Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to alot of peoples help on this board I have finally fixed my car and have been having alot of fun. I have a cracked intercooler pipe and a dirty fuel pump filter and crap in my tank. Now it runs great. My buddy has a wrx with up pipe, down pipe, cat back ect, BOV, intercooler pipes, and slightly upgraded turbo flows like 65 more cfm. stock fuel and comp. ect I have JBL turbo elbow, 3" exhaust ,no cats, 12 psi, apexi intake, some other mods but none that effect HP. From a dead stop I pulled about 1/2 car out of first gear. then proceeded to keep about 1 1/2 all the way up to about 120 then we shut them down. The next race we ran from a roll and I jumped him right off the bat and held the 1 1/2 lead. I am very happy with my cars performance right now. Thanks everyone, the locals are finally giving the MK3 and me some deserved respect!

·
Registered
231 Posts
nice kill...
I have raced a few Wrx's some stock some light both on...and I havent lost to one...yet.....althouth I know a wrx's can be made very very fast.....I just have yet to run into one on the street that was really fast. I wonder why we don't see more heavily modded wrx's?? I mean I run 10 ls1's to one wrx....maybe people who buy them just don't care about top end power that much.

S

·
0 Posts
Good kill. Strangely, alot of WRX's I see on the roads are owned by middle-aged women. Maybe it's because the cars dont look like sports cars and the fact that they are four doors and awd that make them attractive to that audience.

It kills me when I roll up to one to wave, only to find out Mrs. Brady is rocking the wheel. Maybe the stereotype is true, lesbians do drive Subarus!? ;)

·
Non Supra Owning
40 Posts
not flaming or anything but 12 psi is kinda low boost and he should have pulled you out of the hole if he knew how to drive. You may have caught him as you kept racing and I am not doubting your story but I just get sad when I hear of fellow WRX owners that can't launch

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He brought some time slips over to my house when we watched the titans lose the other night and he runs 13.1.-13.3 1/4 time with about a 1.7-.8 60 ft times. I know how to adjust to the cars behavior and launch fairly well I am sure not in the 1.8 range but around the 2.0. He didn't get the best launch it sounds like he isn't reving it high enough and not slipping the clutch enough. It was still fun being able to get some good racing in.

·
turbo....................
1,057 Posts
Sharky NRK said:
not flaming or anything but 12 psi is kinda low boost and he should have pulled you out of the hole if he knew how to drive. You may have caught him as you kept racing and I am not doubting your story but I just get sad when I hear of fellow WRX owners that can't launch
my friend has a wrx, he does not kno how to launch:eek:

well he said that the max boost the turbo can take, is 15psi?
is that true? that must suck:eek:

-tony v

K

·
0 Posts
the AWD doesn't really help them at speed either so that kinda slows them if their stock to lightly modded.

nice kill :bigthumb::bigthumb:

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,377 Posts
12 pounds ain't low for an mk3. that's double the stock bost. of course it can be upped a little more. 12 pounds is somewhere around the 300hp and over 300ft. lb mark

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
for me it was 285 hp and 330 ft pounds

·
no more supras
2,175 Posts
12psi is right at the fuel cut range of the mk3. at that power level vs even a 14psi wrx it would walk on it, especially on a roll :D

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another one of my friends has a 98 cobra with like 12k miles on it and a flowmaster catback and intake, I run door to door with it on a warm day. I am pretty impressed with the power of the BPU MK3!

·
Non Supra Owning
40 Posts
sorry I meant 12 lbs is low on the WRX, I read the post wrong on that part. With the WRX you have to get the launch right, it can make or brake the race from a dig, if he launched it like the car can be launched or like he did when he got a 1.7 or 1.8 60' you would not have pulled him out of the hole, driven right the race would have been at least a bit different from a dig. Now if you are putting down close the 300 whp then you probably would have run him down so I am not doubting your kill at all. From a roll on the other hand we WRX drivers are at a severe disadvantage, and I will be the first to admit it. Cars we walk all over from a dig can put up a fight from a roll, blame the AWD, tiny stock turbo, miserably long 4th gear, its just not our home field if you get me. Good kills either way and nice car, I hope I can run into a BPU MKIII some time and try my hand at it.

Oh and its generally well known that past 16.5 or 17 psi, the stock turbo is making far more heat than pushing air, but you can run 15 or so all day long.

F

·
0 Posts
good for u man. i had a lot of lil problems with my gsx when i first bought it. between boost leaks and bad clutch, slave and master cylinder. but i recently got it running right and a lil more modded. it feels good to be running right. now i feel the real power of my car. and rack lots more kills too. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
100 Posts
i have a wrx. its fun to drive, top end it isnt that fast but its quick. on a my stock wrx ive gone about 140mph. when ive gone to the track my 0-60' is 2.0x, may i remind you it is stock. i havent seen that many fixed up wrx that run 10s. There are a few running low 12s with a stock turbo. from a still they are pretty fast, it depends alot on driver

on my wrx 1st gear only boost 10psi then after that its up to 14. The stock turbo can handle 16psi safely after that it becomes less efficent (sp?). what will reallly help a wrx is a computer reflash, on a stock car its good up to 30hp and about 25 lbs of torque.

·
Objectivity
83 Posts
bubba03wrx said:
i have a wrx. its fun to drive, top end it isnt that fast but its quick. on a my stock wrx ive gone about 140mph. when ive gone to the track my 0-60' is 2.0x, may i remind you it is stock. i havent seen that many fixed up wrx that run 10s. There are a few running low 12s with a stock turbo. from a still they are pretty fast, it depends alot on driver

on my wrx 1st gear only boost 10psi then after that its up to 14. The stock turbo can handle 16psi safely after that it becomes less efficent (sp?). what will reallly help a wrx is a computer reflash, on a stock car its good up to 30hp and about 25 lbs of torque.
You don't say?

Thanks for the new info.

·
A T-Rex going "Rawr!"
2,778 Posts
Nice kill! Two cool cars.

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
good kill....long live the MK3! :) there are a few WRX's round here that are going to get a suprise if they keep pushing me and its not going to be pretty :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts