Supra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
can't spell shazam w/o it
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pics will do most of the explaining. Copy and paste from a different forum, but I thought you guys might wanna see the front. Carbon fiber lip going on it whenever I can afford it:

I will get better shots when it is all done. The last shot was taken when the primer was still wet, then I left. It still has to be wetsanded, and all the little dings worked out.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Looks GREAT
i have been thinking about that for my 91..

·
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not hard work really at all. It was my first time messin with bondo, or any body work, but it took probably... 3 or 4 hours in total. Just make sure to do it in lots of layers.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
make sure you have good adheasion.. or it might just fall off!

·
239RWHP @ 9PSI
1,882 Posts
i want to do that.. what did you use? wanna share? :)

·
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ckanderson said:
make sure you have good adheasion.. or it might just fall off!
I sanded the original paint out of the license plate indent first, and a little bit around it. Made sure it was clean of all dust, oil and debris (as stated on bondo directions). Hopefully, it will stick. If anything, it will crack, which I hope it won't.

driftedmk3 said:
i want to do that.. what did you use? wanna share? :)
-$20 Gallon bucket of Bondo
-$4 pack (small, medium, large) applicators?? Something to shape it with.
-$5 can of primer

For the tabs, I used a grinder to cut them off and shape them a little, then I applied bondo (better to do it in little bits and pieces, from my experience so far) to even it out, and hand smoothed it all (with 100grit) to a very smooth finish.

That's it really.

·
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not gonna argue with that, I can press that portion in pretty easily as it was before I primered it. No way I can afford paint this year though, so it will be taken care of by then.

·
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tony Mawad said:
Sorry, not sure if you want to hear this but,
everything shrinks with bodywork: paint, clear, filler, primer...like I said, everything.
For the license plate frame, I would think that the filler you are using will shrink too.
The filler is going to be MUCH less flexible than the surrounding area (not a good thing).
I would speculate that when the surrounding area flexes & the Bondo does not, cracks will occur (cracks would probably occur just from the shrinking I would think).

I hope I am wrong. I have never done what you are doing but I have performed lots of body work in other ways, unlike what you seem to have your sights on.

If I were in your shoes I would double check either by asking the product's customer rep, asking an autobody supplies dealer, checking the tech sheet (if there is one), or read the label to see what the max thickness you can build with that product. Then continue to put more time into it.

At least that is how I have been trained to think: limit build-up because all shrinks. If it smells, it shrinks. If it smells, that is usually solvent or chemicals that will be released. When they are released, product shrinks. Something that emits a smell is also emitting matter. One indication of how much clear coat has cured is by smelling it. No smell = much of the solvents that will be released have been already.

Just double check from a reliable source to see if you can do what you are trying to do before you spend more time/money.
Word :bigthumb: . Thanks for the awesome info man, I will ask around. This is the only spot I was lookin to bondo on the whole car anyway. When it cracks, and I expect it to, to be honest (over time, a year+) I will probably get a different front bumper. But for now, I think the little time and money I put into it was worth it.

·
Check Your Face!!!
1,417 Posts
props for trying to smooth out the license plate holder and grill tabs as opposed to just cutting, +1 :bigthumb:

·
Registered
948 Posts
me and my buddies here use fiberglass gelly, its suposed to be for using in place of plain resin, but as far as filling gaps in bumper and stuff like that, its alot more flexible than bondo.

·
stop pulling me over pigs
1,258 Posts
kewl, as long as u don't have to rock the front license plate (we have to in CT, or you get pulled over at like 1 am after you've had a couple beers-it's not worth it to me)

·
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
never had a problem, cops never said anything about it the 2 times i've been pulled over. :)

EDIT: Both charges dismissed...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts