Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an ancient Pioneer setup that's due for a change and upgrade to today's standards. It's an old Pioneer AVX-P7000CD head-unit with the AVM-P8000R amplifier/tuner/etc. 15 years old I think ? Nice Focal speakers front and rear, but still stock sub. All OEM wiring. Been working fine, but time for Android Auto, backup camera, phone integration etc.

I'll replace the sub with a MagicBox and a nice 5-ch amp to go under the seat. New heavier-gauge wiring for everything. But now the choice for a head-unit ... Don't really need CD/DVD, I use Google Music for everything (and Pandora etc.). The existing AVX is a single-din with a 7" pop-out display, and that's been a good form-factor - it's nice to have that little single-din pocket underneath it for stuff. It uses a remote for controls, which is both good and bad. Bad that you have to fumble with a remote for volume and tiny buttons, good that passenger hands aren't flopping around the head-unit right when you're shifting ...

For the new one, I think a physical volume knob is a big plus - to hell with passengers (Keep Hands AWAY).

So, not married to single-din, or to anything really. Want something that does Android Auto nicely, has a good screen, ergonomic controls, one or two video inputs. Signals will all go to the 5-ch amp.

Be good to hear opinions ... Got this one, it's great, wish it did XYZ. Stay away from that one, rotten quality.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,180 Posts
I just ordered the Sony XAV-AX100. Checks all of your boxes too. Matches the Supra interior very well. No CD/DVD slot at all. I'm pairing it with a JL Audio XD700/5v2 5-channel amp. Stock sub enclosure with aftermarket driver.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just ordered the Sony XAV-AX100. Checks all of your boxes too. Matches the Supra interior very well. No CD/DVD slot at all. I'm pairing it with a JL Audio XD700/5v2 5-channel amp. Stock sub enclosure with aftermarket driver.
I've been running the AX100 in my 4Runner for about a year. Wouldn't hesitate to use one in my supra. My backup camera displays on the rearview mirror so I can't comment on cam quality, but it's been solid otherwise. Volume knob is small but usable. I use android auto 95% of the time.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They have the AX200 which adds a CD slot and a few updates. Otherwise the same. Also the AX5000 with a bigger screen and no knob.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I have to admit, that combo I currently have was awesome (still is to be honest). Just lacking in current tech. The new Pioneer NEX stuff looks pretty cool.

But it's been such a de-facto choice for so long, was wondering what else was available.

So what have people installed in the last year or so ? Or what are you about to install ?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I was recently in the same position I have an old eclipse ANV and really like it but it was missing some of the new features. I was looking at the Pioneer 4400NEX and the Alpine 207. both of the have CarPlay and android auto. it was a hard choice for me but I went with the alpine I like how the audio from a phone call came through all the speakers my supra is very loud and I have always have trouble hearing the person I was talking to in the car. the Alpine had a few other small things that I liked better. I have only had it a few weeks now on the only this I wish it had was a volume mute button on the face. I has a mute button you have to push one of the volume button and when it appears on screen touch the screen. I did a ton of research about them online, watched some review videos, and then went to the audio store and played with each one. I even took my usb cord for my phone in with me to so I test it. If you have an questions about the Alpine 207 let me know. I have it paired with 4" jl audio C5 mid bass in the stock enclosures for the doors, JL audio C3 6.5 in the rear, and Alpine PDX 400x4 amp.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah that Alpine really looks nice. They even have a 9" screen :) Kenwood has a good lineup too, with higher res capacitive screen. Right now top seems to be

Kenwood 9905s
Alpine 207
Pioneer 4400nex

Have to find somewhere with them to go push buttons and play with them.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I think the Kenwood has a build in memory. the setting are saved even when the headunit is disconnected from the power source which would be a great feature for storing the car during winter.

·
NY56637
1,813 Posts
Another vote for the Sony XAV-AX100. I've had mine installed for a year or so now and love it. It pretty much mirrors the functions on your phone as it has Apple Car Play and Android Auto. It also has a nice/ clean OEM look as well.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm thinking I'll pick one and install just the head unit. Yank the old Pioneer and amp out, let the HU drive the speakers for now. Installing the amp, Magicbox, wiring etc. will be a seats/carpet/trim out situation, which is a good winter project. That way I get the basics in place, new functionality, test and play with it, return/exchange if necessary.

Also have to replace the hatch struts, which means all the rear trim off just to get to those damn-forever-damned nuts in the body. Why of why couldn't they have used a regular ball/socket on the lower end ...

And finally, that would be a good time for a front/rear dashcam to go in ...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Have not actually used one, but the new Kenwood stuff looks to be pretty nice. Has inputs for a dash cam and reversing cam, proper touch screen and as of 2018 a decent resolution screen.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Kenwood DDX-9905S looks like a winner. Higher res screen, and capacitive, not resistive. I tried a couple of resistive types, didn't like them.

It's expensive - $899 almost everywhere, but onlinecarstereo.com advertises them for $604, but "currently unavailable".

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I do not recommend Kenwood anymore. The one in my Supra is about 3 years old and it works well but I just put a new double din, dvd, excelon in my Sienna and it's a complete POS. The radio reception is absolutely dreadful, I have the antenna completely unplugged in my Supra (don't want the power antenna to go up) and yet that car still get's much better reception than the Van. I work literally 5 minutes outside the city and I have no reception at work, even in town I can only get some of the major stations sometimes. The bluetooth takes a solid 5 minutes or more to connect to my phone to stream audio and from reviews, apparently these performance issues are just how they are now. Also recently it has started intermittently cutting sound to the speakers, pretty much any drive over 20 minutes you can bet a portion of it will be in silence. Really disappointing because I used to love Kenwood, but never again will I purchase another one. I just got this one in June. OEM radio worked lovely, I wish it didn't break so I could put it back in.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I do not recommend Kenwood anymore. The one in my Supra is about 3 years old and it works well but I just put a new double din, dvd, excelon in my Sienna and it's a complete POS. The radio reception is absolutely dreadful, I have the antenna completely unplugged in my Supra (don't want the power antenna to go up) and yet that car still get's much better reception than the Van. I work literally 5 minutes outside the city and I have no reception at work, even in town I can only get some of the major stations sometimes. The bluetooth takes a solid 5 minutes or more to connect to my phone to stream audio and from reviews, apparently these performance issues are just how they are now. Also recently it has started intermittently cutting sound to the speakers, pretty much any drive over 20 minutes you can bet a portion of it will be in silence. Really disappointing because I used to love Kenwood, but never again will I purchase another one. I just got this one in June. OEM radio worked lovely, I wish it didn't break so I could put it back in.
Did you try the firmware update? It usually helps all the issues with Kenwood. The have software updates and Bluetooth updates. Check on the site. You will need a SD card or USB. Check the manual.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Also recently it has started intermittently cutting sound to the speakers, pretty much any drive over 20 minutes you can bet a portion of it will be in silence.
My single-din Kenwood KDC-X998 does something similar to this. It's never consistent though. Head unit will show that the music/audio is still playing, but I get dead sound playing. I assumed it was either my head unit or the amp. Every once in a while, the unit will freeze as well to where I'd have to remove the faceplate to get it to work again. Bluetooth signal gets choppy if I move my phone any distance further than my doors. :\ Maybe it's my particular unit, but I'm a bit disappointed seeing how this was Kenwood's top-of-the-line, flagship Excelon model.

I'll probably end up replacing it with a single-din Pioneer DEH-80PRS by year's end.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bluetooth is always flaky. I have a Jag XF as a daily, and soon as I step out google music gets choppy. I can stand by the door, but that's it. Been the same with rental cars too - seems the head-unit bluetooth reception is never that good.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Bluetooth is always flaky. I have a Jag XF as a daily, and soon as I step out google music gets choppy. I can stand by the door, but that's it. Been the same with rental cars too - seems the head-unit bluetooth reception is never that good.
It's odd, cuz a buddy of mine had the exact same head unit i have and his bluetooth connection was good from across his 2-car garage. :\ oh well

·
Registered
391 Posts
I've wondered what kinda head unit guys are using. I never have done any audio stuff to my car but I'd like to get a touch screen unit with apple car play. I was looking at Pioneer AVH 1330NEX The screen is 6.2in. The units you guys are posting are bigger than that. What size is the perfect fit for the stock location?

Don't mean to ask alot but what wire harness are you guys using that's a plug and play?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts