Supra Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Garage Queen Club
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Debating on where to go with this, but have been contemplating selling my MKIV of 18 years since

a) I rarely drive it - busy life, busy driving my other car for sport
b) parts are hard to come by (windshields, general body parts, etc) - afraid of incurring damage
c) not sure I'm ready to sell given market uncertainty and if these will continue to gain value

I had a plan to get it road coarse-ready and take it to the track regularly, but (b) is making me worried.

Those of you who have rare cars and regularly abuse them, what's the recourse for sourcing replacement parts when they are difficult to find? I wouldn't want to have a cracked windshield only to not be able to ever drive the car because windshields are no longer available (or, insert_another_important_unavailable_part_here). I see a few of you still doing 1/4 mile with these and enjoying it. How do you stomach it?

Anytime I drive the car on the street I feel a sense of guilt which is not the way to own these things.
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Hood

·
97 HARD TOP
1,608 Posts
I drive mine like I stole it everytime lol. These days most can't afford one and I'm lucky enough to have 2 of them. Parts aren't that hard to come by. Body parts and glass I look over seas first since there are so many rhd ones being parted out these days. I also pull every 2j motor I can get my hands on regardless if it's gte or ge for future use. I have a fully caged, chute, fuel cell, drag radials, ect supra that I still take out on the road for the hell of it. I didn't buy my rare car to store it for years for the next guy nor have I ever looked at it that way.

·
Garage Queen Club
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
58 Posts
Parts are available via here, fb, ebay etc, you can find almost anything you need (Obviously you have to pay to play). Usually a quick spirited drive will change my mind on whether I want to keep the car or not lol.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Dre,

I contemplate selling often, and your exact sentiments are mine. I unfortunately only enjoy driving my Supra on early mornings or to small car shows bc of other drivers. Other than that, it’s parked 95% of the year. Weirdly, I’ve kept it like a weak G-fund investment as there’s still value in a hardtop.

While I concur with what RadRide said regarding sales, your RSP still has a market more than a few of us… yours wouldn’t be hard to sell. I’d say if you have the room to hold it and no financial issues—just hold unless a life event forces. Can’t say I’d truly mod and race an original RSP.

I know this didn’t pertain to (b), but thought it was worth addressing for (a) & (c).

Good luck

·
Administrator
11,380 Posts
its a short lived thought in your head that just wants to see the conversation through...you own the car right i'm willing to bet, it owes you nothing. Most all parts can be found despite discontinuation. Its not as bad as it seems. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
You own these cars long enough and thoughts of selling is only natural.

I would never sell based on worrying about parts or something getting damaged. No offense but that is a miserable way too live. Equivalent to not leaving your house because crazy mofo's are among us.

GL with your decision:cool:

·
Garage Queen Club
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No need to sell, I own it outright. It's the parts availability that has me most worried and keeping me from enjoying it at the track. I posted this thread as a hope of convincing myself on what to do :)

·
Registered
1993 JDM 5spd SZ hardtop in 202 blek.
605 Posts
Heritage program is a bit of a farce though. 'Most' of the parts on that list weren't even discontinued in the first instance. Toyota have realized they can make an extra buck by transferring readily existing parts to the heritage program where now you have to pay a premium for it.

There are more parts available for the 200 odd people out there with 2000GT's than for the Supra.

·
Super Moderator
1,889 Posts
Does anyone sometimes feel like selling because you can’t stand driving this type of car to a parking lot and coming back 20 minutes later? I get really on edge parking my car because I feel like the rarity will draw attention
That's what the daily driver is for. So you don't have to worry. Or if it is a last minute shopping thing I drop off the wife and wait in the car for her.

I have been seriously thinking about selling the car though as there are other toys I would like to try. I do know if I sell it it I won't be getting random "is that a Supra?" lines from people anymore.

·
In The Sonoran Desert
609 Posts
Does anyone sometimes feel like selling because you can’t stand driving this type of car to a parking lot and coming back 20 minutes later? I get really on edge parking my car because I feel like the rarity will draw attention
yes, I do. I recall years ago when I drove it to Columbia Mall just to run in to get something. I came back and saw this guy milling around, near it but not near it if you know what I mean, He was on the phone. when I got into it he hung up the phone and walked away. You have to understand, columbia mall was known for car thieves because it was like 5 minutes from i-95. To this day I am convinced he was arranging for its "removal"

·
Registered
273 Posts
Given that the expectation is that the economy is going to continue to go down money in hand is a good move if you intend to use the capital. That said I think RSP Supras at the very least will hold value better due to desirability/rarity.

That said personally there’s a priceless joy of driving a Supra which makes me irrational. Everything else be damned. In terms of parts I feel like the community has done a good job of reproducing essential parts. Seems like the dash panels are starting to be produced by quite a few for one.

I’m in the market for an RSP if you decide to potentially sell I’d be interested.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Anytime I drive the car on the street I feel a sense of guilt which is not the way to own these things.
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Hood
Nah, you don't need the money, you're not really driving it all the time, so risk of body work is minimal.
Drive it more often and think about it more.
Insurance solves a lot of questions.
I have a great deal of fun in my daily 996, and insurance and maintenace for it are cheaper than the Supra, so the Supra is on the back burner.
Both are going up in value, so it's a win-win.

·
Wheel Whore
4,886 Posts
With money you have it, and then you don’t. A MKIV once you sell it, it will always be on your mind. Then you might turn into the “I used to be a MKIV owner” guy whenever you try other cars or talk to other car people. Then eventually you’ll look at the market again and see that there is no slow down in value. Then you might be in denial with regret. You will realize how special it was. This was me. Currently rediscovering the passion in my current MKIV by redoing everything. Hoping to keep it forever.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Well, aftermarket replacement windshields are plentiful - I think it's the rear glass that's hard to come by. If you don't enjoy the car anymore, plenty of people certainly will but I don't know anybody who has sold an Mk4 and doesn't regret it in some fashion. I was one of those people for years

Reactions: Rhetttech
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.