Supra Forums banner

61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,384 Posts
I love your Anthracite JDM hardtop - that's a nice car!

And it deserves better than fake TE37's with the wrong offsets that make too-skinny tires mandatory. Believe me, I understand that budget is a thing which is why it took me 11 years to finish my own NA-TT/V160 swap in my own MK4. But if you're going to opt for lower cost wheels, I'd recommend avoiding blatant clones of other high end wheels, especially TE37's. I can't help but despise TE37 copies no matter the brand or the car they're on.

·
Blue Thunder
3,604 Posts
So what the concensus is that we should keep rocking OG wheels? Still love my Volk GT-7s. My second set. 19x9.5 and 19x10.5 don't know the offsets had to swap the faces front to rear because they stuck out WAY to much.

Really want to paint the faces gun metal but I'm told that chrome Volks are rare?

Attachments

Reactions: Wreckless

·
Super Moderator
10,585 Posts
So what the concensus is that we should keep rocking OG wheels?
Yes, most definitely! Period-correct stuff looks best on our cars, IMO. Great looking Volks. Didn't know they came in 19s or the 10.5-inch width.

Ken.

·
Blue Thunder
3,604 Posts
Yes, most definitely! Period-correct stuff looks best on our cars, IMO. Great looking Volks. Didn't know they came in 19s or the 10.5-inch width.

Ken.
Ken,

This is my second set of 19in GT-7s. They even made them in 20x9.5 and 20x10.5 !

Supra fitment Volk Wheels:

19in GT-7s seem to have not been Supra fitment though. Mine came off a 350z, and i still had to change the faces. I also cut and sealed my rear fenders years ago.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
thank you very much for that website. ive been needing to refinish 2 of my wheels. maybe they can help me out.

·
Blue Thunder
3,604 Posts
thank you very much for that website. ive been needing to refinish 2 of my wheels. maybe they can help me out.
You are welcome. I need new hardware too. Mine are rusting. Ugh !
GT-7's for life !!! LOL

Reactions: supralover93

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
mine were repaired many years ago and instead of anodizing the barrel they polished them. the other 2 still look new like the day i bought them but these 2 are hazy. one also has a leak i'm guessing from the valve stem seal but after 115 years i guess its time for some maintenance haha.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have the drag setup of the RT-S S77's. Love the wheels. I was thinking of getting the matching 18's for the rear Real St. has for a full set of cruising wheels so I can ditch the drag slick sometimes. I don't see any examples of people doing this. Is there a reason why? I see its a 10.5" wide wheel so I would imagine I could fit a 305 on the rear? What am I missing?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I agree with the classic wheel look. I haven't put them on yet, but I have a set of Blitz Technospeed Z1 in 18x9 +41 and 18x10 +45 that will be ready to go one day, after a little repair work on two of the barrels and hopefully a respray on my 94TT. I found them used from a seller on IG in 2018. Not everyone's cup of tea, but the wheels I always wanted way back when I was dreaming of owning a Supra. Pics of the day they arrived, then went back in a box, where they've been ever since.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,585 Posts
Definitely digging those Technospeed Z1s. Looked for a set for years to no avail.

Ken.

Reactions: $9ktt and FasTTurbo

·
Registered
267 Posts
I’m wearing old school 18” SSR Decolte Evos. (inspired by Steve Jarvis back in the day). I want to keep them. They were special ordered for our offset. But they seem to be very fragile and I need 4 new barrels!

·
From the land down under
4,393 Posts
I agree with Wreckless in regard to it being better to keep saving up, in order to buy the original version of such an iconic wheel like the TE37. They are so often imitated by the knock off factories in China, but never look quite as good.

When I bought my car almost 15 years ago, like everybody, the first thing I wanted to do was get new wheels on it, so over the first couple of years that I owned it, I went and tried many types of cheap wheels on the car at wheel/tyre stores, but none of them looked "right" and so I told myself that instead of buying some cheap Chinese cast alternatives, I would just keep saving up until I could afford a set of Volks when they popped up, and keep rolling on the stock wheels until then.

About 2 years later, a set of CE28N's popped up in staggered 8.5/9.5 +40 firment, with not a single mark on them. They just needed a week of careful detailing to remove the brake dust that had sadly been left on them, but after that was done, they looked brand new, and I was so happy that I had been patient enough to wait for the right set to appear.

About a year later, I also stumbled across another set of Volk's, this time the TE37 in the same sizes, that I had my track slicks fitted too, so I could swap wheels at the track and not destroy my road tyres.

When it comes to things like this, I honestly believe in the saying that patience is a virture

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
I agree. Where's are one thing I can not cheap out on. I saved up for months and when the gt7s came out I knew I had to have them.

·
Super Moderator
10,384 Posts
I agree with Wreckless in regard to it being better to keep saving up, in order to buy the original version of such an iconic wheel like the TE37. They are so often imitated by the knock off factories in China, but never look quite as good.

When I bought my car almost 15 years ago, like everybody, the first thing I wanted to do was get new wheels on it, so over the first couple of years that I owned it, I went and tried many types of cheap wheels on the car at wheel/tyre stores, but none of them looked "right" and so I told myself that instead of buying some cheap Chinese cast alternatives, I would just keep saving up until I could afford a set of Volks when they popped up, and keep rolling on the stock wheels until then.

About 2 years later, a set of CE28N's popped up in staggered 8.5/9.5 +40 firment, with not a single mark on them. They just needed a week of careful detailing to remove the brake dust that had sadly been left on them, but after that was done, they looked brand new, and I was so happy that I had been patient enough to wait for the right set to appear.

About a year later, I also stumbled across another set of Volk's, this time the TE37 in the same sizes, that I had my track slicks fitted too, so I could swap wheels at the track and not destroy my road tyres.

When it comes to things like this, I honestly believe in the saying that patience is a virture
^Absolutely 100% correct.

But I'd make a distinction about that second sentence of yours; 'looking right' is one thing. Performing to the standard is absolutely another.
Chinese made copies are heavier, weaker, and they way those cheap cast wheels fail is by completely shattering.

Rays Engineering have some of the most insane aluminum forging equipment anywhere in the world. The light weight, strength, and rigidity combined with a failure tendency to bend instead of crack or shatter is absolutely priceless when it comes to a properly sorted high performance wheel.

I know that the trend is to push for wider wheels with more tire, and for the JZA80 that begins and ends with the bespoke fitment 18x9.5+40 and 18x10.5+45 TE37's when it comes to semi-wide wheels and current availability. Everyone else is relegated to 3-pc wheels which look fantastic but sacrifice light weight to achieve perfect fitment.

That said, there are some companies that make a very good cast wheel (Enkei, for one) that can come close to matching the performance of a forged wheel. The flipside is that matching the correct widths and offsets for a JZA80 is challenging at best, and most wheels offered come in a 9.5in width at best with Supra-friendly offsets.

I’m wearing old school 18” SSR Decolte Evos. (inspired by Steve Jarvis back in the day). I want to keep them. They were special ordered for our offset. But they seem to be very fragile and I need 4 new barrels!
The great thing about SSR's is that new lips and barrels are available. VRwheels, Threepiece.us, and several others.

But bear in mind that it'd be unfair to call them fragile - Aluminum's modulus and ability to flex/bend gets worse over time and with heat cycling. This is a simple basic truth of the physical properties of aluminum, which is why military aircraft often need new wings after X-hours of flight time etc. So generally speaking, as wheels are used (mileage/hours) the aluminum will get more brittle and therefore more prone to cracks/etc and there's nothing that can be done to really change that.

But the good news there is that new quality 6061 AL barrels or lips for your badass vintage SSR's will last another 10-20 years without issue. :)

·
Super Moderator
10,585 Posts
Also looked for Decolte Evolutions for a long time to no avail for my MKIII. @suprajake, to the best of your knowledge, are the Decolte Evos BBK compatible?

Ken.

Reactions: FasTTurbo

·
Super Moderator
10,585 Posts
@IMAGINETHAT, Len, you still have SF's finest looking Baltic Blue Supra. I get all tingly inside every time I see pics of your car.

Ken.

·
Super Moderator
10,585 Posts
View attachment 253206 Backs are on. So far no rubbing with 285/35 and stock fenders.
Chip,

I never saw your pics until I recently came back to this thread. Was not receiving notifications when you posted but, magically, I began receiving them of late. Wow! After all these years, my brother took the plunge! Like you going APU all those years ago, it does strike me that "good things come to those who wait". GREAT addition to the car, my friend.

Ken.

61 - 80 of 93 Posts