MVP) Try the roadrace section where guys have tried many different setups.

·
Not compensating at all
185 Posts
I'm running the HKS drag setup and i'm pretty pleased great on the street and track(I know their not Performers but...)

M

·
0 Posts
Performers here- what do you need to know? It's been 4 months, you probably made your decision by now.

·
« f ï z z | ë »
761 Posts
for searching's/archive sake...

i have the tein cs coilovers. it took me forever to find someone for a review. bill p here in the forums is the only other person here that i know of that has them. for tiny pics, click my sig. the pic in my sig is almost at it lowest setting. anyways, here's what bill p told me before i got them. hope he doesn't mind my copy-pasting this.
The ride quality with CS's is pretty hard to beat. It is stiffer than the old Eibachs I used to run but not as jarring over bumps. On the softest setting, which is too soft for my taste, the car rides like a luxury vehicle. On the stiffest it handles much more aggressively but not as stiff as TEIN HA's which can loosen your fillings at my age. They handle just fine on spirited mountain runs or on a road course, but if you are a hard core road racer you would want stiffer springs. TIEN makes a huge range of stiffer for the CS coilovers, more than any of their other brands last time I checked. Handling wise I would pick up a nice set of swaybars if you haven't already. They make a hell of a difference.

Their are 16 dampening setting on the CS's or 32 settings if you run an EDFC. I normally drive around at a setting of 10 up front and 8 in the rear on my EDFC which is nice to have but not really needed.

Ride height is adjustable from aprox 1" higher and 2" lower than stock. (stock is aprx 355 cm from top of fender to center of wheel.) When I first installed my CS's I dropped ride height down 1 inch but returned it to almost stock height after visiting a road course a few times. So if I send you a pic of the car it would just look like stock height. Over all I love my CS's and they are perfect for my driving style.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MyCarIsSlow said:
Performers here- what do you need to know? It's been 4 months, you probably made your decision by now.
Hey,

I made up my mind and ordered the performers. I just recieved the suspension last month and I just have it installed. I am trying to find the right setting. What's yours?

I am still in a testing stage. It still get lower after some driving. I was aiming 13 inch (from center of the wheel to fender) front and 14 on the rear. The damper is set to 20 ( 30 being stiff). With the TRD big swaybar, it handle pretty responsive and the ride is similar to stock. But, its a little too soft when I run on freeway. I haven't touch the setting on springs (just only adjust the height from the body itself). Please let me know your setting and any input to tune the suspension properly. Thanks a bunch :)

·
OG
1,059 Posts
HAd I seen this thread earlier, I would have asked the obvious question that I've not seen asked.. what doyouwant your suspension to accomplish? How do you use your car? The answers to these questions should guide the purchase and the setup.

Cheers
Rich B.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rich B said:
HAd I seen this thread earlier, I would have asked the obvious question that I've not seen asked.. what doyouwant your suspension to accomplish? How do you use your car? The answers to these questions should guide the purchase and the setup.

Cheers
Rich B.
Rich B,

As my 1st post mentioned, "What setting and spring rate would be good for comfort and track? I know they don't go together. But, I want sth that can preform both cause my car also goes around SF and the roads are not as smooth... very bumpy instead." I was looking into one setup which can bring me 2 diff. settings in extreme? Mostly on bumpy road but do plan on running course/circuit in the future.

-Alan

·
Registered
856 Posts
Alan,

What made you decide on the Performers? I'm in a similar situation shopping for coilovers. Initially I was going to purchase the JIC FLT-A2s but it seems that they are 1) noisy on the street, 2) customer service isn't a top priority for JIC-USA.

The spring rates seem similar on the Tein CS and the HKS Performers, with the HKS being a bit stiffer but about $400 more than the Tein. Was there any particular reason why you went with the HKS?

Thanks,
-Brian.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Brian,

Its been tough for me to shop a set with some tight budget. My very first thing in mind are those Tein CS with those electronic valve conrtoller. But, I've heard alot of unfortunate Tein owners. Some Supra owners complained that those Tein shocks leak even just sitting in the garage for months. Also, there is also huge Tien sets in 2nd hand market over Japan.... that tells me those are not good spec. or quality. If they are good quality OR they make the ride good, people would have loved them.

I believe the JIC is ~$200 less than the performers. But, as you said, JIC has its own draw back. For that extra $200, I would have the performers (which is height adjustable w/o compressing the springs). Why not? Compare to a decent set of coil-over, $200 is just 1/10 of the total cost.

However, I cannot yet able to tell you how good the performers YET. Its because I am still in the tuning stage. My previous setting gave me excellent stock comfort feeling with afrermarket cornering and smooth freeway ride. But, its too low for me to go over the huge bump around my area.

As you may see from the description about those Performer. The unique thing is that you can adjust the height w/o compressing the springs. So, you have more adjustment to play with. Thats what motivated me to pick them up. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts