Supra Forums banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Well yesterday morning the Supra did not start but lucky it was parked in the garage. Right away I noticed I did not hear the fuel pump prime when the key was first turned so I started to diagnose it. Found the fuse I added for the fuel pump was blown. Tested the wiring, had to drop the tank and found a bad factory rivet connection/factory wiring on the positive wire side on the fuel pump hanger:

After going to all local auto parts stores and asking for a electrical bulkhead fitting for the fuel pump hanger (even bringing in the fuel pump hanger) they were all lost and did not know what I was talking about. Final stop at a Ace Hardware and I got all the stainless steel hardware, 12 gauge fuel rated wire, nylon washers with a insert and fuel tank sealer as well for extra insurance. Also got rid of all those factory ground rivets too and put bolts in place with new wiring. Fuel pump primes great now and sounds healthy after the install plus no more blown fuses.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I had to say good bye to my old friend. No one seemed to want a free Supra shell for a project or maybe even a drift build so it was time for it to go. Thanks for the 11 years of reliable transpiration (5 of them being a daily driver as my first car), fun times in heavy snow, car meets, winning and loosing races as well as breaking necks along the way. The next burnout will be dedicated to you.

·
Registered
578 Posts
man I need to get into this section more. honestly the site is just a cluster f sometimes finding the 10 active areas hidden in dozens of sections etc. now with the redesign the search function is harder to drill down and find stuff. sixpack had a nice fuel hanger solution (similar to what you posted) but I can't find it. seems like these cars follow the same path. step 1 add a big pump, step 2 fix the wiring (relay and + rewire mod) so it actually gets 14v, step 3 melt the factory rivet down. maybe this winter I will preventative do the rivet mod --nice work !

...and rip maroon parts car

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
man I need to get into this section more. honestly the site is just a cluster f sometimes finding the 10 active areas hidden in dozens of sections etc. now with the redesign the search function is harder to drill down and find stuff. sixpack had a nice fuel hanger solution (similar to what you posted) but I can't find it. seems like these cars follow the same path. step 1 add a big pump, step 2 fix the wiring (relay and + rewire mod) so it actually gets 14v, step 3 melt the factory rivet down. maybe this winter I will preventative do the rivet mod --nice work !

...and rip maroon parts car
Thanks. To be honest I still can not find my own build thread either lol, I have to search for it and narrow it down that way. I would highly recommend this rivet mod so you will not be stranded somewhere at the wrong time. I should have some extra submersible fuel rated wire left over that you can have when you do yours because most places do not seem to carry it especially the auto part stores. Just remind me to bring it if we meet up for a future track or car event.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Upgraded the fan clutch earlier this year from a 2003 Toyota Tacoma with the v6. Wanted to see how it handled the Summer heat and it has performed very well. It sounds like a diesel 18 wheeler de-accelerating when you first start it on a cold start up and within 15 seconds back to it's nice normal quiet operation. It pulls tons of air, way more than I could ever remember on any 7m Supra in the past.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Spray painted the original burgundy hatch carpet with a few coats of matte black fabric spray paint to replace the worn out gray carpet I originally had:

At the junkyard and found some nice OEM chrome top valve cover nuts from a early 90's 4 cylinder Corolla. I think they look better to hold the coil pack down instead ;)

Speaking of the junkyard, I found my old 87 shell. The funny thing is after I made my rounds and was getting ready to leave I see someone taking the hood and other parts off of it. He was actually a local person I knew who recently got hit in his mk3 and needed some front end parts. Glad to see more parts being salvaged from it:

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Working on the sunroof as the original aftermarket pop-up sunroof was a mess. The original install was a poor job, no rust preventive around the cutout and poor sealing causing it to leak during car washes. Bought a new CRL-SFC 17"x32" aftermarket pop up sunroof which was 1" larger on both length and width so I could cut out some small rust starting around the edges and used primer/rust preventive spray on all the newly cut bare metal:

Testing the new sunroof shell for a perfect fit:

After everything was cut perfect and test fitted, it was time to seal it all up right with some silicone on the shell and tighten down the screws:

Gotta add the glass now:

Next will be the headliner install...

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Finished up the headliner install. Picked up a tan headliner from a local junkyard hardtop Supra and painted it black. Got the right cuts done and used some U shaped trim around it for a clean install.

Also painted both front corner windshield trim pieces black to look nice again.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts