Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I ordered a front bumper from east coast auto parts and it got it VERY cheaply- $120 shipped and they told me it was urethane. I knew it was a stock mold bumper so I just thinking they meant the sort of flexible plastic material that the OEM bumpers are made of. Well it arrived and sure enough.... it's solid urethane. It doesn't have the foam or a lot of the OEM trim you'd have with an OEM bumper. It's actually an aftermarket urethane stock mold MKIV front end :1poke:. I was stoked as hell about this as I have a urethane front on my sebring after trashing my factory one, and after about 2 years of beating the shit out of it on phoenix roads it still looks new! But has anyone heard of an OEM mold aftermarket urethane front? Who makes it?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yep it's a totally OEM mold- but it's solid urethane

·
Registered
13,584 Posts
Did you try the fitment yet? How does it fit up with the hood and fender lines?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
flawlessly- tried it on another car so once my full restoration is done (who knows when that'll happen with VSOP) I'll post pics. So I take it NOBODY has heard of an aftermarket company making OEM mold urethane bumpers? Wierd... I searched all over google and couldn't find anything. It was bought off of http://www.eastcoastautoparts.com on their ebay listings. Did I manage to pick up a one off for insanely cheap? Again this is definitely aftermarket urethane- I can twist it in half and it flexes right back to origional shape immediately and there's NO WAY this will ever crack

·
Registered
104 Posts
You said it was a Factory Mold, is it a 93.5-96 Factory Mold or a 97-98 Factory Mold. I don't think that 93.5-96 mold could hold the Factory Front bumper Turn Signals. If that is a Real Urethane Front bumper that fits as well as the stock one, it's a REALLY GOOD deal for that price. I don't think the stock front bumper is 100% Urethane. As I was backing out of my garage not long ago, my front bumper scraped on my Boats Trailer Hitch, Thankfully, that's the worst thing that's happened to my car since I bought it new in Late 98. Anyway, I decided to go ahead and replace the bumper, because it looked like it was fiberglass because of the way it cracked. Although I don't think it's actually Fiberglass but I don't think it's Urethane either, the truth is, I don't know, does anybody know for certain?
John H.
1998 SupraTurbo 6speed PowerHouseRacing Full build to Stage 2+ by Jarrett H. Who did a GREAT job. GT67DBB Turbocharger, I also have a GT60DBB That I haven't installed yet, It's just another turbo option for the setup Jarrett installed, I bought it in case I felt the GT67 was too laggy for certain road racing courses, Since I got it back from Jarrett I had a AEM EMS and 3.4L Stroker kit installed, among other mods, which helped out with lag and also why I still have the GT67 installed, pics of my car are in PHR's Gallery under "John Hand".)

·
feeding your habit
4,015 Posts
stock bumper is urethane, just checked mine.

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
for all the guys that must know,

The OEM bumpers are thermoset polyurethane, if you look inside the bumper below right side marker, it clearly says :"PUR" ,which stands for thermoset polyurethane
Same goes for the front lip, it's different color but same type of plastic,if you look inside the lip on left side ,it says >PUR<

Stefan

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
You said it was a Factory Mold, is it a 93.5-96 Factory Mold or a 97-98 Factory Mold. I don't think that 93.5-96 mold could hold the Factory Front bumper Turn Signals.
John H.
all you have to do is drill one more hole and you can install the 97-98 turn signals in 93-96 bumper, the only difference between 93-96 and 97-97 bumpers are few holes for the center bar in the middle of the large opening and holes for the turn signals, some may have holes drilled for the front tag

·
ESE CULO
2,962 Posts
Wow only 120? Only on ebay? I'm assuming since it's poly it should be a better bumper than the original oem right? I need a new bumper as mine is full of tiny dents.

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
Wow only 120? Only on ebay? I'm assuming since it's poly it should be a better bumper than the original oem right? I need a new bumper as mine is full of tiny dents.
LOL, there is no other bumper better than OEM, the cheap aftermarket parts are what they are,

new OEM bumper cover retails for $311.88, I think Curt can sell you one for just a bit over $200, I know I had to buy one for a customer last month and paid $218.32 at local Toyota dealership
Stefan

·
Registered
104 Posts
LOL, there is no other bumper better than OEM, the cheap aftermarket parts are what they are,

new OEM bumper cover retails for $311.88, I think Curt can sell you one for just a bit over $200, I know I had to buy one for a customer last month and paid $218.32 at local Toyota dealership
Stefan

Definitely, as far as body parts go, nothing beats OEM. My first Supra was a very low mileage used 95TT 6spd, I had the great Idea to take off my OEM Bumper and purchase a Veilside front bumper(I was 16 at the time) before you think I'm just plain stupid), I didn't put the entire kit on, just the front bumper. Despite the MANY hours spent getting it to fit It looked ok from a distance, but, up close you could tell that the fit wasn't even close to stock, I eventually took it off and bought a new OEM front bumper, Not long after that I totalled it, my 95TT6spd that is. The only body kit I would consider putting on my car is the TRD 3000GT Wide Body Kit, because the few I've seen fit VERY well, I was considering a seibon CF TR Style Hood, first off to help keep that New Turbo and the engine bay as cool as possible, the vents are the same configuration as the TRD Hood. I've decided when my cars buildup:part 2 is done, (BTW, I took the advice that most of you guys said was a good idea, I went from a piggyback to the AEM EMS. Whenever, I got everything the way I want it on the car I think I'll buy a TRD Hood and then have the car re-painted the same color it is now, but, a better paintjob than stock, That's one thing, that if the right place does it and does it right, that an aftermarket paintjob can definitely be better than OEM.
John
98Supra Turbo 6spd PHR Built, Turbo:GT67DBB

1 - 19 of 19 Posts