Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up some Mobil 1 15W50 synthetic oil. I Know this topic has been touched on a thousand times, but i was wondering if this oil is safe to run in 89 supra all year around.
the temperature in BC rarely dips below 0 degress celcius and high temperatures during the summer usually hit around 35 degrees celcius. On the bottle of mobil 1 it say for performance engines and on the back says safe to use on all turbo and supercharged engines. Knowing that synthetic oil is usually thinner than regular oil, do you think it will be ok to use this year around?

thanks, I am really interested in your replies

·
VIVA LA M.A.S.H. Midwest
1,451 Posts
I woulnd't go with the 15/50 in my opinion in the cold weather, you could build too much psi and blow the cam seals oh joy.... I would go with a 15/30 in cold weather or if your oil PSI will support it some 5/30.

·
Beat the hell outta tu!!
1,061 Posts
mdcmotorsports said:
I woulnd't go with the 15/50 in my opinion in the cold weather, you could build too much psi and blow the cam seals oh joy.... I would go with a 15/30 in cold weather or if your oil PSI will support it some 5/30.
The oil pressure getting up too high has nothing to do with it... the reason they don't recommend running a heavy weight oil in cold climates is because when the oil gets cold it gets very thick and doesn't pump as easily. The time when most engine wear occurs is at startup when all the engine parts are dry. To counteract this you want an oil that pumps and flows as quickly as possible. A lighter weight oil won't get as thick in cold climates, therefore reducing the damage caused during a cold start.

Ryan... to answer your question, I imagine it gets pretty cold up in your area. Consider switching to a lighter weight during the winter, but 15w50 should be fine during the summer for you. Here in TX I run the M1 15w50 year round because it never gets below 50 degrees F outside.

·
VIVA LA M.A.S.H. Midwest
1,451 Posts
SupraMK3.... "The oil pressure getting up too high has nothing to do with it..."
You must be standing on a toilet cause your are poking smot.
Just wait till the oil psi is at 100+ and you blow cam seals.
Er... wait a minute.
You have the stock oil pump.
MY BAD.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
i run it only in the warmer spring and summer. other than that my supra is in storage. it's real good oil though :)

joliroger4 ur supe is PHAT :)

·
MKIV SUPRA FREAK
1,738 Posts
i went 20w-50 and full 50w, don't ever buy them, worst oil ever to race with...robs hp's..

joliroger4 you got the same lookin supra as me :)

·
Moderator/Troll Slayer
5,894 Posts
Best oil for the MKIII thats modded IMO is 20-50 half syntheic blend...... this is going to be a flame thread i can feel it. this oil subject always brings the best outta the forums.... so let me start it........ WHO WANTS TO FIGHT.... BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!! J/K....... id go 20-50 all year round bud. JMHO

Treydeezy

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
What on earth does oil pressure have to do with the cam seals?

I would run 10W-30 if your temperatures average < 40', and 15W-50 if your temperatures average > 40'.

G

·
0 Posts
I run 15w40 during the summer but switch to 10w30 for the winter. in wisconsin we get a few -20 degree F days. My family owns a quick lube tho so i run REAL oil.(cause we have a couple thousand gallons of it) i would spend a ton on synthetic oil becuase i use like 2.5 quarts between changes.

·
2/3 HP to the Paws
1,519 Posts
Holy disinformation, batman. :batman:

I've run Mobil 1 15w50 for several years in several different Supras, even when cold, with no problems what so ever.

It won't "blow seals" nor is it "hard to pump" or thick when cold. It's thin as hell when cold (15w), and then considerably thicker when warm (50w).

Synthetic oil is not thinner nor thicker than dino oil of a given rating. 30w synthetic has exactly the same viscosity as 30w dino.

The extra viscosity in 15w50 when hot is what makes turbos real happy, and results in added oil pressure. When cold, 15w50 is slightly thicker than, say, 10w30. However, unless you're trying to run the car in extremely cold conditions, it's not going to matter.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well i just got my oil change done and even though i am going by the factory gauge (which by most peoples opinion is crap) is showing much higher. At 3000 rpm it would hit right around 2.5 kg\cm2 and after the oil change getting around 3.5 - 4 kg\cm2. Although this subject will always be debated, I think it really just depends on the car (even if it is the same engine).

·
Registered
144 Posts
suprised noones runing amsoil turbo formula on this board and no ones referenced bob the oil guy yet =)

to the person up there asking how cam seals are realated to oil pressure, the more pressure you have the more chance you take on blowing a seal out because they are not really held in by much so enough pressure will push them out..

Bill

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
MotoFool said:
suprised noones runing amsoil turbo formula on this board and no ones referenced bob the oil guy yet =)
bob the oil guy is pretty obviously sponsored by Schaeffer Oils, so there's no use in reading his biased stuff

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
MotoFool said:

to the person up there asking how cam seals are realated to oil pressure, the more pressure you have the more chance you take on blowing a seal out because they are not really held in by much so enough pressure will push them out..
Complete BS - the cam seals are only exposed to crankcase pressure, not direct oil pressure.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts