Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does the MKIV TT handle compared to other cars such as: Integra GSR, Integra Type R?, C5/C6 corvette, mustang. I use to own a 95 GSR (ground control coilover) and it feels like the GSR handles better. Or do I just have to get use to driving a rear wheel car. When I drive the supra, feels like the rear end seems to want to stick out when I take it on turns.

My MKIV TT are stock suspension

·
Premium Member
7,335 Posts
Handling and drivetrain layouts are touchy subjects. Except for the Corvette, the handling of the cars you've mentioned can't compare to the MKIV. As far as getting used to the handling, you're going to have to get used to driving a FR car.

For example, the Viper and the NSX are both great handling cars that take serious getting used to. The better the handling gets, the more important it is to enter and exit corners properly for it to matter, instead of using good handling as a crutch to keep traction. Try getting used to cornering with little to no throttle to get an idea for how the car moves through the turn before you start going through with power.

Keep in mind, you're dealing with phenomenal mid-range torque (a word foreign to the Honda tongue), so the change from under to oversteer will be a great one.

·
Banned
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess im just not use to driving a rear wheel car. It feels like to a point, the rear end just sticks out. Driving in the rain I get pretty scared, not that i push the car hard around corners during the rain, but how im use to driving my integra in the rain, and know its limit in the rain.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
it handles great, i cant really compare to most of those cars as ive driven a 00' viper gts, and a c5 vette, and my car handles up to parr if not better than those cars. just dont give er' too much gas coming through a turn or youll be in a full 1080 before you even know it.

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
Please don't compare a Supra to a front-drive Integra. :(

An Integra will handle better on an autox course due to light weight and a very quick steering ratio.

The Supra has a superior suspension design to any Integra. Also, the FR drivetrain layout will make it superior on the road course.

If you push the Supra hard in a corner it will tend to power oversteer. An Integra will tend to understeer (at comparable throttle).

I've driven both on street and track. They are completely different cars. Comparing them is ... pointless.

S

·
0 Posts
stock for stock, the Supra would own the Integra. But like said above, they are two completely different cars with different advantages / disadvantages.

·
Premium Member
7,335 Posts
-SuPrA sInGh- said:
just dont give er' too much gas coming through a turn or youll be in a full 1080 before you even know it.
That's three full circles, you know? :lol:
Not to be a smartass, but I'm just imagning someone on a road course oversteering and then just giving up and doing three donuts for fun.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Spotabee Racing said:
stock for stock, the Supra would own the Integra. But like said above, they are two completely different cars with different advantages / disadvantages.

I dont agree with that at all unless you are taliking straight lines gentle curves.

I have driven both cars on tracks here in the UK and teh DC5 is a hell of alot morenimble than the Sup. Lets face it guys the Supra is early 1990's technology, al beit over engineered and teh DC5 is latest gen setup.

Don't get me wrong ill always own a Supe!

·
ur moms favourite
1,405 Posts
The supra is a pretty tight setup, but saying it will own a dc5 integra is rubbish. Those things do handle extremely well for a fwd car and in many (not all) cases will out corner a supra (stock for stock).

That said, your supra should feel very stable and predictable on bends and should not make you uneasy, I think you might want to get an alignment done on yours (to the Lance specs @ mkiv.com). Alignment is everything ;)

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Alignment and correct tire and wheel sizing make a huge difference. IMO, people running some of the standard commercially recommended "Supra fitment" just make their car handle worse than stock.

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
Jay-450 said:
Lets face it guys the Supra is early 1990's technology, al beit over engineered and teh DC5 is latest gen setup.
the DC5 suspension is inferior to the Supra's design in every way. Please go do some research before you post stuff like this.

Nimble != better handling on the track. An FR platform has superior dynamics to FF.

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
gmacrae said:
Those things do handle extremely well for a fwd car and in many (not all) cases will out corner a supra (stock for stock).
1. The DC5R never came to the US, so he's talking DC2R (which has a better suspension design anyway).

2. It will outhandle a Supra in the short term on a tight road course or autox. However, if you run them for more laps on a less tight course and the FF Integras will likely eat through their front tires while the Supra runs strong. FR or MR is superior due to the traction circle.

I've seen several AWD/FF cars chew through front tires trying to keep up with the Supra on track.

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
My supra felt like a boat compared to my s2000.................s2000 is more fun to drive in every aspect besides straight line performance! How you came to the conclussion a GSR handles better than a supra is beyond me though..............

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
You can not compare a FR to an FF. There just too different imo. My Celica was built for autocross and it handled amazingly. I had full suspension on it. Tien SS coilovers, upper and lower, front and rear braces. 3 point TRD brace in the upper rear. It was like a train on tracks. I would walk all over Integra's at the autocross like they were nothing. Leaving them behind in the apex.

Then I had the MR2 which as you know is a MR. I didn’t have a chance to modify the suspension on that car but even at stock it was very good in the apex and handling. I loved it. Only can imagine what it could have done with a modified suspension.

Now let’s talk about the Supra and other FR in its class in terms of handling characteristics. The Supra is by far the worst handling car I have owned be sides the Camry. But that doesn’t mean it can’t take the apex. I am sure you have seen in those Japanese best motoring videos what a modified Supra can do when you upgrade its suspension. It can be a monster track car with power in the straight line and handling as well. But to accomplish this, you must modify the lousy stock suspension and it will turn in to a GREAT handling car! I plan on going with some HKS coilovers soon.

I have ridden in my buddy’s 2002 Z06 and I think the car handles like crap. I am sorry to say this and I know I will be attacked for saying it, but it’s the truth. In the turns I get very scared for my life in that car as I can feel the chasse sway and bend very easy. I am not sure if that due to the body’s fiberglass or what, but it is scary. The only reason I see for people saying it is a great handling car is because they compare it to all the other American garbage cars that can not take a turn with out flipping over. Sorry to be so hard but this is how I feel after riding in it.

As for the best FR handling car?!? In my eyes, there is no other car that can handle like the 3rd gen RX7! What an amazing 50/50 weight distribution machine it is. I mean my cousins RX7’s suspension is completely stock oem and it is the best handling car I have ever been in. I just can’t wait to see what that car can do with a modified suspension! Not only does the car handle so great, but the 1.3 liter rotor motor can make some serous power in that light FR car. When he is taking the apex of a turn, he is literally smashing the gas while in the turn. No kick out or spin, the car just takes it like the champ it is.

The RX7 is the winner I think.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts