Supra Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Plug-n-play will depend on what you have (stock amp or not, subwoofer or not) and what you want to do ... There's a great thread here on using a new head-unit with stock amp to drive subwoofer : you have several choices :

New head-unit driving all speakers except sub
New head-unit + amp driving all speaker + sub (what I'm doing)
New head-unit driving speakers and stock amp driving sub (thread)

To connect to stock speaker wiring you want a Metra 71-1761 - that's the female connectors to hook to the IH1/IH2 connectors which lead to the speakers. Note - no sub, for that check out the thread above, or add a 5-ch amp.

In general, soon as you bump the speakers and power I hear it's worthwhile pulling in new speaker wire.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,180 Posts
Sony XAV-AX100 installed:

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,180 Posts
The screen is 6.2in. The units you guys are posting are bigger than that. What size is the perfect fit for the stock location?
Any double-DIN stereo will fit. the 6.2 inch screens usually have a volume knob and other buttons on the left side. The 7 inch screens usually have a row of push buttons along the bottom edge.

To connect to stock speaker wiring you want a Metra 71-1761 - that's the female connectors to hook to the IH1/IH2 connectors which lead to the speakers.
Shouldn't that be Metra 70-1761 ? I have a set brand new (unused) if anyone needs one.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
It may be. The terminology is confusing ... female refers to the pins in the connector per Toyota, but that connector is male-looking. So some people refer to it as a male piece.

I believe the IH1 IH2 connectors are male housing/female pins, so you would want the Metra harness with female housing/male pins.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,180 Posts
^ Having just done this last night, I can confirm that the Metra 70-1761 is a female housing with male pins, and mates with the IH1 IH2 connectors.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The connectors coming from the harness or those on the tunnel leading down to the amp under the seat ?

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,180 Posts
The connectors coming from the harness or those on the tunnel leading down to the amp under the seat ?
The Metra 70-1761 is a female housing with male pins, and mates with the harness side IH1 IH2 connectors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here are some of the top reasons why a double DIN head unit is considered to be a good option :

1. Ensuring safety
2. Higher connectivity
3. Better compatibility
4. Effective sound quality
5. GPS navigation

Recently I have bought Pioneer AVH4200NEX. This product has been rated as one of the best double din head unit, available in the market. It features the network entertainment experience which is considered to be the unique combination of cloud-based services as well as inbuilt features.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Gotta admit, I'm a little swayed by some of the generic Android head units out there. Lots (lots!) cheaper, but look very nice, with all the features etc. of the expensive name-brand ones.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Gotta admit, I'm a little swayed by some of the generic Android head units out there. Lots (lots!) cheaper, but look very nice, with all the features etc. of the expensive name-brand ones.
I have a few friends running the generic eBay China Android head units and they don't have any major complaints about them for what they paid. They said it's like using your phone, but a bit bigger.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Anyone using a tire-pressure monitor with their head unit ? I have an older one from Koolance that ties into the backup-camera feed - works OK. I see a lot of the generic Android head-units can use a USB tire-pressure monitor system, so it's an actual app that can pop up.

I don't think you can use one of those with a name-brand head-unit - I don't think you can load/run generic apps like that :(

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm interested in adding gauges but using the head unit real-estate to display their outputs. Has someone come up with a way to run a digital gauge outputs (fuel/oil/boost) to the video inputs on a head unit? If so I want that head unit. Been swinging and missing on Google searches for a couple days now.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts