Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
...pop the hood!
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
plan on starting my build once my new 80x40 workshop is done. it had been on hold since toyota announced the new "supra" a few years back...

since ive decided several months ago to not get one, im using the money saved to finally build a shop and my dream mkiv.

i want to find all the best parts and mods to try and do things right the first time. one of which it to add modern touches.

what have you guys/gals done to update your supra? looking for anything to improve drivability, longevity, interior (creature comforts) and of course exterior upgrades.

please discuss...

·
...pop the hood!
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First thing is a good head unit and rearview backup camera with it. They make aftermarket blind spot detection too if you drive in a lot of traffic
any recommendations? ive been out of the "sound system" game for a while. my last venture was with my 350z that i had 4-5 years back.

the blind spot detection is a great option id be interested in.

·
Kappa Check 1 2
720 Posts
A must have for modernization is Stu's work on the gauge cluster and HVAC, he also now offers an overlay to make the ODO appear white. His site has plenty of examples.

Also we need pics of the shop!

-Rich

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
I enjoy parts that improve the functionality while still retaining the character of the car. Here are 2 aesthetic mods and 2 performance parts that are very functional and yet subtle:

-HID projector retrofit (s2000/TSX etc). The headlights still look exactly like factory but at night the light output is incredible.

-JDM 2002 carbon fiber oem Steering wheel (Factory option in Japan)

Performance wise my 2 would be:
-Good ECU (Motec M150, Syvecs, or ProEFI). I have had all 3 of these on my car and they are fantastic.

-Added VVTi (From 2002 JDM TT Supra)

·
...pop the hood!
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A must have for modernization is Stu's work on the gauge cluster and HVAC, he also now offers an overlay to make the ODO appear white. His site has plenty of examples.

Also we need pics of the shop!

-Rich
yeah ive see his stuff over the years and love it. i plan on adding his lighting...just not sure at this point what colors im gonna go with.

as far the shop goes, it will be a faily simple metal building w/12-14 ft. tall walls and brickwork about 4ft tall around it to match the house.

also, 3 roll up doors, 2 in the front on each end 1 in the back to draw air through the shop on those hot summer days.

any ideas on building the shop are also welcome.

·
...pop the hood!
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I enjoy parts that improve the functionality while still retaining the character of the car. Here are 2 aesthetic mods and 2 performance parts that are very functional and yet subtle:

-HID projector retrofit (s2000/TSX etc). The headlights still look exactly like factory...
thanks for the tips and all the pics...

i did plan on using those headlights. i had the thread on it subbed a while back, but not sure if i can find it since the forum changed lol.

forget who, but does someone on here still do the retrofit?

thanks for posting about the steering wheel...was not aware of the stock cf version. i plan on using the 3 spoke, again someone here refurbishes them and was gonna go that route or a really nice aftermarket.

any other suggestions on a.m. steering wheels guys?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Agree with everything that everyone has mentioned.

As far as the head unit, this is the one I'm going to be using in all of my cars.

If you don't already have a full stand alone, I would recommend that as well.
If you want to keep the OEM gauges the retrofit/fix sounds good. I'm going with a full digital cluster mounted on an OEM gauge cluster pod that will be fiberglassed over so it is smooth.
There is also one for the MoTeC(?) I believe that fits perfectly, but I'm not sure if the MoTeC digital cluster is a universal item like the ADU (resale value when upgrading in the future).

any other suggestions on a.m. steering wheels guys?
Sky is the limit with them. Do local laws require an airbag?
You can get any basic Nardi or Momo, or if you want more of an OEM type geared toward Toyota specifically a TOM's or TRD. If you plan on going nuts with the car then there are high end racing wheels with multiple buttons on them to interface with your stand alone. My brother is building a Datsun for a guy that's using a wheel with like eight wireless buttons on it or something nuts. I can ask him more about it if you want.

The other stuff I recommend is going Coil-on-plug and DBW (eliminates a lot of old tech in the intake stream that causes restrictions and makes tuning much easier).

If you haven't done this yet, get the car on a lift and check all of the rubber in the suspension. Freshening up cracked/compressed bushes will really make a big difference in the feel of the car if you drive it often. Other stuff like using strut bars to further prevent chassis flex will also make it feel a lot closer to 'new' even if you don't plan on tracking the car on a road course.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,294 Posts
Supra modernization recipe:
  • Head unit: one of the Sony XAV-AX units. They're all great and look perfect in a Supra dash. Double-DIN touchscreen. Android Auto or Apple CarPlay to match your phone. There's a good thread on these here from the past year or so.
  • Backup camera mounted in the center bumper screw hole (in the ledge above the license plate).
  • Instrument cluster: Stu's LEDs of course.
  • Headlights: 97/98 style, with HID retrofit if you can afford it.
  • Parking lights: LED "bulbs" to match your headlight color temperature.
  • Dome lights: LED "bulbs".
  • Wheels: to your taste. 18" diameter (any larger starts getting harsh, unless you like that kind of thing).
  • Electronic traction control: Racelogic if you're on the stock ECU, or most any standalone will handle this. Stock traction control delete.
  • Seats: Recaro.
  • Steering wheel: late model Supra (only) 3-spoke if that's your taste, with airbag. They are hollow for weight savings.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,294 Posts
I added a Sony xav-ax100 thanks to @bitshftr last month and it has been an excellent mod. Apple car play and a volume knob, love it.
(y) I have that exact one in my NA, but I use the Android Auto feature instead of Apple CarPlay. And the volume knob! Love it. I put a very subtle electric guitar knob rubber cover over mine and can spin it easily with 1 finger.

·
...pop the hood!
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
(y) I have that exact one in my NA, but I use the Android Auto feature instead of Apple CarPlay. And the volume knob! Love it. I put a very subtle electric guitar knob rubber cover over mine and can spin it easily with 1 finger.
pic please...i play guitar lol

·
Registered
521 Posts
If you're going to put HIDs in a Supra do it right and replace the stock projectors with RX350 projectors. The improvement over a HID plug and play kit is significant. There are brackets available which make it a fairly easy retrofit.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,294 Posts

·
...pop the hood!
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^^^ that is sweet...thanks for the link & pic

·
Super Moderator
10,362 Posts
If you're going to put HIDs in a Supra do it right and replace the stock projectors with RX350 projectors. The improvement over a HID plug and play kit is significant. There are brackets available which make it a fairly easy retrofit.
I have Lexus RX 350 retrofits on two of my cars (Honda S2000 on the third) and these are in the conversation as one of the best mods I've done. Not cheap but highly recommended nonetheless.

Ken.

·
Administrator
8,492 Posts
Stu hagen cluster upgrade, dual bi xenon hid conversion with rx350s and morimoto d2s projectors, and android headunit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It depends on the condition of your Supra, but I'd say more than likely you'll want to get new HVAC buttons. They have a tendency to yellow over time. A new set will probably run you around $80-$100, but it's absolutely worth it if you ask me.

·
Game Over
1,217 Posts
If you plan to run a modern Ecu with a CAN Bus system, you can run a GaugeArt. I was able to get rid of all of my extra wiring from external gauges, and simply wire in all the aftermarket engine sensors via the engine harness, and then hook up the GaugeArt via Canbus and double-din with a VGA input.

You can also switch back between the GaugeArt or your radio, but you cannot run them both at the same time.

You get to layout the gauges to your preference, and upload any image you draw up, and it has most channels that you need. Only downside so far, it is missing the Ethanol content channel, and it can be a bit finicky to setup online, but overall well worth it.

GaugeArt by Samson Wang, on Flickr

GaugeArt Testing by Samson Wang, on Flickr

I agree with everyone else's post about 3-spoke steering wheel, modern lighting, HID retrofit, modern ECU's, and VVT-i, ect.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts